Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

dconfer (if you are still here) or anyone else that is interested:

I am considering purchasing this remote and have read through this entire thread (whew!). Here is what I take away from the previous 258 posts, as far as negatives of the XSight Touch:

1)… it can only control (via RF) a single DirecTV receiver. TRUE
2)… it’s “a lemon if you have more than one device that changes channels” [see post #193] FALSE. This was taken out of context. Each activity can have it's own channel changing device just like harmony. I believe the OP wanted several favorites lists for different devices, which is a different issue.
3)… you cannot customize soft button placement [#193]. FALSE. Soft buttons can go anywhere. There are restrictions though. Once you place them on a page, you can move them anywhere on that page. To move a button to a different page, you must delete it and place it again. OP is correct that they fill in reverse order, one page at a time. It just requires some planning to get the layout you want.
4)… Activity and Device soft buttons share the same screen. Soft buttons for one appear for the other [#193]FALSE. This doesn't make sense to me. An activity that uses 4 devices, for instance, certainly doesn't have 4 devices worth of soft buttons. It has whatever buttons you added to the activity.
5)… "when you power off, it does NOT return to the home screen – it stays in whatever mode you were" [#193]. TRUE. But all you have to do is press the HOME button.
6)… it’s hard to program. This point was made in several posts, see #221 for example. Sort of. It's more frustrating than harmony, but not by much. Once you understand how it works, it's not so bad.
7)… it may be problem with Toggle On And Off devices … This point was made in several posts, see #258 above for example. TRUE. Xsight, like most remotes, doesn't track device states. Harmony is somewhat unique in that ability.

In my case, issues 1 and 2 don’t apply. Issues 3 and 4 are “only” an inconvenience. Issues 5, 6 and 7 are significant, though. I need to understand 7 better (for my own specific equipment).

Anyone else like to add more shortcomings? Did I summarize all this well?

Of course there are plenty of pluses too. To name a few … seems solidly made, works natively (via RF) with DirecTV receivers (even includes colored buttons and “List” button), RF capable, has macro capability, good key layout, nice backlighting, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Edit: (tom robertson) removed the font tags altogether.

Dave,

Great job assembling what's in this thread. No offense to the OP's, but unfortunately much of it is false. I'm no fan of this remote, but it does work fairly well. See my edits above.

This remote works differently from harmony. Activities are just macros on Xsight. They're not really states like they are in harmony. If you accept that, it works pretty well. If you expect it to be a harmony clone, you'll be disappointed.

I was disappointed in the battery life. But that may have been due to the heavy programming I did early on.

If you post your equipment, I can probably tell you if it all has discretes or not. Many devices without discretes have other commands that work just as well.

All that being said, I'd still take a harmony over xsight any day.

Edited by mdavej, 26 October 2009 - 11:33 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   MBlue72

MBlue72

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

mdavej:

Thanks for your input.

Here is a list of our equipment:

AV Receiver: Denon 4308CI
Plasma TV: Pioneer PDP-5010FD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD30
DVD recorder: Philips 3575H/37
DirecTV DVR: HR21-700
Network music player: Squeezebox Duet

For the Squeezebox Duet, the only functionality I need from the remote controller is on/off.

Thanks,

Dave

#263 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

mdavej:

Thanks for your input.

Here is a list of our equipment:

AV Receiver: Denon 4308CI YES
Plasma TV: Pioneer PDP-5010FD YES
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD30 YES
DVD recorder: Philips 3575H/37 NO. But Play for ON and Play - Power for OFF may work
DirecTV DVR: HR21-700 YES
Network music player: Squeezebox Duet NO

For the Squeezebox Duet, the only functionality I need from the remote controller is on/off.

Thanks,

Dave

Answers above. Yes means the device has discrete power codes. No means it probably doesn't have discrete codes. I just couldn't find them.

You can test the philips work-around right now. With the player off, press play and see if it turns on. If that works, then play - power, with a little delay in between will work for discrete off. Then you should be in business if you want to give the xsight a try.

If you don't need RF, PM me and I can give you an excellent deal on an Xsight Color.

#264 OFFLINE   MBlue72

MBlue72

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

mdavej:

I checked the Philips and it passed your test (it turned on when I hit "play").

