Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   bigpro

bigpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

I must admit, apparently between me and the fence post, that I absolutely love this remote. I don't have some of these crazy set-ups some of you guys, just the bread-and-butter, but it's replaced all my remotes, is easy to add functions that it missed, and even my wife can figure it out. Sorry, but this thing is a homerun in my book.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

I must admit, apparently between me and the fence post, that I absolutely love this remote. I don't have some of these crazy set-ups some of you guys, just the bread-and-butter, but it's replaced all my remotes, is easy to add functions that it missed, and even my wife can figure it out. Sorry, but this thing is a homerun in my book.

That's exactly why some of us are so disappointed. When it was announced that it could do RF DIRECTV, looked way cool, sounded perfect, etc. we were very happy. Only to have it crashing down now.

I sure hope they fix the firmware so it can do multiple RF receivers. That would be so very cool.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#243 OFFLINE   John Buckingham

John Buckingham

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

I agree 100%

#244 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

If it works for you guys that's great... But this remote more certainly doesn't live up to the hype it had at all. And their support? I won't even go there.

Glad to hear it's working out for someone at least.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#245 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

I sure hope they fix the firmware so it can do multiple RF receivers. That would be so very cool.

Based on the email I got from AR's Tech Support you should be able to suggest that to your friends at DirecTV. ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#246 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Just got a great deal on a Color off ebay. Will report back when I have it in hand. It should work fine for me. I'm very comfortable with the way UEI remotes work. And I've only got a dozen devices or so including just one DVR in the same room and don't need RF. Coming from harmony, I'm used to terrible config software and clueless tech support ;)

From Runner's posts and my own dealings with AR support already, I realize I'm on my own.

#247 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

So whats the difference between the Xsights and these remotes? Just the name?

Just the name and marketer. I think those are just the Euro version imported.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#248 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, I very much doubt it is the firmware at fault. Much more likely it is the horrid web site not allowing multiple codes to be set up. I have yet to see anything that indicates the FIRMWARE is faulty -- seems rock-solid for anything I can get the %&$#%%$ web interface to allow.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#249 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

I finally got an Xsight Color (no touchscreen, no RF). Bottom line is it's a great remote, but hampered by terrible software. With a lot of time, effort and planning you can get it working pretty well. It's still buggy (the config software, not the remote itself) and there are lots of things that don't make sense. For the same money, I'd stick with harmony, no question. But if you can find a deal, it's worth a try. If they improve their config software, it could really give harmony a run for it's money, but I'm not holding my breath. If you've got a fairly simple system and don't plan on doing much customization, you might like it.

All that being said, if anyone wants a really good deal on mine, PM me.

#250 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

So 13 days later I get a response, sort of, from AR to my question as to why I'd contact DirecTV to get the RF working on the AR remote:

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Lawrence Perry) - 09/28/2009 03:47 PM
Hi Chris,

I am following up to see if this was every resolved for you. I read the previous note and I apologize that you were directed to contact Direct TV regarding the RF issue. Did you purchase the ARRE433B RF Extender along with your remote control?

Regards,

Lawrence
Customer Service

Customer (Chris XXXXX) - 09/15/2009 09:32 PM
Now why in the world would I contact DirecTV for support on YOUR remote???

Oh, and according to the auto response I got from you I was supposed to get a response "within 72 hours"... 2 weeks later and this is what I get???

-------------------------------------------------

Seriously??? Why would I need to buy the RF extender to get the BUILT IN RF working???

Not only does their software suck but their support is MUCH MUCH worse... I'm REALLY glad I took the remote back now and I will never buy another AR product.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#251 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

That's too funny. Answering my AR tech support question a while back, "Lawrence" flat out told me the xsight didn't work with native D* RF at all. They are completely clueless. I'm certain he doesn't understand your question. Even if he did, he wouldn't know the answer. The fact that the same guy answered both our questions tells us all we need to know about AR support. The main problem is AR is just a name slapped on a one-for-all remote. They don't know the product at all. They just sell it.

#252 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

Show of hands to kill this thread? The disappointment is too much to keep re-living.

#253 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Lots of good info here for people who don't know any better. Plus you never know if the next version might actually improve. I say let it float (or sink?) to the bottom on it's own. I'll quit posting until something positive happens :)

#254 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, keep it open ...

If anyone ever posts about an update to the EZ-RC software I'll get notified via the thread subscription. :)

#255 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

I have tried reading thru this to find out if this remote works or not. Could someone please recap the thread. I need to buy a remote and would love to have the RF with my HR20-700. Or should I just buy another Harmony One? Sorry for asking this but I got confused when trying to read thru this.

#256 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

I have tried reading thru this to find out if this remote works or not. Could someone please recap the thread. I need to buy a remote and would love to have the RF with my HR20-700. Or should I just buy another Harmony One? Sorry for asking this but I got confused when trying to read thru this.

If you hope to control more than 1 DIRECTV receiver via RF, you're outta luck. (Most unfortunately.) If all you want to control is one DIRECTV receiver, this remote very well might be the one for you.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#257 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

I only want to use it for one HR20 on RF. But I do need it to work with other components as well. Will it work on the other equipment like my harmony one does? Also will it work with my HR20 using RF without any other equipment?

#258 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

I only want to use it for one HR20 on RF. But I do need it to work with other components as well. Will it work on the other equipment like my harmony one does?

Qualified Yes. It will work with all your other devices, but doesn't work quite like harmony. An activity on xsight is just a macro. The result is almost the same: it turns on your devices, switches inputs and maps the right keys for volume, playback, menus, etc. The difference is that if you run the activity again, it will repeat all the steps in the activity. This is how most universal remotes besides Harmony work anyway. Harmony will leave out the steps it performed before. This is usually not a problem if all your devices have discrete power and input commands (many do). If some don't, it will toggle them back off or switch inputs. That's the major difference. You won't really know for sure until you try it. If you post a list of devices, I can probably tell you if they all have discrete power or not.

Also will it work with my HR20 using RF without any other equipment?

Yes

Although my xsight is for sale, I think it's a pretty good alternative to the D* RF remote. Although it's not quite as smart as harmony, it's fairly close.

#259 OFFLINE   MBlue72

MBlue72

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

dconfer (if you are still here) or anyone else that is interested:

I am considering purchasing this remote and have read through this entire thread (whew!). Here is what I take away from the previous 258 posts, as far as negatives of the XSight Touch:

1)… it can only control (via RF) a single DirecTV receiver
2)… it’s “a lemon if you have more than one device that changes channels” [see post #193]
3)… you cannot customize soft button placement [#193]
4)… Activity and Device soft buttons share the same screen. Soft buttons for one appear for the other [#193]
5)… "when you power off, it does NOT return to the home screen – it stays in whatever mode you were" [#193]
6)… it’s hard to program. This point was made in several posts, see #221 for example
7)… it may be problem with Toggle On And Off devices … This point was made in several posts, see #258 above for example.

In my case, issues 1 and 2 don’t apply. Issues 3 and 4 are “only” an inconvenience. Issues 5, 6 and 7 are significant, though. I need to understand 7 better (for my own specific equipment).

Anyone else like to add more shortcomings? Did I summarize all this well?

Of course there are plenty of pluses too. To name a few … seems solidly made, works natively (via RF) with DirecTV receivers (even includes colored buttons and “List” button), RF capable, has macro capability, good key layout, nice backlighting, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Edit: (tom robertson) removed the font tags altogether.

Edited by Tom Robertson, 26 October 2009 - 09:20 PM.
trying to reduce font size - not trying to overwhelm

#260 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Dave,

Great job with the summary. It seems thorough and complete.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...