Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

This thread has been moved from the "Shadow Report" thread, for discussion of the Acoustic Research XSight remotes.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 01 September 2009 - 03:37 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but I did play with one at hh gregg and picked up a brochure. I had concerns about the buttons, but they are fine. They have good spacing and tactile feedback, with a nice easy click. I think it will be quite easy to use by touch (no pun intended).

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,826 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but I did play with one at hh gregg and picked up a brochure. I had concerns about the buttons, but they are fine. They have good spacing and tactile feedback, with a nice easy click. I think it will be quite easy to use by touch (no pun intended).

The only thing that I don't really like(judging by the pics), are the actual DVR controls. Not the best layout IMHO.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

How do the color buttons and the guide/menu/info/exit buttons feel? They look almost indented? Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

With no Chicago Bears face place I would still use my DirecTV remote over this one. However it's always good to have more products available.

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

Cool beans! :D

I love when disappointment is replaced by jubilation! :P

So one question ... does this remote have a future? Per the user manual only basic setup is possible via the remote, and advanced setup requires "the EZ-RC™ Remote Control Setup Wizard website". Will that site be around for a while?

I'm also looking for information on macros - the user guide only mentions macro in regards to a full reset, but I want to know how many steps can be in a macro. Anyone find the answer yet?

Here's the specific info on DIRECTV RF in case someone doesn't want to open the guide:

DIRECTV® RF

The Xsight™ Touch remote can control DIRECTV® satellite receivers with RF capability even when the satellite receiver is hidden in a closed cabinet or in a different room. The Xsight™ Touch can control DIRECTV® receivers with RF capability without using the ARRE433B RF extender.

IMPORTANT: Before you can use the DIRECTV® RF feature, you must set up the Xsight™ Touch to operate your DIRECTV® receiver just as you have with your other devices (like your TV, your DVD player, etc.). If the DIRECTV® receiver is already in RF mode, switch the receiver back to IR mode to confirm that the Xsight™ Touch can operate it.

In order to use the RF feature, you must enable the remote to transmit RF commands to the receiver and then pair the receiver and the remote.

• Select DIRECTV RF from the Settings menu. The remote screen displays the current DIRECTV® RF Transmission status.
  • Press ON to enable DIRECTV® RF transmission.
  • Enable your DIRECTV® receiver for RF control (see your DIRECTV owners manual or on-screen setup for instructions). Then press Next on the remote’s screen.
  • Find the 6-digit code assigned to your DIRECTV® receiver (see your DIRECTV® owners manual or on-screen setup for instructions). Then press OK on the remote’s screen.
  • Use the number keys on the remote to enter your DIRECTV® receiver’s code. Use the remote’s on-screen Clear key if you need to erase numbers. Press the remote’s on-screen OK key when you’re done.
  • Test the remote’s (power) key and + and – (channel) keys with the DIRECTV® receiver. If these keys work, press the remote’s on-screen Yes key. Then press the remote’s on-screen Finish key.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

How do the color buttons and the guide/menu/info/exit buttons feel? They look almost indented? Thanks

The indention is just an optical illusion. All those are very slightly raised, same as all the number buttons. The travel on these puppies is very small. A very light touch presses a button flush and produces a soft click.

#8 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Well, I bought an ARRX15G (no RF, no touchscreen, list $189) for about $80 NIB on eBay. Since I have no use for RF and can live without the touchscreen, we'll see how this works in the other regards. I'm used to hacking the One-for-All remotes (which this is a descendant of), so I'm curious whether they have gone full-Harmony activity-driven or whether it is macro-based. I still have the trusty RS15-1994 to fall back on....
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Well, I bought an ARRX15G (no RF, no touchscreen, list $189) for about $80 NIB on eBay. Since I have no use for RF and can live without the touchscreen, we'll see how this works in the other regards. I'm used to hacking the One-for-All remotes (which this is a descendant of), so I'm curious whether they have gone full-Harmony activity-driven or whether it is macro-based. I still have the trusty RS15-1994 to fall back on....

According to the user manual linked above it's activity based (via web site setup) but macros also exist. Please let us know how many steps are permitted in macros (not activities) when you get it!

Q: NIB?

#10 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

Q: NIB?

New In Box
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

New In Box

D'oh!

Thanks. :sure:

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

The indention is just an optical illusion. All those are very slightly raised, same as all the number buttons. The travel on these puppies is very small. A very light touch presses a button flush and produces a soft click.

Ok thanks for the info. Now if I could only see and hold it before I buy one. ;)

EDIT: has anyone seen a picture of the ARRE433B RF extender?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 27 August 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Well, I bought an ARRX15G (no RF, no touchscreen, list $189) for about $80 NIB on eBay.

Man, how'd that guy get one almost 3 weeks ago.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

EDIT: has anyone seen a picture of the ARRE433B RF extender?

There's a quick shot of it in the "Advanced Features" video on the product page.

It looks sorta oval in shape with a short, thick antenna sticking out of it. See the middle of the attached screen capture image.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• 2009-08-28_004222.jpg
  • 2009-08-28_004457.jpg

Signal: AU9 Slimline Dish/SWM-8/OTA

Receivers: HR22NC-100 w/AM-21 [CE:0x03A1] / HR20-700 [CE:0x03A8] / HR22-100 [CE:0x03A1]

See my full setup here.

#15 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Looks like the hh gregg chain (kind of like best buy) only has stores in the south and parts of the mid-west. They seem to be trying to fill circuit city's shoes lately, moving into a lot of their old stores. They only carry a few remotes, with the two AR's on their own special display. They don't carry harmony at all.

#16 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

So raise your hand if you are watching the only one on Ebay?:lol:

Oh no, did I spoil it:D

#17 OFFLINE   mogulman

mogulman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

I don't know if the model with the Directv functionality was in these, but I saw two new AR remotes at my local Bestbuy today. One was like $250. I think the other was around $150.

#18 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:55 AM

I am not sure I want one of these... Did you see how big this remote is??? I am not even sure I could reach the top buttons!!! :)

http://www.dbstalk.c...09&d=1231641078

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#19 OFFLINE   RegGeek

RegGeek

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

It looks like Fry's Electronics has (or soon will have) these remotes. Opened my paper this morning and saw their big ad insert. Huge picture of the new remotes is on the top left side of the ad. Doesn't say a price and I couldn't find it on their website, but it definitely appears there will be another place to buy them pretty soon.
I know life's not fair, but how come it's never unfair in my favor?

See profile for equipment list.

#20 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:26 AM

Looks like the hh gregg chain (kind of like best buy) only has stores in the south and parts of the mid-west. They seem to be trying to fill circuit city's shoes lately, moving into a lot of their old stores. They only carry a few remotes, with the two AR's on their own special display. They don't carry harmony at all.

Here you go ... the full location map!

http://www.hhgregg.c...cator.asp?SID=n

(There are a lot more stores than I imagined.)

spam firewall