I am still thinking this all over and will keep your XSight Color in mind. The native RF interface with the DirecTV DVR is pretty appealing, though.

Thanks again,

Dave

#265 OFFLINE   RCharles

RCharles

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

I just bought the XSight ARRX18G and started playing with it.

The remote, out of the box, seemed to work. I set the language, etc., and defined my TV; it found the codes and could operate the TV.

then I tried the CD software and web configuration service, EZ-RC. What a disaster. The CD software did not autorun so I had to screw around to get it installed. then I registered on the web site, which promptly downloaded new firmware into the remote. Other problems, like defining three devices, which then got lost. Now the PC software cannot talk to the remote and the remote display is three colored stripes; nothing is working.

My background is software design and this is the worst piece of crap I've seen in a long time.

I've sent AR three problem reports but they all come back with 72 hour commitments. Next step is to pack it up for a return trip to the dealer.

Ray

PS: wish I had found this web site before I ordered it.

#266 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

So those of you with this remote, how are things going? Any software or firmware updates?

#267 OFFLINE   av8er

av8er

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have the xsight touch arrx18g and it's working great. I think most people don't need to have more than one Directv receiver in a room/per remote... so seems like a useless point for the masses. I use it to control several components including the directv receiver via RF and a PS3. I have a Nyko USB ir converter for the PS3, which they don't have the codes for yet... took about 10 minutes to have the remote 'learn' them (purchased for $20 at bestbuy if I remember right). The only negative I found so far is that it doesn't remember power states but all my components have a definitive on and off button so it's not an issue for me.

Maybe I missed the directions, but turning on the RF for the directv took me a bit to figure out..... was watching tv at the same time though.... anyway for anyone else that missed it. Set the receiver back to IR if in RF mode. Setup your device and and activies as normal, than just goto the home button on xsight... slide over to settings... slide over make sure rf on ...slide to directv rf on... enter rf code that you get from directv when you turn on rf on receiver... and bang....works perfect. very easy once i found it.

Somebody mentioned there was no help button to fix a state that is wrong, but there must have been a firmware update because my has an assistant on each activity that does the same thing more or less...

I saw a post a couple back that they had problems.... mine did a firmware update first time I plugged it in... no problems. Setup multiple devices and activies, no problems...maybe he just had a bad one... I searched a lot of posts and didn't see problem like that b4 i bought it... i guess when u make a 1000 widgets..there is always going to be a bad widget or 2.... (assuming he or his computer didn't interupt the update)....

Overall I like it much better than my Logitch Harmony.... hope this helps someone....

Edited by av8er, 19 December 2009 - 08:58 PM.
new info

#268 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

I have the xsight touch arrx18g and it's working great.

How long have you had it? Just curious to see if there actually was a firmware update.

Thanks for the info.

#269 OFFLINE   av8er

av8er

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

well the firmware i'm using is 1.3.12. Each activity has an "assist" soft button. not sure if it's new. i haven't played with the the custom setup much yet, so far though it does seem like it needs a tweak.... but I just got it recently, and haven't spent that much time with it...might be missing something.

I actually haven't needed to hit it, but for instance in 'watch tv' if i press ''assist", it asks audio, video, or power problem then takes steps to fix it...which works fine, but I can't see how to get the damn thing off the screen without restarting activity.... maybe my mistake, maybe that's just the way it is now... the remote does function as normal, but still show's the assist mode on the soft buttons.

Lol, I haven't even read any documentation yet.

Heading out for the day... i'll try to check it out more in next couple of days.

#270 OFFLINE   quickfire

quickfire

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

My wife bought me the XSight Touch & RF Extender for Christmas......(cant have it until Christmas)

I have only 1 DirecTv HR21-200 in the LivingRoom......along with a Sony Mega 995 dvd changer,Sony BDP-CX960 BluRay Mega Changer,Onkyo 606 7.1 audio receiver,PS3 & Xbox 360 being displayed on a Sharp AQUOS 65SE94U.

If I can get the XSight Touch to control all my equipment.......Ill be happy....I have 5 remotes on the end table :-(

I have tried the 900 Harmony...and hated it......I DO NOT LIKE ACTIVITY BASED REMOTES AT ALL....

