Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP612 - L6.06 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   santoshphenomenal

santoshphenomenal

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Noticed last night,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HDdude24

HDdude24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Noticed last night,

Well I hoping it my freezing on my 612's would stop after the update... They keep freezing with the picture freezing and sound still going or sound would stop and the picture still working?

#23 OFFLINE   Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

Got the VIP 612 approx 1 month ago and it's running L606 and it will freeze solid. It doesn't listen to the remote and only listens to a soft reboot and power plug reboot. This is just watching an HD channel like ESPN and not a recording of anything.

Is anyone else experiencing this? A post from phrelin in September seemed to imply it's happening to people and maybe they're just living with it but then he just posted a week or so ago and that he's just getting momentary freezes.

Maybe since noone has posted about this since then noone is seeing this any longer and it's possibly a bad unit?

This is not happening to my other receivers (622/722/501/etc).

As of last night, this still happens to me as well. Only on the 612, not the 622, and happens maybe once a night or every other night.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Got the VIP 612 approx 1 month ago and it's running L606 and it will freeze solid. It doesn't listen to the remote and only listens to a soft reboot and power plug reboot. This is just watching an HD channel like ESPN and not a recording of anything.

Is anyone else experiencing this? A post from phrelin in September seemed to imply it's happening to people and maybe they're just living with it but then he just posted a week or so ago and that he's just getting momentary freezes.

Maybe since noone has posted about this since then noone is seeing this any longer and it's possibly a bad unit?

This is not happening to my other receivers (622/722/501/etc).

Both are happening to me. Because I have two DVR's simply to be able to record four shows at the same time, I've taken to moving recordings from the 612 to an EHD and playing them back on my 722. It doesn't seem to lock up completely which is a real pain, but it also still has 3-12 second freezes.:confused:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   garne2t

garne2t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:30 PM

Don't buy a ViP612. You'll be in for major problems if you do.

I just got off the phone with Dish Network to resolve the problems with my fourth 612. The whole call took 1 hour. Yes, I have been through FOUR 612's at this point, warranty replacements by Dish, and they ALL have problems. Skips, freezes are consistent problems with every 612 box I have had. The current box jumbled large sections of shows at times like the entire 3rd period of a recorded hockey game I was watching.

So, I've been back and forth with Dish and spoken to a dozen people about this. A couple of months ago, after another hour on the phone, the supervisor committed to giving me a free upgrade to a 622. I had the agent spell it out very carefully to get a clear agreement.

Nothing happened. No 622 arrived.

So, call Dish again. I explained I had a clear agreement with the previous agent. But they denied it and said the previous agent didn't note that in my account. Here we go again.

Back to all the same arguements I had been through on my previous call. "We can't replace your DVR since you didn't buy it from us," they said. "We'll lease you one instead."

"Why would I want to lease a receiver when I already bought one? If I brought my new car in that was under warranty for repairs that was clearly a lemon and they told me 'we'll give you a lease to replace it,' do you think that's reasonable?" I said

"Uhh. We'll that's all we can do" they said.

I explained Dish was responsible for supporting the warranty and clearly after 4 boxes we have established this DVR to be defective.

"Let me check with my supervisor."

After holding 5 minutes, he comes back still denying responsibility.

30 minutes back and forth and I finally insist to talk with the supervisor.

"They will just tell you the same thing" the agent says.

Finally spoke to the supervisor and after another 20 minutes got them to agree to upgrade me for no charge. This time they said they would upgrade me to a ViP722. From what I've seen here the 722 works better. Let's hope I get the upgrade this time and it works!

#26 OFFLINE   jkinzel

jkinzel

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Both are happening to me. Because I have two DVR's simply to be able to record four shows at the same time, I've taken to moving recordings from the 612 to an EHD and playing them back on my 722. It doesn't seem to lock up completely which is a real pain, but it also still has 3-12 second freezes.:confused:

I have to ask, How do you transfer an already recorded show/movie from the 612 to a EHD? i.e. where in the menu do you go, must you have the one time EHD activation done, etc.

