Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP612 - L6.06 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

Noticed last night,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Mine also has it this morning. Must have been downloaded in the last two days. The custom folders feature has been added.

I'm doing a hard reboot now. When you get a software update, as soon as you can you should always do a "hard" reboot - unplug your box, wait 20 seconds, then plug it back in and leave it alone to let it do its thing which will take awhile.

This may not be necessary but sometimes it clears up problems with new software/firmware releases.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

ViP612 - L6.06 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

Please use this thread to post your experiences and bugs found with this release.

Be sure when you report an issue or an experience be sure to include details and specify what receiver you saw it on. We definitely have seen some issues be receiver model specific so including the model is always good practice.

After receiving an update, if your box does not appear to be operating properly first step should be, find a ten minute period where nothing is recording, and then pull out the AC plug for 20 seconds and then plug it back in.

Reported Fixes or new Features:
  • Ability to customer folders (MyGroups)

Reported Possible New Issues:

Other Reported Highs and Lows:

Moderator Note: Feel free to report getting it or not, but don't be surprised if we sweep through and delete those type of posts with an update at the top indicating the state of the roll out.

Edited by Ron Barry, 28 August 2009 - 10:38 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   chewey

chewey

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

I've noticed fewer audio dropouts. Is it just me or is it possibly the software.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

I recorded this week's "Glee" from our local Fox station KTVU off the satellite. Still had video problems - almost like skipped frames and some pixelation.

I can't wait for the fall season to start....

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   et121212

et121212

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

No difference noticed. Still reboot occasionally, still problems with OTA reception.

Today I noticed that the optical out stopped working but it is ok now after replacing the optical cable. Very odd, I have never had a cable go bad on me (this cable happens to be a name brand that I paid a few times more than the others I picked up from an internet site).

#7 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

I keep losing my OTA timer for only one of my locals. 019.1. Never had a problem with my OTA before. I tried everything that I had read from other posts and no luck. I'm in Cleveland and 019.1 is cbs.

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

When did you start loosing it. If it does not seem to match a software update cycle I would take a look at AVSForums HD locals section and see if others are reporting any issues that seem to match your timeframe. If it all of a suddenly happens my guess is something in the source stream has changed.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   opus223

opus223

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

I only noticed it on Sunday 9-20-09 because I was setting my timers for the new season of shows and I only need my OTA on Mondays and Fridays. I had asked my wife that if she had set the timers and she had said yes, so I checked and didn't find them on the guide, but they were on the timers list but not showing on the guide. Tonight I had tested the timers on another channel and the same thing is happening... the timers just disappear. Thank goodness I have another dvr and the external hard drive. I'm trying to solve with everbodies help before I call E*

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

Well, I got my first freeze, reboot with L6.06. So that problem wasn't solved. Oh well....

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   jsteppe

jsteppe

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

The issues I am having with my VIP612 appear to be what others are reporting: intermittent video/audio skipping on recordings. My perception is that all programing coming in is "recorded" whether the record light is on or not. Those designated "record" are saved to the hard drive for future viewing. The live TV is recorded on a area of the drive also so that when a program is paused, it can still be viewed but it is not saved. If that is the case, it seems there could be a hardware issue with the hard drive. However, because I work on computers, I know that firmware can fix what appears to be hardware problems. My DVR has the latest firmware (6.06) but I am wondering if there is a quality issue with the hardware, in particular, the hard drive. I just "upgraded" to this DVR earlier in the month with Dish. The older model I had worked much better than this one (my second since upgrading).

#12 OFFLINE   et121212

et121212

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

My 612 is about 13 month old and is showing its age. It would reboot on its own frequently (however it seems that I only have the problem when I am watching OTA channels) and the audio/video would skip from time to time (I did not have this problem before).

I am not sure what to do (I unplugged the unit overnight but the problem would come back after a day or two). Can I ask Dish to replace the unit for me?

#13 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

I need help regarding a switch from Dvr510 to a vip612. The only reason for doing this is buying an HDTV. Else love the 510. I have heard a lot of bad reviews regarding the Vip612. Please give me a fair opinion. Also, will I have to change the dishes?. I have a 61.5 and 110 and 119?

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

I went from a Dishplayer 7100 pointed at 61.5, 110 and 119 to a pair of 612s hooked up to an 'eastern arc' dish back in January.

