Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huntington/Charleston WV HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

I just spoke to a guy at one the local affiliates and he said there was no timetable for the locals to be added in HD and that it was getting pretty frustrating for them. I have no idea what's going on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,054 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

At this point I think we are pretty good for either tomorrow (per an exec at one of the affiliates) or on the 23rd (per Satelliteracer).

#3 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

You might be right, but the guy I talked to has worked at WSAZ for a very long time and has always been very reliable. By the way, will be be contacted by DirecTV before the channels are launched or will we just see them on the guide at some point?

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

You will just see them in the guide. Tonight I will turn off "Hide SD Duplicates" in the menu and check when I get up around 6:30. New channels traditionally launch at 6:00am, so if they are going to be up, then they should be up by then.

Also note, WSAZ is owned by Gray Television which has a blanket agreement in place with DirecTV for retranmission of HD LIL. So it is very possible that all the details are being handled at the corporate level with the local guys not being kept in the loop. Also, now that all the feeds used by DirecTV are the digital feeds captured via OTA, there may be very little if anything the local affiliate needs to do.

My source works at the locally owned affiliate and would be in a position to know. When asked last week if HD locals were lauching on DirecTV next week he responded "Yes".

#5 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

I emailed DirecTV earlier today and this is part of the response I got:

"We hope to be able to announce a start date for HD local channels in Charleston-Huntington WV soon."

#6 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Remember the SD launch in this same market?

#7 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

SamC,
You'll have to fill me in because I've only been with DirecTV for a couple of years.

#8 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

SamC,
You'll have to fill me in because I've only been with DirecTV for a couple of years.

Short version:

DirecTV in that era used channel 999 for customer info. It put up a card announcing locals in a list of 30-some markets, including H-C, with a time table.

Then it ran into first legal, and then technical, problems launching the sat that was to carry them. It took the card down and changed it to "soon", which turned out to be over a year late. And it denied that it had ever said any different. Offered no compensation, or even an apology. Nothing but obfuscation.

Then, when it finally got the sat up, it rolled out every other market before H-C. Despite its claims to have it "all worked out", it actually did not have a deal with the local (locally owned) CBS until the day before launch and did not carry the local UPN/WB (now CW) channel for 15 more months after launch.

#9 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for filling me in. That doesn't make me feel much better about getting the HD locals anytime soon. :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for filling me in. That doesn't make me feel much better about getting the HD locals anytime soon. :nono2:

Are you looking for Huntington HD? Your wait is almost over

#11 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

Are you looking for Huntington HD? Your wait is almost over

Do you still think they will be launched on the 23rd? You have to forgive me because I have heard so many different stories about whether the hd locals will be launched this month. I trust what you tell me, because you have been dead on in the past, but according to DirecTV and a local affiliate they say they are nowhere near close to launching these channels. Hope you can understand my confusion.:confused:

#12 OFFLINE   bsbuskirk

bsbuskirk

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 101 posts
  • LocationParkersburg WV DMA

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

Any chance the Parkersburg DMA launches at the same time? Could we pick up the Charleston-Huntington locals as significantly viewed? Throw me a bone Racer!!!

#13 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

Do you still think they will be launched on the 23rd? You have to forgive me because I have heard so many different stories about whether the hd locals will be launched this month. I trust what you tell me, because you have been dead on in the past, but according to DirecTV and a local affiliate they say they are nowhere near close to launching these channels. Hope you can understand my confusion.:confused:

Yes, I think the 23rd looks good for now...subject to change of course, but right now looks good.

#14 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:36 AM

Well no HD Locals today, but have you Charleston-Huntington people been looking at your guide in advance? I have, but what I saw is very confusing to me :confused: The shows are all listed normally until Monday at 8 PM on Sept. 21st and then it says "To Be Announced". I have personally never known D* to do anything on a Monday night, but I can't figure out why the guide reads the way it does :confused:

EDIT: I forgot to add I have my SD channels hidden.

Edited by Dolly, 09 September 2009 - 04:44 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

It is rather academic to me, because I am one of the few people who can get the "Big Four" networks OTA in this market. But, obviously I know lots of people and would like to see them finally get HD locals. The market is a split market, with CBS, NBC, and PBS liscened to Huntington with towers just north east of the town; and Fox and ABC liscensed to Charleston with a joint tower west of the town, the towers being about 40 miles apart. Combined with the topography and the huge (second largest east of the Mississippi) mean that getting all four OTA is limited to maybe 10% of the market's residents, and getting ANY TV OTA impossible to maybe 40% of people. Made more complex by the CW, and auxiliary PBS stations being in even more distant places, CW being a more or less "rimshot" station.

You would think that such a market's (similar to Roanoke-Lynchburg, the Tri-Cities, etc) would be taken into account when these decisions were made.

My main hope is that DirecTV will carry WSAZ's "sideband" MyZ channel, which is a combined My and This affiliate and takes the SEC packages when WSAZ has a conflict with its primary NBC, and is rumored to add more sports (Marshall games) next year. While I know its not required, all of the cable companies do, and similar sideband stations show up in other place's DirecTV HD locals packages in a few places.

#16 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

It is rather academic to me, because I am one of the few people who can get the "Big Four" networks OTA in this market.

I can as well, which I guess makes sense since we live in the same area. I just want them so I can record the SAT version and save space on my DVR. For watching sports though I will stick with the OTA version. Plus I want my parents to be able to drop their cable which they use for local HD.

Can you get the CW OTA? I can't and I can see the LRF tower from my neighborhood which does not bode well for anyone hoping to get it on launch day unless there is a fiber link from the station.

#17 OFFLINE   TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

Is there any chance they add MyZTV? There's a couple of Kentucky Wildcat games on that station usually.

#18 OFFLINE   Scratch

Scratch

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Is there any chance they add MyZTV? There's a couple of Kentucky Wildcat games on that station usually.

I would love to have that channel too, but I doubt it will be added. I think about the only way to get that channel is to have an OTA.

Somebody can help me here, but has DirecTV added any MyZ channels to any local markets?

#19 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

MyZ TV? Do you mean My Network? Or is there another network out there now?

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#20 OFFLINE   TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

MyZTV is the sister channel to WSAZ.

There's alot of channels around the US with MY in it tho so it might be a network.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...