Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acoustic Research XSight: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

For RF I'd suggest setting two boxes up in IR, getting them to work separately, THEN converting each to RF. I'd also suggest calling their support folks.

I tried it, it doesn't work. Trust me if you go to turn on DirecTV RF you can only use it on ONE unit and it assigns that RF code to EVERY DirecTV device so that you can't even use one RF and one IR. Please don't assume what I did and did not try and make me out to be some sort of liar. I tried everything possible with the remote to get RF to work on more than one unit and RF to work with another unit in IR, it's not possible.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

It is NOT a Harmony device. It is designed by One4All and marketed in the USA by Acoustic Research. Harmony is owned by Logitech.

He wasn't referring to the AR remotes, he was referring to the Bluetooth to IR adapter that spartanstew was offering to him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#163 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:46 AM

When setting up these remotes I STRONGLY recommend that one set up all the devices before setting up activites. This is not a Harmony and is at its base, device and macro based. "Activities" are just wizard-generated macros. The problems people are having may be because they are trying to set up activities first.

I setup all the devices first.

Again, please do not assume what I did or did not do...

Oh, and btw, you can't setup activities without setting up the devices for them first.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#164 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

What are the advantages of having multiple receivers?

Less of a chance of recording conflicts. There are times when I'm recording a show on NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX all at the same time.

And I use the H21, for now, to watch NASCAR races so I can flip between the network feed and the Hotpass channel without disturbing recordings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#165 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

Let me see if I've got this straight.

It won't allow for more then on DirecTV receiver in a room in both IR and RF.
It doesn't track TOAD power states.
Can I trick it into thinking I have two of the exact same TVs, each connected to a different DirecTV DVR? Then again why would I want to?

It sounds much easier to stick with my MX-810. :grin:

I'm majorly Bummed. :(

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#166 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:40 AM

What are the advantages of having multiple receivers?

We have two in our living room for Monday & Friday night recording conflicts...no we have none :D

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#167 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

Let me see if I've got this straight.

It won't allow for more then on DirecTV receiver in a room in both IR and RF.

kcmurphy88 says he was able to do this with the Xsight Color, I wasn't able to with the Xsight Touch.

It doesn't track TOAD power states.

No, it does not. And for units without discrete power on/off it can be a pain.

Can I trick it into thinking I have two of the exact same TVs, each connected to a different DirecTV DVR? Then again why would I want to?

Odds are you couldn't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#168 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

kcmurphy88 says he was able to do this with the Xsight Color, I wasn't able to with the Xsight Touch.

No, it does not. And for units without discrete power on/off it can be a pain.

Odds are you couldn't.

Odds are, ok IMHO this is a poorly thought out implementation.

Potential fixes could have been the reason for the delays. Just pondering out loud but maybe the fixes got pretty complicated and spawned a new remote. It's a theory....I hope. :grin:

Mike

µß

#169 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

Potential fixes could have been the reason for the delays. Just pondering out loud but maybe the fixes got pretty complicated and spawned a new remote. It's a theory....I hope. :grin:

Mike

Quite possibly. If I find out 6 months from now that things have been fixed and the remote will work as you'd think it should then I'd get another one. Right now though it just doesn't fit my needs since I have 3 receivers in 1 room and it will only let me control 1.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#170 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Quite possibly. If I find out 6 months from now that things have been fixed and the remote will work as you'd think it should then I'd get another one. Right now though it just doesn't fit my needs since I have 3 receivers in 1 room and it will only let me control 1.

I'm with you. As much as I loved the idea of this remote in the beginning, it is now apparent that it doesn't meet the hype.

I might get an MX-880. ;)

Mike

µß

#171 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

I tried it, it doesn't work. Trust me if you go to turn on DirecTV RF you can only use it on ONE unit and it assigns that RF code to EVERY DirecTV device so that you can't even use one RF and one IR. Please don't assume what I did and did not try and make me out to be some sort of liar. I tried everything possible with the remote to get RF to work on more than one unit and RF to work with another unit in IR, it's not possible.