Ill set up the activities for my wife(mostly for the Mega Bluray player)......but Ill toggle between my equipment the old fashion way(I can toggle them alot faster than having a remote do it).......IM HOPING IT WORKS FOR MY SETUP...LET YOU GUYS KNOW IN A COUPLE OF DAYS!!!!

p.s....my wife told me she bought the XSight Touch & RF extender for $213.00 at Amazon......not a bad price if it works the way I need it to.....crossing my fingers.

Edited by quickfire, 23 December 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#271 OFFLINE   quickfire

quickfire

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well,after spending 2 days tweaking my XSight Touch.......I have to say this is a GREAT remote----> for my setup.

I absolutely love the Favorites button..I didn't think I would use it,but I find myself just hitting the logo more and more.

Keep in mind I only have 1 Direct HDDVR in my LivingRoom......

The software is buggy.....but if you have patience you can program this remote anyway you can imagine.... :-/

This remote has replaced the following 7 remotes......Directv HDDVR,Sony Bluray Mega Changer,Sony DVD Mega Changer,Onkyo 606 receiver,Sharp 65Se94u HDTV,Sanyo Z4 PJ,& PS3! :-)

There are some faults with this remote.....It is a finger print MAGNET!

It only controls 1 DirecTv receiver at a time!

When setting up Soft buttons..you have to remember that it adds them from the bottom up!

Edited by quickfire, 27 December 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#272 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

It looks like AR has lost faith in this remote also. It's now $100 cheaper than it was when it came out.

#273 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

It looks like AR has lost faith in this remote also. It's now $100 cheaper than it was when it came out.

You think they're going to discontinue it then?

#274 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

Somebody forgot to tell everybody but Best Buy. Looks like it's time to get a great deal on a very good RF remote.

#275 OFFLINE   quickfire

quickfire

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

MDAVEJ.......I Love this remote!!!!!!!!!

#276 OFFLINE   DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

New forum member and new ARRX18G Owner. I have an IR to BT convertor for PS3 control with the XSight, but I can't find an appropriate 'device' to use during setup. Anyone have any thoughts?

#277 OFFLINE   chuck5395

chuck5395

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

I purchased the ARRX18G along with the Wireless Extender (ARRE433B) at BB this weekend for a bundled price of $199. Slowly working my way towards getting it setup on my system. This is my first programmable remote, so it is taking me some time to figure it all out.

#278 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

I purchased the ARRX18G along with the Wireless Extender (ARRE433B) at BB this weekend for a bundled price of $199. Slowly working my way towards getting it setup on my system. This is my first programmable remote, so it is taking me some time to figure it all out.

That's a great deal. Be aware that you don't even need the extender to control your D* receiver via RF. That's the beauty of this remote. It's like a D* RF remote on steroids. If you have more than one D* receiver or other devices you want to control via RF, that's another story of course.

#279 OFFLINE   chuck5395

chuck5395

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

That's a great deal. Be aware that you don't even need the extender to control your D* receiver via RF. That's the beauty of this remote. It's like a D* RF remote on steroids. If you have more than one D* receiver or other devices you want to control via RF, that's another story of course.

mdavej,
My intent for the RF extender is so that I can control other components, such as the CD player from other rooms.

#280 OFFLINE   davephan

davephan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

It took quite awhile to read through 279 posts! I am still deciding between the ARRX18G and the Harmony One, or possibly the Harmony 900. The main downside seems to be the inability to control multiple DVR set top boxes, all located in the same room. I only have a TV, Blueray, one cable box, one media extender, and a VCR that is almost never used.

It took awhile for me to figure out what people were doing with 2 - 4 DVRs in one room! The answer to that logistical problem might be to consolidate the physical DVRs into one computer based DVR system. I have one SageTV computer based DVR system that can record five programs at once. The computer based system can be expanded to 12 or maybe recordings at once. The tuners feed into the SageTV system. A HD media extender is located at each TV. The recordings are stored on a pool of hard drives, which is expandable. The IR commands travel between the HD media extenders and the computer through Eithernet cable. The video/audio content also flows through the same Eithernet cable. The computer can be located anywhere in your house, such as a basement or closet.

My conclusion from reading all the posts, is the web based software is pretty flaky. The concept of the remote is good, and it might work in my situation to consolidate five remotes. However, after reading all the posts, I'm still undecided!

Dave

spam firewall