Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huntington/Charleston WV HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

MyZTV is the sister channel to WSAZ.

That takes bandwidth away from the HD version of WSAZ.:(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jwittenmyer

jwittenmyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Something odd happened to me over the weekend. I was watching the Reds on FSN and had the VT/ALA score up using the red button little box thingy. Then I went to switch over using the box's Watch Now or whatever it is option. It took me to Channel 8 which is the Huntington ABC, but it was in HD and said "8 -- Test" in the channel banner. It tried typing in 8-1 manually, and just going to 8 manually, but it would just come up in SD. Using the scoreguide to tune the channel took me right to the weird "8 -- Test" in glorious HD. Anyone else experience anything like this? I figured it must mean the HD locals are coming VERY soon. Hopefully when satelliteracer predicts.

Also, will my HD DNS channels from NYC go dark automatically, or will I get lucky enough to have both?
DirecTV HR20-100
Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround
Philips DVP-5982 1080p DVD
Logitech Harmony 676

#23 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

I will give that a try tomorrow night for the NFL game and see if 3 is up.

At some point, you will probably lose your HD DNS. :( But hopefully not immediately.

#24 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well with some strange things going on now with Charleston-Huntington I do feel certain we will have them by at least the 23rd of this month. But I still don't understand that strange information I got on the guide that started at 8 PM on Monday the 21st of this month :confused:

#25 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

It gets even more interesting! When I don't hide my SD Channels the Charleston-Huntington locals show normal programming up until Tuesday Sept. 22 at 8 PM and then it says "To Be Announced".
Again I have never known D* to do anything at 8 PM on a Tuesday. And now I'm more confused than ever :confused: With SD hidden the "To Be Announced" is listed at 8 PM on Monday Sept. 21st, but when I don't hide my SD Channels the "To Be Announced" shows up on Tuesday Sept. 22nd again at 8 PM :eek2: Come on D* just give us our Locals please :angel:

#26 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Can you get the CW OTA?

No, which is one thing that p***ed me off back then the SD launched. I was very much interested in the UPN line up, which, longtimers will remember, DirecTV did nothing to accomodate nationally either.

CW, which is WQCW is located in West Portsmouth, over 45 air miles west of Huntington and almost 90 from Charleston. In fact, its tower is only about 5 miles from the Adams County line, Adams County being in the Cincinnati DMA. Its two low power repeaters, one located on the PBS tower outside Huntington and one located on a radio tower in Charleston, still broadcast in NTSC analog, and thus SD. I do not think there is anybody who can receive the CW signal and any other signal in this market. In any event I doubt DirecTV will carry the channel in HD. This size market is going to get the "big four" only.

Now to "MyZ". This is a valid channel offering, IMHO. The My Network, late night and daytime material from the This Network, and, most importantly, it splits WSAZ's SEC and UK football and basketball packages depending on what NBC has on the main WSAZ. And it is rumored to pick up Marshall sports, perhaps as soon as basketball season. All cable companies carry it. I count at least a dozen markets where DirecTV carries similar My or CW affiliates on these "sideband" channels, including the similar Tri-Cites, Lexington, and Knoxville markets. So we can hope.

#27 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

The one thing MyZ may have going for it is WSAZ is owned by Gray which is a large corporation with multiple affiliates. They may have the pull to get it up where a single locally owned station might not.

I still hate it steals bandwidth from WSAZ HD but I really don't watch much NBC anyway. Come to think of it, only the NFL and Chuck.

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

It took me to Channel 8 which is the Huntington ABC, but it was in HD and said "8 -- Test" in the channel banner.

If you get back to the channel again, press the UP arrow, select a box and save the channel there. You might be able to go back to it that way as it uses/saves the specific channel ID and not a generic number like "8".

I use it to be able to to tune the SD version of The Weather Channel while I have the SD channels hidden. This is so I can get the local weather.

#29 OFFLINE   jonesron

jonesron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

It gets even more interesting! When I don't hide my SD Channels the Charleston-Huntington locals show normal programming up until Tuesday Sept. 22 at 8 PM and then it says "To Be Announced".
Again I have never known D* to do anything at 8 PM on a Tuesday. And now I'm more confused than ever :confused: With SD hidden the "To Be Announced" is listed at 8 PM on Monday Sept. 21st, but when I don't hide my SD Channels the "To Be Announced" shows up on Tuesday Sept. 22nd again at 8 PM :eek2: Come on D* just give us our Locals please :angel:

I'm not certain what you consider so odd about the guide listing. It typically shows a maximum of 13 days into the future and mine currently shows the locals to 8pm on the 22nd (like you reported) and for the various other Directv channels their listings generally end at various times on the 20th, 21st or 22nd after which they are all listed as To Be Announced. It does appears that the best info available indicates Sept. 23rd for the turn of the HD locals and perhaps within another day or two we will see something in the program guide to reflect this. However, the HD locals may not show up in the guide until the day they go active. It would be interesting to see how Directv has rolled out the program guide expanded listings for the HD locals in other markets, especially those that have gone on the air within the past few months. I did go thru this several years ago when I lived in Northern Virginia (DC locals), but I don't recall if they showed up in the program guide in advance of being turned on by Directv, or not.

