Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM 16 in the works...

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

"Another option" could be to utilize the current bandwidth by reducing the [current] SWM channel bandwidth of 100 MHz, down to 70 MHz. This would "simply" let 16 tuners access the same "SWM Band" that the eight are now. Guide Data channel stays the same, the upper limit is raised to 2150 MHz from the ~ 1800 MHz now.
I don't know if this is the way they'll do the SWM16, but it would resolve the dual cable problem.

The 102mhz channel spacing seems to be coming from the design of the technology not a choice DirecTV made in implementing it.

http://www.entropic....roducts/dbs.htm

From the DBS delivery pdf

Channel Stacking Switch (CSS ) products support multiple polarity bands down a single cable. Instead of switching the entire polarity band down the cable as in traditional multiswitch products, a CSS IC allows just the customer requested 32MHz channel to be switched down the cable. This allows many tuners to be supported inside the home across the 1.2GHz of total BW available. There is filtering required to ensure that each video channel (or User Band) does not interfere with each other, which bumps the channel spacing to ~102MHz. This allows for 12 unique tuners to be supported down a single cable run.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

http://forums.direct...PostID=10580185

["Once all the local offices burn through their existing inventory, they will no longer be able to order them from us- nothing wrong with them technically and we wont be replacing existing switches--

its just an equipment change with our more aggressive push towards SWM in Q4--- will have less of a need (especially once the SWM16 comes out)"]

It's about time they got agressive about using SWM's since in the past they've appeared to do their best to not want to install them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

I doubt it would be twin leads from the LNB. That seems to run contray to the goal of the DECA devices, unless the two SWiM are bridged internally. Only time will tell though.

"Another option" could be to utilize the current bandwidth by reducing the [current] SWM channel bandwidth of 100 MHz, down to 70 MHz. This would "simply" let 16 tuners access the same "SWM Band" that the eight are now. Guide Data channel stays the same, the upper limit is raised to 2150 MHz from the ~ 1800 MHz now.
I don't know if this is the way they'll do the SWM16, but it would resolve the dual cable problem.

The problem with that approach is that it would kill current SWM equipment and put a squeeze on the coax that is already out there. DirecTV has been pretty lax in the cabling they allow to stay in the home as a consequence of SWM being tolerant of poor conditions. A much more reasonable path would be to stick an additional switch on the other half of the LNB assembly that is empty and have two outputs on the dish. If they really wanted to make it DECA friendly and easy to install, they could build in a DECA bridge into the LNB and eliminate the external filter and just ensure that there are no diplexers on the line.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

But wouldn't that mean none of the existing SWM-ready receivers would work on this "SWM-II" system? Or, is that something that can be reprogrammed in the existing IRD's?

These frequencies aren not outside of the specs that I read so the receivers could see them. Sounds like a firmware could fix everything else.

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

It's about time they got agressive about using SWM's since in the past they've appeared to do their best to not want to install them.

I wouldn't go that far but they have restricted the use of them probably due to cost/availability. I'm guessing as availability abd pricing comes down they open them up more. SWM is really in their best interest to roll out to everyone from a customer service standpoint and a fraud perspective.

#26 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

Yes, there is going to be an SWM16. It's apparently not conjecture - read the third post in the thread. From a technology point of view it will be apparently look like two SWM8s (or maybe (also) an SWM dish with two outputs - not sure which, or maybe even both). Not sure what they will do about DECA.

That's a shame. A 2 wire dish would require 2 DECA clouds.

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I see nothing in the attachment listed in this link that says anything about an SWM16. It's just conjecture in the replies to the thread.