Edited by jkinzel, 21 November 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:50 PM

I have to ask, How do you transfer an already recorded show/movie from the 612 to a EHD? i.e. where in the menu do you go, must you have the one time EHD activation done, etc.

To use an external hard drive, you first must activate the service.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#28 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

It's now 11/22, almost 4 months since I first reported HDCP/890 Error Message to DISH on 7/29/09......I was hoping that the HDCP problem would end with the upgrade of the VIP612 firmware to L606 recently ......However, I still get the 890 error message when I try to order PPV or VOD movies. No call backs or help from DISH.....I have given up on them almost completely now.....I even sent a polite note to DISH CEO Charlie Ergen(ceoofdishnetwork@dishnetwork.com) and not even a reply return note.....My DISH VIP612 still thinks my new SONY Bravia does not support HDCP protocol which is absolutely not true per SONY. The only good news is that I've saved a sizeable chunck of dollars by refusing to order any movies from DISH...It's almost cheaper to wait and get the movies I want to keep from discount video stores. Again I will not use RGB component video cables as des627 suggests, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am staying with my HDMI cable period....

#29 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

Again I will not use RGB component video cables as des627 suggests, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am staying with my HDMI cable period....

If that offers you a work-around, why not?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#30 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thanks to all that replied to my inquiry on if your 612 is still freezing. It sounds like it's still an issue for many and not a hardware issue (or at least a hardware issue particular to just my unit). Hopefully this gets resolved with a future software update.

I'm still going to call Dish to add one more complaint from another customer to hopefully get someone assigned to resolving this issue.

#31 OFFLINE   Rogernet

Rogernet

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

For those who did not catch this update on my starter thread, I posted this last week:

Good News VIP612 and HDCP Problem....I hope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi......to all of you that have been suffering this problem since last July. DISH has indicated they have isolated the HDCP problem with SONY and other HDTVs and a fix should be available within 2 months. They have successfully tested it with a Beta version, per a very good Dish Technical
expert who actually called me back this evening after I escalated through the standard DISH Help Desk process. This is the first time that anyone from DISH has ever called me back and offered to work with me to solve the problem.....I volunteered to further beta test the fix if they wanted me to.
The DISH Tech also suggested a receiver upgrade to a VIP722 for those who do not wish to wait any longer.....not sure if it would be no cost or not to go from a 612 to a 722, but you can ask. The other option is to pull your HDMI cable and spend $$ and time to go back to old RGB cable quality.

As I mentioned last week, I requested that SONY send me their latest firmware which I installed on Saturday, 1-9-10, to be sure I was at the most current level for most Bravia Models BR2-BR7s. They will send you a plug-in for your USB port which takes only 5 minutes to upgrade. (Release is FE-01.96-BE-1.429C which first came out of March of 2009). This is optional but a good idea if you bought your set before last March like me.

I will keep you posted on this....not sure if the fix will be in firmware L607 or L608. For now, I will keep my VIP612, save a few $$ by not ordering any PPVs or VODs for the next few months.....Don't let anyone at DISH tell you that you must have to go back to old technology RGB cables to see the PPVs on HDTVs like SONY.

#32 OFFLINE   nicedeboy26

nicedeboy26

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

My two 612's do not show caller ID

#33 OFFLINE   Jpriest007

Jpriest007

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Anyone heard anything about when they are going to upgrade from L606.

#34 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:23 AM

"soon":lol:
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

#35 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Per my post on November 12th and other's posts the 612 is/was having freezing every day or two. Recently, within the last week or two, it's now freezing a couple times a day so it's getting worse.

Not sure if there was a recent software update, we're running v609, since my bookmark that pointed to all the receiver software versions doesn't work any longer and a quick search at dish's support site doesn't bring anything up.

Spoke with front end tech support and they said I should get a new receiver since the hard reboots aren't fixing the problem. Yeah, it's the same thing everyone has heard on this thread. He said it would be $15 to get a new receiver shipped to me. He said I could get it shipped free if I signed up for the warranty service. I said how is that for free if it's $6/month and if you cancel there's a $25 fee? Also, you can't guarantee me if the newer 612's don't have the same problem?

