Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A step too far with banner ads

usb

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

I think DirecTV is pushing the envelope a bit far with the use of banner ads. Over the last few days, HBO-E is wrapped with a banner on top and another on the bottom for a pay-per-view.

I will be sending an e-mail voicing my displeasure for this practice and hope others will as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:14 AM

I think DirecTV is pushing the envelope a bit far with the use of banner ads. Over the last few days, HBO-E is wrapped with a banner on top and another on the bottom for a pay-per-view.

I will be sending an e-mail voicing my displeasure for this practice and hope others will as well.

I have not seen it, but my guess it is a free view weekend. Usually when they give out the pay channels for free, they load up on the advertising.

#3 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:09 AM

There's an ad banner for State Of Play PPV, one above and below my HBO-E

#4 OFFLINE   PicaKing

PicaKing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:14 AM

Who cares????? Just don't read it. It's really not as big deal.
Slimline 5 LNB
HR20-100 attached to Panasonic 42" plasma via HDMI
HR10-250
HR21-700
HR22
D-15
Some really old SD receiver out on the deck

#5 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:51 AM

I say there aren't enough!

I would love for there to be an ad when I pause TV, when I go to the main menu, when I open a folder and for there to a place full of ads call showcas/places!

And when people ask why so many ads we say it's to keep our subscription prices low!!

____
In case anyone didn't get it, that a Tivo joke(Everything I said applies to current Tivos):)

#6 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

Those adds are very annoying! ESP with the slow guides.

Just wait till they start putting animation in them and making them pop out of the screen. Its only a matter of time.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

Yes, it would. Should they do that my DirecTV bill would go to $0.00.

I say there aren't enough!

I would love for there to be an ad when I pause TV, when I go to the main menu, when I open a folder and for there to a place full of ads call showcas/places!

And when people ask why so many ads we say it's to keep our subscription prices low!!

____
In case anyone didn't get it, that a Tivo joke(Everything I said applies to current Tivos):)

#8 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Yes, it would. Should they do that my DirecTV bill would go to $0.00.

With so many damn ads Tivo has one would think.:lol:

Edited by lee78221, 07 September 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

I do. It's not to bad when it's just one ad but when its ad-channel-same ad it is cluttered and very annoying.

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

more guide ads equals slower guide scrolling.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#11 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:43 AM

I don't mind putting up with advertising in return for free services, such as we enjoy with OTA network television and websites like DBSTalk, Yahoo, etc. However, when I pay a premium for my services, I don't want to have to put up with annoying advertisements. The argument that it "keeps prices down" just doesn't hold water. If D* was struggling for profits, I might agree, but they aren't. How would you feel is every time you got into your Mercedes-Benz or Lexus, you have to page through advertisements on your navigation system to get to the place you wanted? This is the same thing and it needs to stop.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

Glad someone started this thread, as I too think this week they've gotten it "wrong".
My threshold for these is quite low. Two or so is about all I want to see [if none isn't an option], AND the colors need to be compatible with the guide color too.
Hey, I'm already looking at the guide, I don't need some blatant, brightly colored banner to get my attention.
This was one of the reasons I dumped cable, as mine had these on every page of the guide.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Glad someone started this thread, as I too think this week they've gotten it "wrong".
My threshold for these is quite low. Two or so is about all I want to see [if none isn't an option], AND the colors need to be compatible with the guide color too.
Hey, I'm already looking at the guide, I don't need some blatant, brightly colored banner to get my attention.
This was one of the reasons I dumped cable, as mine had these on every page of the guide.

lol, get off my guide you young whippersnappers applies here too :)

Rudeney also made a good point.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#14 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

The argument that it "keeps prices down" just doesn't hold water. If D* was struggling for profits, I might agree, but they aren't.

Just because they don't NEED more money that doesn't mean they don't WANT more money.:)

I guess having Tivo and Time warner cable for the past 1-2 years, just two little ads don't seem much( and with Tivos boat load of ads).

#15 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

The banner ads have gotten ridiculous!!!

#16 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Has D* said that this ad spam makes our bills lower? If so where?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#17 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Has D* said that this ad spam makes our bills lower? If so where?

No, they haven't and it won't. DirecTV is going to raise your rates every year as their goal is to maximize profitability and revenue growth. Every year they have to increase their profits, gross, etc. in order to keep their investors happy. They will do that through every venue they can. The only way something will stop is if it negatively effects those goals.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

I care. It's not as if I have the option to not notice them ... they're so in-your-face loud and obnoxious they can't be ignored.

#19 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

and these aren't like an ad for a product - they are promoting a specific show or channel, DirecTV can't be making money off of these - just annoying people.
As I said when they first appeared if NO ONE ever clicks on these they would eventually go away, but people must click through some time.

#20 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

With so many damn ads Tivo has one would think.:lol:

Don't laugh. I read that advertisers are coming up with creative ways to get their message to viewers with DVR's. In fact, I read that some of the newest TiVo's actually put an ad onscreen when skipping ahead in a program!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb

Protected By... spam firewall...And...