Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM 16 in the works...

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   k2tech

k2tech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Since D* is now doing away with the 6X16 Multiswitch, it was leaked on the D* installer forums that the SWM 16 (LNB I assume) is in the works. Sounds like it might be a dual SWM 8, with 2 cables coming out, with each capable of 8 tuners.

Also, they said there will be a push towards all SWM equipment (new installs) in Q4 of this year.

What do you guys think? Anybody know anything about it?

If this is going to be, I think a HD-DVR with 4 (or more) tuners should be developed. Outputs for multiple TV's (that could be activated by D* for $5 more per month) on it would be sweet too...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

I doubt it would be twin leads from the LNB. That seems to run contray to the goal of the DECA devices, unless the two SWiM are bridged internally. Only time will tell though.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Since D* is now doing away with the 6X16 Multiswitch, it was leaked on the D* installer forums that the SWM 16 (LNB I assume) is in the works. Sounds like it might be a dual SWM 8, with 2 cables coming out, with each capable of 8 tuners.

Also, they said there will be a push towards all SWM equipment (new installs) in Q4 of this year.

What do you guys think? Anybody know anything about it?

If this is going to be, I think a HD-DVR with 4 (or more) tuners should be developed. Outputs for multiple TV's (that could be activated by D* for $5 more per month) on it would be sweet too...

A Whole house DVR! Can you Imagine?
1 or 2 cables running from the ODU to a centralized IRD up on a shelf in the basement. The only trick would be getting HD from the box to the TV locations.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

I could easily a device that looked like a SWM8 but had 2 completely separate ports that each supported 8 tuners. If they did a SWM16 lnb they would have to have 2 ports on it. I definitely hope that they plan for DECA and set it up to automatically internally bridge the 2 sides of the SWM. It should be possible just requires the appropriate filtering.

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

I doubt something like that would be leaked in that way.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I doubt something like that would be leaked in that way.

http://forums.direct...PostID=10580185

["Once all the local offices burn through their existing inventory, they will no longer be able to order them from us- nothing wrong with them technically and we wont be replacing existing switches--

its just an equipment change with our more aggressive push towards SWM in Q4--- will have less of a need (especially once the SWM16 comes out)"]
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

http://forums.direct...PostID=10580185

["Once all the local offices burn through their existing inventory, they will no longer be able to order them from us- nothing wrong with them technically and we wont be replacing existing switches--

its just an equipment change with our more aggressive push towards SWM in Q4--- will have less of a need (especially once the SWM16 comes out)"]

I see nothing in the attachment listed in this link that says anything about an SWM16. It's just conjecture in the replies to the thread.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

You can make your own SWM 16 as it is, just do two SWM8s together. In fact they have an all in one splitter that does it all for you.

Now if there was a SWM LNB that supported 16 receivers, that could be pretty sweet.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#9 OFFLINE   pressureman0

pressureman0

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

it is coming out 2 wire lnb swm 8 each:D

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Unless they make SWM 8's available for non commercial/MDU accounts they will not make a SWM 16 and even then I doubt they will do so.

The need for 16 port multiswitch's are few and far between on average. The amount they order would be overkill just to get a good price point. SWM 8's were designed to be chained together from the start unlike WB6x8's. It can be done but they lose strength or ports depending on parallel or cascade.

#11 OFFLINE   pressureman0

pressureman0

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

i hear it from the form guy on channel 578 i had to do a pos on my super buddy for him on a hr22 100:D wait and see

#12 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Yes, there is going to be an SWM16. It's apparently not conjecture - read the third post in the thread. From a technology point of view it will be apparently look like two SWM8s (or maybe (also) an SWM dish with two outputs - not sure which, or maybe even both). Not sure what they will do about DECA.

#13 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:24 AM

Yes, there is going to be an SWM16. It's apparently not conjecture - read the third post in the thread. From a technology point of view it will be apparently look like two SWM8s (or maybe (also) an SWM dish with two outputs - not sure which, or maybe even both). Not sure what they will do about DECA.

Doing DECA across two separate SWM circuits shouldn't be a problem. The two SWM circuits could be connected via a band pass filter that passes only the DECA frequencies, thus bridging both circuits at the RF level.

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,144 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

As to pushing for all SWM intalls, I do believe that is a long term goal. How rapidly it is implemented is yet to be seen.

#15 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,010 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

Speculation threads are certainly "fun".....of course 90% of the information is typically wrong.....but they are fun. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

I doubt it would be twin leads from the LNB. That seems to run contray to the goal of the DECA devices, unless the two SWiM are bridged internally. Only time will tell though.

That would be trivial, if you can get both of the cables next to each other inside the house you can just bridge them. The coax can only handle 8 tuners, that's why there's the 8 tuner limit now..not because of the SWM switch/LNB but because RG-6 can only handle that much bandwidth reliably. Throw in a specialized DECA adapter with two RG-6 inputs, one from each SWM network and internally bridge them and the problem is solved.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

That would be trivial, if you can get both of the cables next to each other inside the house you can just bridge them. The coax can only handle 8 tuners, that's why there's the 8 tuner limit now..not because of the SWM switch/LNB but because RG-6 can only handle that much bandwidth reliably. Throw in a specialized DECA adapter with two RG-6 inputs, one from each SWM network and internally bridge them and the problem is solved.

"Another option" could be to utilize the current bandwidth by reducing the [current] SWM channel bandwidth of 100 MHz, down to 70 MHz. This would "simply" let 16 tuners access the same "SWM Band" that the eight are now. Guide Data channel stays the same, the upper limit is raised to 2150 MHz from the ~ 1800 MHz now.
I don't know if this is the way they'll do the SWM16, but it would resolve the dual cable problem.
A.K.A VOS

#18 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,010 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

"Another option" could be to utilize the current bandwidth by reducing the [current] SWM channel bandwidth of 100 MHz, down to 70 MHz. This would "simply" let 16 tuners access the same "SWM Band" that the eight are now. Guide Data channel stays the same, the upper limit is raised to 2150 MHz from the ~ 1800 MHz now.
I don't know if this is the way they'll do the SWM16, but it would resolve the dual cable problem.

Listen to this man - he know of what he speaks. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

My thoughts exactly.

This would also, completely kill any diplexing as well.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#20 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

But wouldn't that mean none of the existing SWM-ready receivers would work on this "SWM-II" system? Or, is that something that can be reprogrammed in the existing IRD's?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...