Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Even if you remove and re-add the other DirecTV receivers in your setup once you have DirecTV RF on you can only control one receiver period.

Did you experiment with multiple IR code sets? Wondering if that's more successful than RF. (Although this was probably covered already, wasn't it? My memory has been fuzzy the last couple of days.)

Oh, and even the simplest of things doesn't work on this remote. I just noticed the clock isn't even keeping time right. I set it when I got home today, around 1:30pm, and the clock on the remote now says it is 4:55 when it is 6:13. sheesh!

So that's 1 hour and 18 minutes. I'm wondering if you know how long you had the device plugged in to your laptop - was it approximately that long? Just a stab in the dark, thinking maybe it stops the clock when it's connected, but you'd think that an update to the remote via the USB cable would include synchronizing or updating the time! :nono:

Edited by Drew2k, 01 September 2009 - 09:25 PM.
Bad grammar - ain't no thing like it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Wow after all this, now I'm not so sure. I wonder if they know this about the RF mode, and maybe they'll work on a software/firmware upgrade?

Well I guess this gives Harmony the opportunity to step up to the plate now and create an RF remote that controls more then one HR. ;)

#143 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken this is a Harmony device?

No, the original IR2BT came about about 18 months ago.

HERE'S a youtube video of it being set up. It's pretty simple and slick. It originally sold for about $70, but they don't make this IR2BT anymore, they started making a pro model that sells for $150 instead (ir2bt.com)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#144 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

Since I could care less about RF and would get the 15/color model instead anyway I'd guess this RF limitation doesn't effect me at all. I can still control multiple DirecTV receivers via IR just fine I'd guess.

I wasn't able to do that either. It appears to be one DirecTV receiver period.

I even tried having the remote learn the alternate codebases for 0002 and 0003. It accepted them but it wouldn't really let you add the units to an activity because when you went to setup your activity it didn't allow you to set the power state of the units and it defaulted them to "off". If a unit is set as "off" in that part of the setup of an activity it is not included in the rest of the activity setup.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#145 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

Did you experiment with multiple IR code sets? Wondering if that's more successful than RF. (Although this was probably covered already, wasn't it? My memory has been fuzzy the last couple of days.)

So that's 1 hour and 18 minutes. I'm wondering if you know how long you had the device plugged in to your laptop - was it approximately that long? Just a stab in the dark, thinking maybe it stops the clock when it's connected, but you'd think that an update to the remote via the USB cable would include synchronizing or updating the time! :nono:

Yeah, I messed with multiple IR and that didn't seem to work either. Seems like it's on DirecTV receiver only regardless of IR or RF.

A little bit about the setup:

In order to "learn" you new codes you must first set it up using one of the devices listed in the database. You then have to let it fail, which means disconnecting and running the verification test that the remote forces on you, and then when you hook it back up it knows the code failed. At that point you can select to learn from the units existing remote. You then go thru a button by button process to setup the new codebase, and of course then you have to test it [I really hated the forced tests unit by unit activity by activity instead of waiting until the end]. Then when you go thru the activity setup. The first step is to choose the power state of each device you have setup. The 2 DVR's I setup [0002 and 0003 codebases] didn't allow me to change the power state at all. Since I could not change the power state when I got to the next step the devices were excluded from the activity.

As far as the clock question... There is no way I had it hooked up that long the way they force tests on you. It's crazy... Add a device, you must test it. Add another device you must test that... Add an activity, you must test it, and so forth.

The unit does charge when plugged in via usb so I wouldn't think the clock would stop.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#146 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

Wow after all this, now I'm not so sure. I wonder if they know this about the RF mode, and maybe they'll work on a software/firmware upgrade?

I emailed them about it [I'm not one to sit on the phone all day] and the auto response said to allow 72 hours for a response. No way I'm sitting on this purchase 72 hours waiting for an answer, it's going back on my way to work this morning. I will post what they reply with if/when they reply though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#147 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

Well I guess this gives Harmony the opportunity to step up to the plate now and create an RF remote that controls more then one HR. ;)

this was a big blow (controlling only one DVR) that effectively eliminates this remote from contention...I just hope it puts downward price pressure on the new Harmony at this point...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

#148 OFFLINE   John Buckingham

John Buckingham

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

I know I'm a novice compared to most of you. However, I'm having difficulty understanding why would you need this device to operate more than one D* receiver? My remote stays in my home theater room.

#149 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

I know I'm a novice compared to most of you. However, I'm having difficulty understanding why would you need this device to operate more than one D* receiver? My remote stays in my home theater room.

I have an HR21-700, HR21-100 and H21-100 all in my living room. Thus the need to control more than one DirecTV receiver. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#150 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

Well, I was at Best Buy last night and I saw the beast. I picked it up, shook my head sadly, and put it back down. :(
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#151 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Well, lots of people have more than one DirecTV receiver in one room.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#152 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

Well, I was at Best Buy last night and I saw the beast. I picked it up, shook my head sadly, and put it back down. :(

Beast is the right word. I'll give them this much, it's very well made. It's has some weight to it. It's made of thick plastic and doesn't feel like a toy, like most Harmony remotes do. It's not very ergonomic in comparison to others but it's well balanced and sits comfortably in your hand.

If you have a ton of stuff and only one DirecTV receiver it may be the right remote for you. But in most of our cases it won't work because of multiple receivers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#153 OFFLINE   John Buckingham

John Buckingham

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:40 AM

Well, lots of people have more than one DirecTV receiver in one room.

What are the advantages of having multiple receivers?

#154 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Being able to record more than two things for watching on the same TV
Being able to watch/buffer more than two things at the same time
Organizing recordings (his/hers/kids DVRs)

#155 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

So you can record more then 2 things at once.

#156 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

in additions to what others have said: being able to watch two things at once (e.g. Red Zone Channel on one TV and a football game on the other)...

I might also watch a game on one TV (on mute) while the second TV has something playing for the kids...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

#157 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Since I could care less about RF and would get the 15/color model instead anyway I'd guess this RF limitation doesn't effect me at all. I can still control multiple DirecTV receivers via IR just fine I'd guess.

You can. I have. I'm a bit wary of assuming that one user has managed to eliminate all possibilities of RF as well. The IR setup is a bit odd for multiple boxes, so it would not shock me if the RF method is odd as well. I am especially wary when he reports you cannot do something that I have already managed to do (IR control of two boxes).

For IR, one has to use the advanced mode to select specific device codes (S1388 for the AV1 position), or both "devices" will control the original unit. For RF I'd suggest setting two boxes up in IR, getting them to work separately, THEN converting each to RF. I'd also suggest calling their support folks.

At the very least, this is something a software update will fix. Since my unit re-flashed itself coming out of the box, such updates are possible. Contact their support.

Edited by gully_foyle, 02 September 2009 - 08:14 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#158 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

If I'm not mistaken this is a Harmony device?

It is NOT a Harmony device. It is designed by One4All and marketed in the USA by Acoustic Research. Harmony is owned by Logitech.

Edited by gully_foyle, 02 September 2009 - 08:17 AM.

#159 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

When setting up these remotes I STRONGLY recommend that one set up all the devices before setting up activites. This is not a Harmony and is at its base, device and macro based. "Activities" are just wizard-generated macros. The problems people are having may be because they are trying to set up activities first.

#160 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:16 AM

To be more precise, it's designed by Universal Electronics, makers of the One-For-All products.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...