I'm not "making you out to be some sort of liar", but I note that you said that you cannot have 2 DirecTV boxes controlled by _IR_ AND IN THAT YOU ARE MISTAKEN. You just cannot do it with the normal wizard sequence.

GIven that you were mistaken in this, I suggest that maybe you are mistaken in the other, and there is some sequence that will work not based on the wizards.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2013Q2 Setup here

#172 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I setup all the devices first.

Again, please do not assume what I did or did not do...

Oh, and btw, you can't setup activities without setting up the devices for them first.

You set upt the first box (the one on the normal unit number) with the wizard. When you set up the second one (the one on AV1), you select DirecTV, but instead of putting in the model number or remote model number, you select ADVANCED and select code S1388, test, and then write to flash.

You will now be able to control both boxes independently in IR.

#173 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'm not "making you out to be some sort of liar", but I note that you said that you cannot have 2 DirecTV boxes controlled by _IR_ AND IN THAT YOU ARE MISTAKEN. You just cannot do it with the normal wizard sequence.

GIven that you were mistaken in this, I suggest that maybe you are mistaken in the other, and there is some sequence that will work not based on the wizards.

This may be a difference between the touch and the color but you CANNOT have 2 in IR with the Touch... Again, don't assume...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#174 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

You set upt the first box (the one on the normal unit number) with the wizard. When you set up the second one (the one on AV1), you select DirecTV, but instead of putting in the model number or remote model number, you select ADVANCED and select code S1388, test, and then write to flash.

You will now be able to control both boxes independently in IR.

And that's EXACTLY what I tried... Again, didn't work on the Touch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#175 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Mike

So far I have found some issues with the wizards, and had to try a few codes before I found the right one for the second HR2x (IR). I would think that the _IR_ firmware is the same between the 15G and 18G, but who knows?

But, the One4All wizard aside, I very much like the way the remote works and find it very well designed for someone coming from the One4All/JP1 community. But then I am a big fan of stateless logic in a remote. It may be rather badly designed for someone expecting it to work in a state-based structure like a Harmony.

I do get annoyed when one user looks at one function, and declares the entire device to be trash as a result. Especially when some of the things he reports behave differently here. Maybe I just need to be a bit more tolerant.

#176 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

And that's EXACTLY what I tried... Again, didn't work on the Touch.

Question: Were your HR2x boxes originally set for RF? If so, you also have to set the second box for the other code. Just trying to find out why my 15G works differently than your 18G on the same function.

#177 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

I do get annoyed when one user looks at one function, and declares the entire device to be trash as a result. Especially when some of the things he reports behave differently here. Maybe I just need to be a bit more tolerant.

And just where did I say the remote was trash? Nowhere... I said it didn't control more than one unit in RF, it didn't control a second unit in IR when you were using RF, and that it didn't control 2 in IR. Nowhere did I say it was trash. In fact I did say some nice things about it.

I also had issue with more than one function. If you had read my posts you'd see that.

Again, don't assume... Also I'd appreciate it if you didn't flame me again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#178 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Question: Were your HR2x boxes originally set for RF? If so, you also have to set the second box for the other code. Just trying to find out why my 15G works differently than your 18G on the same function.

They were not, no. They were set to the 00001, 00002 and 00003 codebases. I'm no moron and I did read the instructions for the 18G where it said to set them back to IR first.

I worked with the remote for 4+ hours and tried everything imaginable and many things not in the docs. Still didn't work...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#179 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

I will trash it and I have not held one yet. Many of us were getting worked up about the idea of a universal remote that had the ability to control multiple boxes. When Shadow started trying to get more clarification, they clammed up. Because it will only control one dvr, it has lost its uniqueness and is just another remote on the table. Instead of eliminating remotes, it would add another, so it not worth me spending any money on it.

#180 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Methinks I will just wait for an MX to come out with colored buttons. I love the fact the MX series doesn't try to "help" you like many other remotes. I don't think I have ever setup a device using the code base, I just learn all button commands from the original remotes. :D

spam firewall