While I've had to replace the 612s, the replacement units have worked well - only one annoying thing comes up constantly and it has to do with a recurring timer for an RSN event in HD - seems like it's "start a minute early" feature means it never gets the hit to 'turn on'.

Other than that, they've performed very well. I've had 1TB drives hooked up to both of them and my only complaint THERE is that it takes a LONG time to delete files when you have 800GB+ filled up. I wanted to delete a couple of seasons worth of a few shows and it was 'working' for a very long time.

On the whole I'm very happy with what I have.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

I need help regarding a switch from Dvr510 to a vip612. The only reason for doing this is buying an HDTV. Else love the 510. I have heard a lot of bad reviews regarding the Vip612. Please give me a fair opinion. Also, will I have to change the dishes?. I have a 61.5 and 110 and 119?

I have both a 722 and a 612. With the two on the most recent software versions, they seem to be running about the same with regard to reliability and operation except when it comes to pushing the 612. I seem to get a few more frequent recording errors (momentary freezes and other minor glitches) when I'm recording two HD shows while watching a recording skipping commercials, etc.

I use external hard drives to archive recordings and have discovered that it seems to not glitch as much while recording if I'm watching recordings directly from the EHD and that goes for both machines.

It does take longer for the 612 to move recordings to and from the EHD and delete recordings. But it is a factor of something like 15%.

If I could get locals off the air, I would get a 722k with the module.

The ViP DVR's are complex computers and do have their problems, but most people are reasonably happy with them.

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

I went from a Dishplayer 7100 pointed at 61.5, 110 and 119 to a pair of 612s hooked up to an 'eastern arc' dish back in January.

While I've had to replace the 612s, the replacement units have worked well - only one annoying thing comes up constantly and it has to do with a recurring timer for an RSN event in HD - seems like it's "start a minute early" feature means it never gets the hit to 'turn on'.

Other than that, they've performed very well. I've had 1TB drives hooked up to both of them and my only complaint THERE is that it takes a LONG time to delete files when you have 800GB+ filled up. I wanted to delete a couple of seasons worth of a few shows and it was 'working' for a very long time.

On the whole I'm very happy with what I have.

Thankyou both!! It seems I was completely misinformed that I would have to change my dishes to 118.7 due to the change in LNB'S for Vip 612 to work..

Edited by Nina, 01 November 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thankyou both!! It seems I was completely misinformed that I would have to change my dishes to 118.7 due to the change in LNB'S for Vip 612 to work..

I get my signal with two 500's aimed at 110/119 and at 129. So it should be no problem for you unless your HD locals are on a different satellite then your current 110/119/61.5 configuration. I can't tell where you are located, but it is possible that if your locals are on one of the Eastern Arc satellites other than 61.5, you may have to change your dish configuration.

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Nina

Nina

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

I get my signal with two 500's aimed at 110/119 and at 129. So it should be no problem for you unless your HD locals are on a different satellite then your current 110/119/61.5 configuration. I can't tell where you are located, but it is possible that if your locals are on one of the Eastern Arc satellites other than 61.5, you may have to change your dish configuration.

I am in Pensylvannia. The only reason I am getting 612 is the option for recording two different proagrammes at the same time. Or else, the south asian channels are not Hd anyways. Thanks for your help.

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

I am in Pensylvannia. The only reason I am getting 612 is the option for recording two different proagrammes at the same time. Or else, the south asian channels are not Hd anyways. Thanks for your help.

Ok. Sounds like you've got it figured out for your needs.

Since you were going for a 612 rather than an all SD 625 dual recorder, I thought you might want your locals in HD. Pennsylvania is all over the place, Philly HD locals are on 61.5, but Pittsburg is on 188 & 129, Erie and Johnstown/Altoona are on 129, Harrisburg is on 77.

Let us know how it works out for you.:)

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Got the VIP 612 approx 1 month ago and it's running L606 and it will freeze solid. It doesn't listen to the remote and only listens to a soft reboot and power plug reboot. This is just watching an HD channel like ESPN and not a recording of anything.

Is anyone else experiencing this? A post from phrelin in September seemed to imply it's happening to people and maybe they're just living with it but then he just posted a week or so ago and that he's just getting momentary freezes.

Maybe since noone has posted about this since then noone is seeing this any longer and it's possibly a bad unit?

This is not happening to my other receivers (622/722/501/etc).

spam firewall