Edited by jonesron, 09 September 2009 - 07:53 PM.

Ron Jones

Blog: Projector Reviews

#30 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

Something odd happened to me over the weekend. I was watching the Reds on FSN and had the VT/ALA score up using the red button little box thingy. Then I went to switch over using the box's Watch Now or whatever it is option. It took me to Channel 8 which is the Huntington ABC, but it was in HD and said "8 -- Test" in the channel banner. It tried typing in 8-1 manually, and just going to 8 manually, but it would just come up in SD. Using the scoreguide to tune the channel took me right to the weird "8 -- Test" in glorious HD. Anyone else experience anything like this?

You have discovered something. I tried this. They just updated the Scoreguide from last week to this and if you go and look at tonight's Steelers game and select "NBC HD" it will take you to " * - TEST " which is WSAZ in HD, the same if you select Sunday's NASCAR event on ABC HD, you get " * - TEST" which is WCHS in HD. Unfortunatly this is the one week that there is no CBS SEC game, and Fox's baseball listing would not show up until Saturday morning.

#31 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:52 AM

You have discovered something. I tried this. They just updated the Scoreguide from last week to this and if you go and look at tonight's Steelers game and select "NBC HD" it will take you to " * - TEST " which is WSAZ in HD, the same if you select Sunday's NASCAR event on ABC HD, you get " * - TEST" which is WCHS in HD. Unfortunatly this is the one week that there is no CBS SEC game, and Fox's baseball listing would not show up until Saturday morning.

Are you saying that you are able to tune the channels this way? Or that you just see them listed?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#32 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

Unfortunatly this is the one week that there is no CBS SEC game, and Fox's baseball listing would not show up until Saturday morning.

There is US Open Tennis which will be in the Scoreguide. But like you mentioned, we have to wait until Saturday morning.

Like I mentioned before, you can save these channels once they are tuned by pressing the UP arrow, selecting a box and then pressing the GREEN button. Then they can be recalled by using the UP arrow and selecting the channel and then pressing SELECT.

Looks like we are getting close.:D

#33 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

Are you saying that you are able to tune the channels this way? Or that you just see them listed?

From Scoreguide when you select the Channel Info from the NASCAR race for example, there is a area called Channel Info. Move to it and press Select and it brings up ABC HD and ABC. Pressing ABC HD takes you to the 8 Test channel. You are watching the channel. Using the method above will save it for you.

#34 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

From Scoreguide when you select the Channel Info from the NASCAR race for example, there is a area called Channel Info. Move to it and press Select and it brings up ABC HD and ABC. Pressing ABC HD takes you to the 8 Test channel. You are watching the channel. Using the method above will save it for you.

Pretty neat, thanks. I'll check it out when I get home!

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#35 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Can you get the CW OTA? I can't and I can see the LRF tower from my neighborhood which does not bode well for anyone hoping to get it on launch day unless there is a fiber link from the station.

Wouldn't DirecTV be getting the digital feed from CW already and downrezing it since (I assume) they've stopped broadcasting their analog signal??

#36 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'm not certain what you consider so odd about the guide listing. It typically shows a maximum of 13 days into the future and mine currently shows the locals to 8pm on the 22nd (like you reported) and for the various other Directv channels their listings generally end at various times on the 20th, 21st or 22nd after which they are all listed as To Be Announced. It does appears that the best info available indicates Sept. 23rd for the turn of the HD locals and perhaps within another day or two we will see something in the program guide to reflect this. However, the HD locals may not show up in the guide until the day they go active. It would be interesting to see how Directv has rolled out the program guide expanded listings for the HD locals in other markets, especially those that have gone on the air within the past few months. I did go thru this several years ago when I lived in Northern Virginia (DC locals), but I don't recall if they showed up in the program guide in advance of being turned on by Directv, or not.

Thanks for explaining the guide :sunsmile: I had not looked far enough ahead on the guide I guess to ever see any other "To Be Announced" on the guide. This was the first time for me to look that far ahead and since it was around the time we are expected to get our HD Locals I mistakenly thought that was why the "To Be Announced" was there. This is what I love about this Forum there are always people around that will help out by explaining things :) Thanks again :sunsmile:

#37 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Wouldn't DirecTV be getting the digital feed from CW already and downrezing it since (I assume) they've stopped broadcasting their analog signal??

They may be getting it via a fiber link. I know it can not be picked up at the LRF here in Teays Valley. At least not with my antenna and my antenna sits higher than the ones on the tower at the LRF. Now they are yagi's which might help them zero in better than my 4228, but it is listed as fringe and has a booster.

#38 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

I just found CBS (WOWK 13) by going to the Tennis Channel (217) and finding the schedule for mens play which begins today and locked the channel to my quick guide. Hope this helps.

#39 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Got it. Thanks. Hope to be able to get 11 tomorrow.

#40 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone :sunsmile: I went to the scoreguide and went to the Nascar Listing. They have a race coming up so they had the channels that the race is going to be on. And sure enough it said ABC HD I clicked on that and then did the save like the HerdFan had posted about. Wow HD already!!!!!!!!!!! What a great Forum this is and how smart and helpful everyone is :sunsmile: I hope D* doesn't mind that we are cheating a little here :lol:

spam firewall