Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is everybody a thief???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:27 AM

:eek2: :eek2: :nono2: :nono2: http://nj.com/news/l...87057300250.xml

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:28 AM

I think D* has gone way way way over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 09:37 AM

They are pushing the edge, but I do not know if they have gone over the edge. I am sure they have more than just the purchase of smart card readers from these companies. They also have the siezed records of who was downloading the codes and programming to break the smartcard encryption.

If you want to buy a smartcard reader and programmer you can buy from a reputable source... The guy in the article claimed he bought it from the hacker site because it was hard to beat their price.

Buying a stereo off the back of a truck in an alley somewhere might be cheaper, but odds are the people involved are criminals, and you should know better.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 August 2003 - 04:36 PM

I don't blame the guy if he wants to save some money and was willing to take some chances. However, (playing devil's advocate), if I knew that a pirate site was raided, it would just take an hour to remove all of the DBS equipment and go "What DirecTV equipment?"

On the other hand, if he was a hobbyist, and was tinkering with the electronics, a simple quiz about electrical design would help weed out the real hobbyist verses the thief.

What DirecTV needs to do is to go on the auction web sites and monitor the sales. There are people who have Hu and P4 cards for sale that "receive previews only" and/or are "virgin". (I think I posted about this about a weekend or so ago). Now, why would you want to get a DirecTV card from anyplace other than DirecTV?

On the other hand, can anyone point me to a site which sells cards SIMILAR to the layout of the Dish/DirecTV access cards? (I know, try google, but what is the exact name of the card?)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:31 PM

Two thoughts come to mind...

You are guilty unless, and until you can prove yourself innocent - at great personal expense.

The old Marine motto when you can't tell who is the enemy: "Shoot 'em all; let God sort 'em out."

D* needs to have its greedy corporate hand smacked hard with a judges gavel!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:56 AM

Raise you hand if you think the DMCA is bad piece of legislation now. :wave:

:nono: :nono2: :bad_nono: :icon_stup :icon_lame :bang :barf: