Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ok guys, it is just as I thought... You can only use "DirecTV RF" for One receiver. :(

Looks like back it goes...

Called their support?

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

I'm also finding that when you're using ez-rc.com to setup activities it doesn't always honor what you put for input.

For instance I'm trying to setup an activity that turns on the TV and changes it to the "TV" input. I choose "TV" from the list of inputs and when the remote is updated input is being set to "None". Not good...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#123 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

Called their support?

You don't need to. The remote itself makes it impossible.

When you turn on "DirecTV RF" it asks you for the last 6 of the RID of one device. It then assigns RF to, obviously, the device who's RID you used and also assigns it to the device settings for the one device in the remote and any activities that use that device. If you go to setup a second dvr and go into DirecTV RF it already shows as "On" and once it's on there is no way to add another RF code. If you turn it off and then turn it back on it has the last 6 of the RID you already programmed. If you change the 6 then the one you already had setup for RF stops working.

EDIT: Let me add to this... This remote is CLEARLY not designed to handle more than one DirecTV remote in the same room regardless of how the unit is setup. Once you turn on DirecTV RF for one remote it assigns that RF code to EVERY DirecTV unit in your setup. I created 3 activities. One for my HR21-700, one for my HR21-100 and one for my H21-100. After turning on the RF for the HR21-700 all activities now want to power on/off the HR21-700.

I'm not happy...

Edited by RunnerFL, 01 September 2009 - 03:46 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#124 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

Ok guys, it is just as I thought... You can only use "DirecTV RF" for One receiver. :(

Looks like back it goes...

Oh wow, that is a deal breaker. No wonder they stopped replying to the Shadows emails. They certainly did not want to get cornered on that detail.
Thanks for the heads up, I just saved 250 clams.

#125 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

It does go a little distance toward explaining why they didn't want a pre-release review.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#126 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Oh wow, that is a deal breaker. No wonder they stopped replying to the Shadows emails. They certainly did not want to get cornered on that detail.
Thanks for the heads up, I just saved 250 clams.

That and all the other things I've run into really make me wish I waited. I feel like an idiot now... Oh well, I'll be stopping at Best Buy tomorrow night to return it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#127 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

It does go a little distance toward explaining why they didn't want a pre-release review.

It certainly does. I'd actually go as far as using the word "deceptive" when describing the hype surrounding this remote.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#128 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

Well, if I contributed at all to that undeserved hype, please accept this heartfelt apology.

#129 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

It certainly does. I'd actually go as far as using the word "deceptive" when describing the hype surrounding this remote.

Well... a lot of the hype was really our hope. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#130 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Well, if I contributed at all to that undeserved hype, please accept this heartfelt apology.

Oh no way Stuart, I'm not blaming you at all. You just passed on what you were told. It's their documentation and promotion that I'd call deceptive. Heck, the pdf they have you bring up for "documentation" that comes with the unit doesn't even mention DirecTV RF, it stops at page 20. Another thing about that which I find strange is that the manual itself isn't on the Disc that comes with the remote. The pdf on the disc has links where you click either on the box labeled Xsight Touch or Xsight Color and you're taken to their site for the pdf. That pdf is nothing like the one Tom posted in the thread.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#131 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

Well... a lot of the hype was really our hope. :)

True, I still feel like I have the word "sucker" written on my forehead right now though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#132 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

That and all the other things I've run into really make me wish I waited. I feel like an idiot now... Oh well, I'll be stopping at Best Buy tomorrow night to return it.

The only reason I don't have one today is because I did not want to get out in the rain on the way home.

#133 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Even if you remove and re-add the other DirecTV receivers in your setup once you have DirecTV RF on you can only control one receiver period.

Oh, and even the simplest of things doesn't work on this remote. I just noticed the clock isn't even keeping time right. I set it when I got home today, around 1:30pm, and the clock on the remote now says it is 4:55 when it is 6:13. sheesh!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#134 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

OK, that is a big difference. My Harmony 880 loses about 1 minute every 5 days but never anything that extreme.

#135 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

The only reason I don't have one today is because I did not want to get out in the rain on the way home.

Heh, the only reason mine isn't going back right now is because it's pouring down rain here. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#136 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

OK, that is a big difference. My Harmony 880 loses about 1 minute every 5 days but never anything that extreme.

Yeah, I'm considering going back to my 880. I had been using a Harmony Xbox 360 remote since it had the colored buttons. What I think I'll do is break out the 880 mainly for switching between activities and use my Buccaneers remote to control the receivers in RF.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#137 OFFLINE   John Buckingham

John Buckingham

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

I sold my PS3 recently and have an IR2BT controller that I was getting ready to sell on Ebay. If you're interested send me a PM.

If I'm not mistaken this is a Harmony device?

#138 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Since I could care less about RF and would get the 15/color model instead anyway I'd guess this RF limitation doesn't effect me at all. I can still control multiple DirecTV receivers via IR just fine I'd guess.

#139 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Something else... Unless I'm missing something if you add a device using the remote it is NOT seen in the ez-rc software even after a "sync".

I'm posting about the more important things as I come across them. I'll have other notes later.

EDIT: Ok, there is a trick to this. You have to logout of the software if you're in for the first time. Then when you login again you're given the option to upload settings from the remote. HOWEVER doing so deletes what you've already setup in the software. So if you've already setup devices using the remote before you installed the software and created an account you have to logout and log back in to upload the info from the remote to the software. crazy...

Thanks for the "blogging" as you set this up. This sounds very crazy indeed.

My Touch arrives tomorrow but I'll be sure to do all setup via the web site to avoid some of these problems, but I don't have high hopes for this remote now...

#140 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

FYI for those with Best Buy rewards zone I just got mine in the mail today and 12% off this weekend into next week. So if you're a BBWZ member might want to hold off until you get that coupon and go get it this weekend.

I'm not sure if all RZ members are on the same
schedule - I got my 12% coupons a few weeks ago.

Be sure to check the back to make sure AR remotes are not excluded, along with Bose and BDI furniture!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...