Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Rolls Out a 100-Hour DVR Set-Top

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   platinum

platinum

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:46 PM

http://cableworld.co..._hour/index.htm
D* Since 95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

How about "DirecTV Rolls out HD DVR Set-Top". :D

#3 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 07:33 PM

Now all you technophobes can enjoy 100 hours like I've been doing with my upgraded TiVos for over a year!
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:49 PM

$499 is a big price to have with a monthly fee, for $100 more the E* 721 has the same size hard drive, two tuners and $0 monthly fee, wile it is still available. I had ben saying that the 721 was over priced, however it is starting to look better all the time ;).

#5 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

107 hours and counting for me :)

#6 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 07:00 AM

The new DirecTV set-top has been available for a couple of weeks.

I remember doing a search last week, and I couldn't find any retailers selling this box. I'm curious what the street price will be, perhaps significantly less than the $499 list price.

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 10:36 AM

I remember doing a search last week, and I couldn't find any retailers selling this box. I'm curious what the street price will be, perhaps significantly less than the $499 list price.

I did read today their is going to be a whole $30 re-bate on this unit and it was due out in September, only time will tell if there are cheaper street prices coming on this one.

#8 OFFLINE   Gunnyman

Gunnyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:51 AM

120 Hrs on my HDVR2
:)

#9 ONLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 11:56 AM

Saw one at Circuit City today. They had it listed at $449.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 August 2003 - 12:44 PM

Hmmmm...... going by www.newegg.com.... (pricewatch is down)

40GB HD - $60-$67
80GB HD - $73-$80
120GB HD - $94-$101
160GB HD - $130-$139 (But you will be only using 137 GB)

The prices quoted are for the BARE DRIVE (OEM) only.... no packaging, cabling, etc. (although I'm sure that they have it in cushioned box).

So, we're dealing with a possible $40 price difference. Yet, retail price is $249 for a HVR2, verses what Curtis has posted for $449 for the 120GB model. Go figure.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#11 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:33 AM

$449 for a new Digital Video Recorder compatible for DirecTV programming (was it Tivo or DirecTivo?)? Anyway, I don't see people paying that level of a price for DVRs when it's clear they should be rather inexpensive. I don't think DVRs have been well-handled in terms of marketing. If this weren't the case, a lot more DVRs would be selling. I think this particular electronics is overpriced in the eyes of most consumers, and it's going to require a substantial price reduction from manufacturers before DVRs start selling at the rate they should (and deserve -- yes, I'm wanting one, eventually). Perhaps the lack of hours -- coupled with the monthly subscription cost (which some might argue should be eliminated; people may consider it like paying taxes on top of other taxes) -- is what's held us consumers back, subsequently compelling us to refrain. Come to think of it, I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't already been posted here before -- so when will manufacturers finally wake up? (That part is a rhetorical question. No need to respond, unless a reader wishes to do so. :grin: )

#12 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:09 AM

I wish the price of the 721 would drop to this price especially since it doesn't do all it was designed for. (internet)

#13 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:27 AM

I wish the price of the 721 would drop to this price especially since it doesn't do all it was designed for. (internet)

Not only internet, the 721 has not yet got a software release that makes it as stable as it should be.

I have to wonder what really happened with the 721 upgrade plans. DISH really hyped it as the "top of the line" receiver but now one has to wonder IF they are ever going to take it to its full potential or replace it with a newer model soon. The 721 has so much potential. I hope that they do not let it go to waste.

The move by some of the DirecTV receiver makers to larger hard drives is a move in the direction that most consumers want but they do need to be concerned about the price. Most customers don't want to pay $400 (or more) for a DVR.
Bill R

#14 OFFLINE   mainedish

mainedish

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

I was going to upgrade my Tivo to a larger hard drive. But what will you do if your tivo crashes for whatever reason? You have lost all your recordings. So I got a dvd recorder instead. I know many of you like a 100 hour tivo but do you ever think about what would happen if it did crash?

#15 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:10 PM

Not only internet, the 721 has not yet got a software release that makes it as stable as it should be.

I have to wonder what really happened with the 721 upgrade plans. DISH really hyped it as the "top of the line" receiver but now one has to wonder IF they are ever going to take it to its full potential or replace it with a newer model soon. The 721 has so much potential. I hope that they do not let it go to waste.

The move by some of the DirecTV receiver makers to larger hard drives is a move in the direction that most consumers want but they do need to be concerned about the price. Most customers don't want to pay $400 (or more) for a DVR.

I agree that the 721 has a lot of potential, if E* would lower the price a little and let current and new subs upgrade to this unit at a discounted price, this unit would make for a good competitor for the D*Tivo, however I suspect that this unit will be replaced with the new 522 hopefully coming soon.

#16 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:28 PM

I agree in that they are not getting all of the potential that the 721 does have. The internet feature was never advertised on the 721 and a sticker was put over that feature on the box when you bought it (at least it should have been).

#17 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 07:38 AM

Not on mine, it was in big bold print " internet capable." :whatdidid

Protected By... spam firewall...And...