Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gladiator on Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Bummer! I was looking forward to this on Blu-ray..

Here's details from www.blu-ray.com

"There is a bit of controversy with one of today's releases, so I'm just going to get this out of the way as quickly as possible to avoid any further distraction. While not a horrible presentation, the Blu-ray release of ‘Gladiator' does not live up to the promise of Paramount's Sapphire Series to “present each cinematic gem in the highest quality.” The studio used a clearly outdated master for this release......."

Full story: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3349

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Wow that SUCKS!!! I may still pick it up though just to see for myself!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#3 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Disappointing. :down:

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Blockbuster first.

#5 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

The flip-side of this is the Braveheart release is apparently one of the best video/audio Blu-Ray discs produced to date. Personally, I may pick up Braveheart, but I'm going to wait on Gladiator to see if Paramount goes back and does it right....

#6 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

Amazon will have these for $12.99 at some point.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

The flip-side of this is the Braveheart release is apparently one of the best video/audio Blu-Ray discs produced to date. Personally, I may pick up Braveheart, but I'm going to wait on Gladiator to see if Paramount goes back and does it right....

Apocalypto was awesome, too, as far as one of the best video/audio Blu-Ray.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

I bought this at BestBuy for $17.99 along with Braveheart for $17.99 as a two BluRay deal. Each disc also has a $10 rebate if you already have the DVD (which I do). Mrs. Smiddy and I are going to watch Braveheart again this evening.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#9 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

Gladiator is one of my all time favorites, so I'm sad to hear the release is not the best quality. I'll wait for a better release before I buy. In the mean time, I'll just watch the HD recording I have on my DVR

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

I bought this at BestBuy for $17.99 along with Braveheart for $17.99 as a two BluRay deal. Each disc also has a $10 rebate if you already have the DVD (which I do). Mrs. Smiddy and I are going to watch Braveheart again this evening.

I did the same thing today and also used a BB 10% off coupon, which you're not supposed to use for new releases, but they gave it to me anyway. Also had $10 in BB Reward bucks. $25 out the door for both movies.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

I'm going to wait several months until they go to special. I already own both movies on DVD.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...