Note who wrote the reply... ;)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

I'm by no means "on the inside" for this, other than working with things like this.
Two SWM(8s) could be mated with a DECA crossover filter, and have a "single line" become a dual line. This isn't a stretch, but seems a bit of a kludge. Single Wire Multi-switch becomes "dual line multi-switch".
Each tuner needs only one transponder, but if they keep the current 100 MHz "spacing", then they not only will be below the guide channel, but have to also go below the DECA "block" too. This would mean only the new wideband receivers [H/HR23 and up] would work on this system, since the earlier receivers "stop at" 950 MHz.
Since it's been a couple of years with the current SWM system, "there may be" improvements in the chips to narrower the bandwidth to maybe something as low as 50 MHz, which would give each tuner one transponder. Firmware changes in the SWM "I would think" would be all that is needed, since the receiver should simply "ask" for channel/transponder "x" and the SWM sends it on "the tuner's channel".
"If this" is true, then it would be backwards compatible, which is a much better solution.
It seems as if they double up on the cables, or cut the channel bandwidth in half.
In this case "their mileage may vary", but I wait to see what they end up doing. :)
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

That's a shame. A 2 wire dish would require 2 DECA clouds.

No it wouldn't. Since DECA uses a frequency range that doesn't overlap with SWM, the DECA RF could be passed between independent SWM circuits, creating one DECA cloud that communicates on two (or more) 8 channel SWM circuits.

The real question is, how many nodes within one DECA cloud does the DECA spec support. Beyond that maximum, one would then have to create multiple DECA clouds and bridge them at the IP layer instead of at the RF layer.

#30 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

No it wouldn't. Since DECA uses a frequency range that doesn't overlap with SWM, the DECA RF could be passed between independent SWM circuits, creating one DECA cloud that communicates on two (or more) 8 channel SWM circuits.

The real question is, how many nodes within one DECA cloud does the DECA spec support. Beyond that maximum, one would then have to create multiple DECA clouds and bridge them at the IP layer instead of at the RF layer.

Assuming it is based on MoCA it is either 8 nodes for MoCA 1.0 or 16 for 1.1

What is the status of the MoCA specification?

The MoCA 1.0 MAC/PHY spec was ratified two years ago. Products with MoCA 1.0 embedded are available from several companies and include set top boxes, routers and gateways, bridges and ONTs.

MoCA 1.1 extension has been ratified and offers additional benefits. These include parameterized quality of service (PQoS) for provisioning and bandwidth management of real time data requests for video applications.

MoCA 1.1 with packet aggregation also increases the net throughput performance from 110 Mpbs to 175 Mpbs.

MoCA is the only organization that actively promotes its net throughput metrics. While other may claim higher performance, these are generally theoretical bit rates. This is the difference between what is promised and what is received.

This new extension also increases the network from the current eight nodes to 16 nodes.

http://www.mocallian...outus/faq.php#7

#31 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

I'm by no means "on the inside" for this, other than working with things like this.
Two SWM(8s) could be mated with a DECA crossover filter, and have a "single line" become a dual line. This isn't a stretch, but seems a bit of a kludge. Single Wire Multi-switch becomes "dual line multi-switch".

I don't think it's a kludge at all. The main utility that SWM technology provides comes from the ability to connect mulltiple DVRs with only a single cable run to the location of each DVR (including a single cable run to a group of 2-4 DVRs), and being able to supply multiple DVRs off that single cable run by using simple RF splitters on the cable line.

I don't see a big downside to having run another cable line to support more tuners past the maximum that one SWM cable can supply. It's still a whole lot simpler that the "old technology" of needing four cable runs to a central multiswitch location and then two lines from that location to every DVR.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

I don't think it's a kludge at all. The main utility that SWM technology provides comes from the ability to connect mulltiple DVRs with only a single cable run to the location of each DVR (including a single cable run to a group of 2-4 DVRs), and being able to supply multiple DVRs off that single cable run by using simple RF splitters on the cable line.

I don't see a big downside to having run another cable line to support more tuners past the maximum that one SWM cable can supply. It's still a whole lot simpler that the "old technology" of needing four cable runs to a central multiswitch location and then two lines from that location to every DVR.

