Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Logitech Harmony 700

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...29&d=1251984535

It looks like Logitech is finally making up for lost time in the remote arena. Yesterday, they showed the Harmony 700, which seems to slot in below the one and will probably replace some of the older, pre-Logitech inventory that's still out there.

Looks like they got some things right: color buttons are right there, and it looks like the standard rechargeable AA's can be charged through the USB port.

However, there's still no dedicated LIST button. Who does Logitech think buys a $180 remote. People without DVRs?

What remains to be seen, and this is all important stuff:
  • How many devices
  • How many activities (there are three hard activity buttons and a "more activities" button)
  • Macros, yes or no
  • IR Learning (probably yes, all the others have it)

I need a replacement for my trusty old 880. Neither the 900 nor the XSight make sense, so it's this or the "one."

Logitech's product page is here. The attached photo is from their page.

Let's see what we can dig up about this new remote!

Attached Thumbnails

• 16144.1.0.jpg

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 03 September 2009 - 09:39 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Already a posting on CNET about it with an even nicer picture [Link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

That is a great picture but in this case it's not worth a thousand words. In light of the recent negative reviews of the XSight, I'm reserving judgment until I read a proper review.

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

That is a great picture but in this case it's not worth a thousand words. In light of the recent negative reviews of the XSight, I'm reserving judgment until I read a proper review.

I agree and I doubt it does native D* RF, even in the XSight limited ability.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Oh I'm sure it doesn't do any RF. But at least it's upfront about that. I expect this to be a replacement for the 600 series and also good for people who had an 880 but didn't use the full potential.

#6 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Actually the pre-order price on the website as of now is $149.00 for the 700.

[IMG] Who does Logitech think buys a $180 remote. People without DVRs?

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

UGH! I just decided to compromise on a Harmony One. I would have loved to gotten a 900 but couldn't justify the cost. I think this one would actually have been better for me than the One.

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

I love the layout of this remote guys... It's the same as the Harmony One and 900! I'm pleased it seems to have more room around the color keys, as my Gigantor thumbs would have a problem with the spacing on the 900.

I just posted a somewhat trashy review of the XSight Touch in that thread, but this looks promising as an IR remote, assuming it supports multiple DVRs and also has macros. Gotta have macros!

As a DIRECTV remote, this would truly then be a great replacement for the white DIRECTV remote. Evey key is present except BACK, ACTIVE and FORMAT, so I'd add CC as a macro and place them on the soft-buttons. Perfect!

#9 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

Steve

Is there anything else you don't like on the 900 besides the price ?

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Not sure to whom the question is directed but for me, the 900 is too much remote. I don't need RF, but I do want macros which the 900 does not do. If the street price for this remote is about $150 as stated above, and if it does macros, learning and enough devices/activities for me, then it's a winner!

#11 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

I've been testing this remote for awhile (and before anyone brings up NDA, we've been specifically told by Logitech what we can talk about now that it is announced) and I love it. It replaced a Harmony 880 remote, and I'm not looking back. Main limitations are that it only supports six devices, no RF, and the screen only supports four buttons (two on each side. However, given the number of hard buttons, I've found I rarely need to use the screen - especially for day-to-day use of the remote with my HR20/PS3/Apple TV/Roku. All-in-all, I would say Logitech has a fantastic remote on its hands - highly recommended.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.

Edited by ahintz, 03 September 2009 - 11:29 AM.

HR44-500 with 3LNB Slimline Dish
Late 2010 27" iMac and Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro
Complete Setup

#12 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

Not sure to whom the question is directed but for me, the 900 is too much remote. I don't need RF, but I do want macros which the 900 does not do. If the street price for this remote is about $150 as stated above, and if it does macros, learning and enough devices/activities for me, then it's a winner!

Macro support is very basic in the Harmony line - basically, you can setup a sequence of commands and assign that to either a hard or soft button. For example, I have a sequence setup on my 700 that turns off the TV and sets my AV receiver to a 60-minute sleep window.

Now, the limitation with this is that you can only set 5 commands to a sequence, and sequences can't reference other sequences.

As far as I know, sequences should be available on the 900 - it is definitely available on the 700, 880, and 890.

Complete Setup

#13 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

...Gotta have macros!...

...I don't need RF, but I do want macros which the 900 does not do....

I'm not sure what your definition of a macro is, but I though all Harmony's have the ability to map multiple commands to a single button push - which would be my definition of a macro.

From the harmony FAQID=1142:

Mapping multiple commands to a single is button is known as a Sequence.

To create a sequence, please follow these steps:

Click Customize Buttons beside an Activity.
Click Add Sequence.
Give the Sequence a name.
Select the device(s) and commands that will be included in the sequence.
Click Add another Sequence to append additional sequences to the list.
Click Done.
Sequence will now appear as a selectable item in each drop down menu in the Device column.
If Sequence has been selected in the Device column, all the Sequences that have been created will appear in the Command column.
Select a Sequence.
Click Done.
Click Update Remote to download these changes into your remote.
There is a Maximum of 5 commands per Sequence.
The amount of sequences per account is unlimited, however, there is a maximum of 10 sequences per Activity.
It is not possible to use Sequences in Picture Mode, Sound Mode or Device Mode.

I know that I've nested 2 sequences (7 or 8 commands) into another sequence. It's definitely 'kludgy', but it did do the trick for me. Depending on your needs, the 55 command limit per activity may still be a deal breaker.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

I've been testing this remote for awhile (and before anyone brings up NDA, we've been specifically told by Logitech what we can talk about now that it is announced) and I love it. It replaced a Harmony 880 remote, and I'm not looking back. Main limitations are that it only supports six devices, no RF, and the screen only supports four buttons (two on each side. However, given the number of hard buttons, I've found I rarely need to use the screen - especially for day-to-day use of the remote with my HR20/PS3/Apple TV/Roku. All-in-all, I would say Logitech has a fantastic remote on its hands - highly recommended.

A somewhat dumb question...Are the buttons plastic or rubber?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Is there a limit to the number of activities?

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

When you say the screen only supports 4 buttons is that at a time or period? Can you have multiple pages of 4 buttons?

This might work for me, having to give up on my hopes of RF I guess, but
6 devices is a kind of low number, I'd need approx 8 for my setup to completely pack away all of my remotes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

A somewhat dumb question...Are the buttons plastic or rubber?

They are rubbery - they aren't a hard plastic, but they aren't a full-on rubber. I find them very comfortable to use.

Complete Setup

#18 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Is there a limit to the number of activities?

No - you can have as many activities as you want. There are four hard activity buttons at the top of the remote. You can assign three activities to the first three buttons. The fourth button brings up an activities list on the screen. Note that you can't order the activities on the screen - it shows the activities not assigned to a hard button first, but there is no way to tell it what order to list them in.

When you say the screen only supports 4 buttons is that at a time or period? Can you have multiple pages of 4 buttons?

You can have as many pages as you want - just four buttons per screen.

Complete Setup

#19 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hmmm, I really like the look of the remote and I like the buttons, alot. But it doesn't look like a $150 remote to me, more like $100.

6 devices isn't very many, but would work in a couple of my set-ups.

I will definitely look forward to seeing this remote released. (and hopefully in the $100 range)
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

But it doesn't look like a $150 remote to me, more like $100.

I was thinking the same thing but then when you consider that it's rechargeable you get the extra $50 back just in savings on batteries.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall