Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,816 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just curious, for anyone that has one of these remotes and an HR34, have you tried doing a macro for the PIP on/off function, how well does it work?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

I'm usually not one to raise threads like this from the dead. But a lot has changed recently that some of you may be interested in.

First, Xsight remotes are now dirt cheap and plentiful on ebay (I'm not associated with these vendors in any way):

http://www.ebay.com/...l-/181512636165 (18 device RF version $36)

http://www.ebay.com/...2-/191257685166 (15 device IR version $18)

http://www.ebay.com/...r-/111025198191 (RF base $16)

Keep in mind the MSRPs were originally $250, $150 and $100 respectively for these items. At the current prices, they are an incredible value.

These are about functionally equivalent to a Harmony 900 and Harmony One, except you can fully edit all activity macros, make unlimited length sequences and have multiple favorites lists (with logos). It doesn't do state tracking, but that's a good thing IMO, as discrete commands are much more reliable.

Second, thanks to a lot of brilliant work by the JP1 community, these are now JP1 remotes, meaning they work beautifully with Remote Master, opening up a lot more programming possibilities you can't get with Harmony, like pronto hex code import, load/save any number of configs offline, access the JP1 device upgrade database, convert learns to devices, etc.

http://www.hifi-remo...pic.php?t=14804

Here's an old review in case you aren't familiar: http://www.remotecen...h_xsight_touch/

Its claim to fame was native RF control of one DirecTV receiver at a time. While this is still true, since the RF protocol for newer receivers has changed, it won't work on those, only older models. It can still control any DirecTV receivers via IR, just like any other universal remote.

If you're like me and miss hard button remotes like the One, these are definitely worth a look, especially at these prices. Earlier complaints about the clunky web software are null and void thanks to Remote Master. And yes, these are discontinued, but so is the One, and it's still a great remote, better than current Harmony models in many ways, IMO.

Edited by mdavej, 16 December 2014 - 07:27 AM.

• Drew2k likes this

#303 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

I might have to dig mine out and give it another try, especially since the Genies (or is it just the new ones?) respond to both RF and IR at the same time. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#304 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thanks mdavej!  My xSight went into a drawer shortly after I purchased it and has sat there every since, but with new options to program it it's time to take another look...

#305 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

A few quick notes for those of you dusting off old remotes. Connect to the EZ-RC website first to update to the latest firmware before you start using Remote Master. It also goes smoother if you start with a config from the website than starting completely from scratch. And if you have Win 8.x, there's a registry tweak you'll need to make. MS, in their infinite wisdom decided to immediately put all USB ports to sleep after the first few packets of data, of course wreaking havoc with many devices, Xsight included. The fix is detailed in my link above.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...