We all have opinions, though we may not agree, it doesn't make anyone wrong.
One of the plans with SWM was to be able to utilize pre-wired [CATV] coax, which a dual SWM wouldn't support [as well].
"If a hard drive" can get twice as big and be half the price, within a couple of year [especially after I've bought the older one], then it would seem the chips used in the SWM could have also improved.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

2 au9s dishes, 2 swm-8 = SWM16+ :) :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#34 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

One of the plans with SWM was to be able to utilize pre-wired [CATV] coax, which a dual SWM wouldn't support [as well].
"If a hard drive" can get twice as big and be half the price, within a couple of year [especially after I've bought the older one], then it would seem the chips used in the SWM could have also improved.

The problem is that existing equipment doesn't have the new chips, and it may not be as simple as new firmware. If the tuners can't physically tune different or narrower frequencies then they have to stay with the existing system.

I would be willing to bet real money that a SWM LNB that supports 16 tuners would simply be a two output SWM LNB with double the circuitry, and that they solve DECA by bridging the two SWM networks.

#35 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Having to use multiple SWM circuits does not mean that pre-wired coax can't be used. It only means that you have to be able to tap into that coax with an SWM line at multiple points where there will be less than 8 tuners downstream of each tap point. Adding more SWM channels per SWM line only reduces that problem somewhat, but it has nothing to do with whether or not either method supports the use of pre-wired coax.

I'm all for squeezing as many SWM channels into a single coax as possible, but even if the number of channels is increased, there will still be a limit, and beyond that limit, pre-wired coax runs will have to be split and supplied by multiple SWM circuits.

#36 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

2 au9s dishes, 2 swm-8 = SWM16+ :) :)

I'm sure you're just joking around, but multiple SWM8's can be utilized on one dish currently.

#37 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

I'm sure you're just joking around, but multiple SWM8's can be utilized on one dish currently.

I know, and yes I was joking.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#38 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

I know, and yes I was joking.

I figured. :D

But seriously, I think D* looking at additional technologies and uses for SWM is a great thing. SWM16, DECA, who knows what else may follow. Speculation is always part of the fun in these types of situations and I say bring it on :hurah:

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

The problem is that existing equipment doesn't have the new chips, and it may not be as simple as new firmware. If the tuners can't physically tune different or narrower frequencies then they have to stay with the existing system.

I would be willing to bet real money that a SWM LNB that supports 16 tuners would simply be a two output SWM LNB with double the circuitry, and that they solve DECA by bridging the two SWM networks.

When I first read/heard about this, I was thinking of the dual output. Then after a bit more thinking, narrowing the channel bandwidth, seems more like the way they'll do it.
I don't follow your first "problem". "the chips" are in the SWM, not the receiver. The receiver [tuner] tunes to only one channel [of the many on a transponder], so none of this is on the receiver side. A receiver can tune to both SWM & non SWM channels. The SWM simply acts as a "pre-tuner" narrowing down the signals coming from the dish [and converting them]. A tuner in "non-SWM" mode is being fed 500 MHz of channels. In current SWM mode is fed 100 MHz. "A channel" is somewhere around 5-6 MHz, so "really" the transponder bandwidth, would be the minimum bandwidth [needed] for "a SWM channel" [which I think is about 36 MHz].
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

When I first read/heard about this, I was thinking of the dual output. Then after a bit more thinking, narrowing the channel bandwidth, seems more like the way they'll do it.
I don't follow your first "problem". "the chips" are in the SWM, not the receiver. The receiver [tuner] tunes to only one channel [of the many on a transponder], so none of this is on the receiver side. A receiver can tune to both SWM & non SWM channels. The SWM simply acts as a "pre-tuner" narrowing down the signals coming from the dish [and converting them]. A tuner in "non-SWM" mode is being fed 500 MHz of channels. In current SWM mode is fed 100 MHz. "A channel" is somewhere around 5-6 MHz, so "really" the transponder bandwidth, would be the minimum bandwidth [needed] for "a SWM channel" [which I think is about 36 MHz].

What does each of the current 102 Mhz wide SWM channels contain? Multiple transponders? Do you know how many?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...