Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huntington/Charleston WV HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

Glad you got it.

Next up, CBS should be listed for the tennis. But with the rain delays, you never know. I was able to get it this afternoon before they removed the tennis. FOX might be available tomorrow morning for the Atlanta/St. Louis baseball game. I say might because even though this is the main game, these are semi-regional games similar to football which has not had the local listings.

NBC probably won't be available until at least Tuesday if/when college football resets. They have a national feed of the MSU/HD game on Saturday. I don't know when they do a CF update. They may do one for the entire week, or they may do it daily for the weeknight games.

For the little bit I watched last night, once WSAZ got their HD feed back up, they looked as good as OTA. I will give them a better look tomorrow night for the NASCAR race as ABC OTA is my worst feed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have ABCHD and NBCHD now. I missed CBSHD because when the Tennis went off it is now no longer on the Scoreguide. I'm sorry I don't remember where on the Scoreguide I went to get the NBCHD, but it is on there. As far as I'm concerned they look like D* could drop the test and give us our Locals now, but I know that isn't the way D* does things.

#43 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

you can get NBC by going into scoreguide and clicking "channel info" under NFL Bears Packers Sun 8:20p.

#44 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:58 AM

Unfortunatly, the "scoreguide" feature does not list regionalized network games, meaning all of the Fox Saturday baseball and Sunday football games just list "check local listings" or the "the ST channel number". The next actual "national" event on Fox will be the AL Playoffs, which should be long after the launch. So there is no way to capture WVAH.

#45 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Unfortunatly, the "scoreguide" feature does not list regionalized network games, meaning all of the Fox Saturday baseball and Sunday football games just list "check local listings" or the "the ST channel number". The next actual "national" event on Fox will be the AL Playoffs, which should be long after the launch. So there is no way to capture WVAH.

I agree, there has to be a national event in order to "capture" the channel.
Also this only seems to work on HDDVR's.
"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#46 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

I agree, there has to be a national event in order to "capture" the channel.
Also this only seems to work on HDDVR's.

Yeah... WIth my H20-100 receiver in the bedroom it shows the local HD test channel for just a couple of seconds and then jumps back to whatever channel I did the scoreguide on. Oh well.. It works fine on my HR20-700.

#47 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

I have noticed that on these Test channels, that you can't use Doubleplay or Previous Channel.

#48 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

I have noticed that on these Test channels, that you can't use Doubleplay or Previous Channel.

Also to record anything you must be on the test channel and stay on it.

#49 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Yeah... WIth my H20-100 receiver in the bedroom it shows the local HD test channel for just a couple of seconds and then jumps back to whatever channel I did the scoreguide on. Oh well.. It works fine on my HR20-700.

Same here

Also to record you must stay on channel.

#50 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

When I tried to DP *8, it would not let me. But when I tried to change to 8-1, a box popped up asking me which channel in DP I wanted to cancel and *8 was one of them. Odd.

I didn't know you had to stay there to record something.

#51 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Has anyone noticed that the audio on WOWK 13 is only 2 channel even when 5.1
is the norm. on HD broadcasts. This occures OTA also.
Herdfan, maybe you could get us an answer to this through your contact.

#52 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I think I know the answer. They are cheap! They were the last in the market to go HD and did so kicking a screaming. If it costs a dime more to do 5.1, then they are going to stick to 2.0 as long as they can get away with it. :(

#53 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

I think I know the answer. They are cheap! They were the last in the market to go HD and did so kicking a screaming. If it costs a dime more to do 5.1, then they are going to stick to 2.0 as long as they can get away with it. :(

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

you guys should check out the avs forum. there is a Charleston/Huntington thread that is over 120 pages long and has been going strong since 2003. several of us were sending emails on a daily basis to Bray Cary (CEO WV Media; WOWK) wondering why they were 3 years behind in broadcasting HD. i can only assume it will now take them another 3 years to get the 5.1 equipment...

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=286172

#54 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Great answer, if they get rid of Jack Kane and Sandra Cole maybe they could come up with the extra cash.

#55 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:01 AM

ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

Yes.

In this market, WSAZ (NBC) is the market leader because it is willing to spend slightly more than the minimum. Back as far as you care to go WSAZ has been the first one with whatever technology was new at that time. And it actually covers the entire three-state market in news and sports. Recently purchased by Gray it seems to be continuing down that path. And it has been rewarded with a local news rating that has never been less than TWICE the other two channels COMBINED.

WCHS (ABC) and WVAH (Fox) are, illegally, co-owned by Sinclair. Is there a worse TV owning chain than Sinclair? Just do the minimum and feed the network. Grade Z syndication. Minimum effort local news. I really feel bad for people in Ohio or Kentucky who are stuck with WCHS, which will carry a meaningless game from WVU's woeful conference over, not even involving WVU, over Ohio State or other valid programming. In news, its coverage area is who killed who in the bad neighborhoods of Charleston, and in sports, WVU, WVU, WVU, and then some mention of WVU.