I then asked for advanced tech support and spoke with him and he said there was a known issue for this receiver but it's no longer on the product issues list. So going by that he thought the problem could be fixed. He said he couldn't wave the shipping fee. At least he/Dish acknowledged it was a known issue.

So then I had him transfer me to the supervisor on duty since I said I bought this receiver directly from Dish and Dish says there was a known hardware issue and why I should pay for shipping when we all agree it was a defective product. She said the supervisors are also bound by the rules applied to the techs. She can not waive shipping fees and her answer was the same which was to have free shipping you have to buy the warranty service. I said how is that for free yadda yadda yadda (per above) , and I told her yes I understand that reduces technician visit fees but I said I never need a technician since I maintain my entire system so it would serve no purpose for customers like myself.

I said what if I did pay the fee and the replacement receiver has the same issue. Will I have to pay for the next replacement? She said maybe since "the system" decides whether you have to pay for return shipping. I asked her what are the business rules of when the customer or dish has to pay for shipping. She said they are not told what the rules are. I said if you don't even know then how will a customer know so it's a crap shoot? I said effectively then, I can continually pay for shipping until I a get a good unit (if one truely exists) and she said Yes.

I said thanks for your time and I'll write Charlie to try to get more information since this is just wrong. Especially since I pay approx $200/month for my receivers and channels and this was a known issue with this receiver.

So now I'm going to write Charlie to see what response I get from that dept. I'll post here their response.

Just posting now to let everyone know and if anyone actually has a newer 612 that is not exhibiting a picture freeze problem to please post here so I know it may be worth it if I do end up having to pay to get a new one shipped.

#36 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Mailed CEO per my post above and Executive Communications responded later that week and they were very nice and accommodating. They offered a 722 at a no cost exchange which I gladly took to get rid of the 612. That was a very good resolution to my issue. When the receiver arrived it was a refurb but that's OK since a refurb 722 blows away a non-refurb 10 month old 612.

Very satisfied with Dish in regards to this resolution.

I am again a very satisfied Dish customer.

#37 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for that update. Glad to say but for two very occasional problems both my 612's in use for about four months have been rock solid.

Three times over the four months when you wake-up the receiver it goes to the aiming screen. Has happened to both receivers, not at the same time. A hard reset fixes it.

And once in a while when watching a program from the external hard disk, it stops replying to the advance forward or advance back buttons.

But that's been it. No missed timers, no freezes. I do notice it is more apt to record a program even if there is not enough information in the guide than the 508 was. Seems to want to record even when not "New" when there are marathons especially on A&E or the History channel.

#38 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for that update. Glad to say but for two very occasional problems both my 612's in use for about four months have been rock solid.

Three times over the four months when you wake-up the receiver it goes to the aiming screen. Has happened to both receivers, not at the same time. A hard reset fixes it.

And once in a while when watching a program from the external hard disk, it stops replying to the advance forward or advance back buttons.

But that's been it. No missed timers, no freezes. I do notice it is more apt to record a program even if there is not enough information in the guide than the 508 was. Seems to want to record even when not "New" when there are marathons especially on A&E or the History channel.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know that some people with 612's don't have the freezing issue.

Dealing with the trick play buttons they act up even on my 622 and 722's even when not playing back from the external drive. After a soft reboot it's healed for awhile. Even after I hard reboot they act up after a day or two.

#39 OFFLINE   augie

augie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

One of my my 508 receivers has been exhibiting some of the same DVR issues you folks are describing here, so I decided rather than replace it again, I'd join the real world and upgrade to HD. The rep I contacted was only too happy to give me a free upgrade to 612s for both of my 508s. After reading this thread I guess I know why.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that my units will work satisfactorily, and keep the knowledge that if I have enough trouble over a long enough period of time, I may be able to get a free upgrade to a 722 in my back pocket.

spam firewall