Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pixillation/Picture Break-Up on HR-20

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

We are recently have some problems with our main DirecTV receiver. We have a total of five HD-DVRs, mostly HR20s with one HR22. The main unit on our living room TV has been acting up lately and I have no idea what's going on. (All other units are displaying, recording fine ASFAIK.) We're getting lots (every minute or two) pixillation/break-ups (like big blocky fade outs that go to green on about half the screen). At first I thought maybe our external eSATA hard drive had gone bad, but it also happens watching live TV (sports). It occurs on every channel we've recorded on in say, the last week or so, and it's really annoying!

I've checked our signal strength (on this unit) and it's in the high 80s or low to mid-90s for all relevant transponders/sats. I've checked the cables and they're tight at both the head end (multi-switch) and to the unit.

Any other ideas what it might be? Could it still be the hard drive (by the way, this problem doesn't happen on older, saved recordings from the same drive)? Is the unit itself going bad? Any other ideas?

Thanks, appreciate any suggestions!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

I would try running the HR on it's internal drive and see if that cures your problem, it does sound like an impending drive failure.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Do the droputs and pixelation happen at the same point in saved recordings? If so, it could be a signal problem. Check the BBC's (swap them with another receiver).

#4 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Do the droputs and pixelation happen at the same point in saved recordings? If so, it could be a signal problem. Check the BBC's (swap them with another receiver).

Yes, they do. I wondered about the BBC things. I will try that.

#5 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

And do try running it on the internal drive. Even when you're watching "live" TV the signal is still being written to the harddrive and then pulled off for viewing.

#6 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

May be too soon to tell for sure but, so far, changing out BBCs seems to have fixed the problem. Yay!

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

May be too soon to tell for sure but, so far, changing out BBCs seems to have fixed the problem. Yay!

Don't get your hopes up, that usually doesn't work very long. Just gets your hopes up and then goes back to the problem, which might be caused by any number of things.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Don't get your hopes up, that usually doesn't work very long. Just gets your hopes up and then goes back to the problem, which might be caused by any number of things.

Rich

Such as? I'm just trying to figure out what I may have to do in the near future.

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

That's how the TiVo's did it but if I remember correctly, I read here that when you are live and in realtime on the HR2X's it's not playing from the harddrive but directly from the tuners. As soon as you "pause" and restart you are then in the buffer and watching from the hard drive.

Not 100% sure but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If that is NOT the case it is killing a theory about a continuing problem I am having on my HR2x's.

And do try running it on the internal drive. Even when you're watching "live" TV the signal is still being written to the harddrive and then pulled off for viewing.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Such as? I'm just trying to figure out what I may have to do in the near future.

Well, to give you an idea, my system was so screwed up that it took the Case Management Group (CMG) four months of service calls to finally get my system to the point where I thought it was rock solid. Then it took another couple weeks to finally get them to add an additional dish because nobody knows how to parallel multi-switches. I do, but by that time I was tired of showing the installers how to do the mechanical aspects of their jobs.

It's not entirely the installer's fault. A couple weeks of training isn't enough to qualify someone to be an installer or a technician (have yet to meet more than one that I thought was qualified to be called a technician), which is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to mechanics.

If you keep having the problems, keep complaining. If you are a member of the Protection Plan, your third call will trigger a response from the CMG. They will stick with you until your problems are solved. I don't have any idea what it takes to get the CMG involved if you are not a member of the PP.

Disheartening, isn't it?

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   cantfish2much

cantfish2much

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

I just had the same problem and the signal strength was not too bad. The DirecTV guy came by yesterday and repeaked the dish, but that didn't really increase the signal strength either. He ended up replacing one of the LNBs and presto, the signal strength jumped a small bit and my problem went away.

#12 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

OK, so BBCs didn't actually fix it. (Slightly better maybe, but not fixed.) I've replaced the external hard drive. Fingers crossed it works (so far, so good).

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

OK, so BBCs didn't actually fix it. (Slightly better maybe, but not fixed.) I've replaced the external hard drive. Fingers crossed it works (so far, so good).

What's the exact model? HR2X-xxx (fill in the X and x's).

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...