Then comes Bray's WOWK (CBS). BC had this bad idea to put together a chain of the WV markets. Which is this market and the tiny Beckley-Bluefield-Oak Hilll, and Clarksburg market (technically Wheeling is a market, but it only has two stations and everybody get Pittsburgh TV and Parkersburg has one station). Eastern WV gets TV from DC. So he overpays by two to three times for the lowest rated stations in each town. The owners saw him coming and could not believe what they were getting. He hacked the budget to pay for it and does news that has to be watched to understand how bad it is. But its all centrally controled. People in Huntington watching some 20 year old in Weirton talking about the town getting a new cop car. MEMO: WE DON'T CARE, and the 40% of the market that is in KY or OH certainly does not care.

BTW, my software updated overnight and now the "test" channels are bannered with the HD versions of the network logos. Go ahead and launch this. It works.

#56 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

I also noticed the new logo's this morning. Getting closer aren't we?

#57 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

I'm lucky enough to get these OTA but since I live in another market...and a market that will probably NEVER be carried by either of the satellite providers, it's my only hope at the moment.

I'm also constantly amazed by the venom for WCHS and WVAH...simply amazed.

#58 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Yes.

In this market, WSAZ (NBC) is the market leader because it is willing to spend slightly more than the minimum. Back as far as you care to go WSAZ has been the first one with whatever technology was new at that time. And it actually covers the entire three-state market in news and sports. Recently purchased by Gray it seems to be continuing down that path. And it has been rewarded with a local news rating that has never been less than TWICE the other two channels COMBINED.

WCHS (ABC) and WVAH (Fox) are, illegally, co-owned by Sinclair. Is there a worse TV owning chain than Sinclair? Just do the minimum and feed the network. Grade Z syndication. Minimum effort local news. I really feel bad for people in Ohio or Kentucky who are stuck with WCHS, which will carry a meaningless game from WVU's woeful conference over, not even involving WVU, over Ohio State or other valid programming. In news, its coverage area is who killed who in the bad neighborhoods of Charleston, and in sports, WVU, WVU, WVU, and then some mention of WVU.

Then comes Bray's WOWK (CBS). BC had this bad idea to put together a chain of the WV markets. Which is this market and the tiny Beckley-Bluefield-Oak Hilll, and Clarksburg market (technically Wheeling is a market, but it only has two stations and everybody get Pittsburgh TV and Parkersburg has one station). Eastern WV gets TV from DC. So he overpays by two to three times for the lowest rated stations in each town. The owners saw him coming and could not believe what they were getting. He hacked the budget to pay for it and does news that has to be watched to understand how bad it is. But its all centrally controled. People in Huntington watching some 20 year old in Weirton talking about the town getting a new cop car. MEMO: WE DON'T CARE, and the 40% of the market that is in KY or OH certainly does not care.

BTW, my software updated overnight and now the "test" channels are bannered with the HD versions of the network logos. Go ahead and launch this. It works.

Wish Gray would spend some of that money on WTAP.Enough through the station's newscasts pull in revenue almost as large as WSAZ's news operation,there PQ and news coverage is awful. Its news broadcasts have more viewers then medium to large markets in the country that must share their audience with up to three other affiliates.As is rated the most viewed NBC affiliate,per population.

#59 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I also noticed the new logo's this morning. Getting closer aren't we?

Yes we are :sunsmile: But isn't it funny how so many of us MYSELF INCLUDED ( I put that in caps because I don't want anyone to think I'm just picking on them) want D* to go ahead and Launch the HD Locals when we already have ABC, NBC, and CBS HD Locals :lol: O.K. we got them from some good information in this Forum, but we do already have them :D This Forum is just so great because of the information here I got to see several things on our Local channels in beautiful HD that I wouldn't have been able to get if I wasn't a member of this Forum. Thanks again :goodjob:

#60 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Relevant to Parkersburg, the smart play for years has been to make WTAP a repeater of WSAZ.

Background. The microscopic Parkersburg market, DMA # 193, consists of only 3 counties. Wood and Pleasants in WV and Washington in Ohio, and only one station, WTAP, historicly affiliated with NBC (ATSC sidebands have somewhat changed the situation throughout micromarkets, including this one).

The intension in the early days of TV was for Parkersburg to join with Clarksburg's two original stations to form a single market, but the weak UHF signal never worked in the mountains and the situation on the ground ended up being what it is.

As in most of Appalachia, EVERYBODY has cable or DBS and the market maps do not reflect what stations people have actually been getting all these years. People get all the networks in various ways.

So Huntington-Charleston is DMA # 65, 479K househoulds. If Grey did the same thing with WTAP as it does with its LP Charleston repeater (WSAZ has a low power repeater in Charleston carrying the same programming, except it does a seperate newscast of only Charleston events), it would move Huntington-Charleston to DMA # 59. To national buyers of local time, the DMA size is all that matters.

Really, the amateurish B-B-OH and Clarksburg markets could be subsumed into the primary one without anyone objecting creating a situation similar to New Mexico, Alaska or Utah, with the DMA size advancing into the low 50s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...