Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huntington/Charleston WV HD Locals

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Could you tell us from your menu what your receiver settings are and also what model TV you have. Are you using HDMI cable or component cables. Just trying to help figure it out with you.

Thanks everyone :sunsmile: I just had to get to a true HD program. I turned on The View on Channel 8 which is a true HD program and I have a full beautiful HD picture :sunsmile: I just didn't understand how all this was going to work on the Local Channels. But again the posters on this Forum came up with the answers :sunsmile:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Brit_in_WV

Brit_in_WV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone :sunsmile: I just had to get to a true HD program. I turned on The View on Channel 8 which is a true HD program and I have a full beautiful HD picture :sunsmile: I just didn't understand how all this was going to work on the Local Channels. But again the posters on this Forum came up with the answers :sunsmile:

That's great Dolly, now sit back and enjoy.:)
"Je ne suis pas assez jeune pour tout savoir"

#103 OFFLINE   dddeeds

dddeeds

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

So these Huntington locals in HD are in MPEG4 and therefore save space vs. MPEG2 from OTA?

#104 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

So these Huntington locals in HD are in MPEG4 and therefore save space vs. MPEG2 from OTA?

Yes they take up less space on the hard drive. Between the new compression and CODEC's, somewhere around 50% less.

#105 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Just remember cats...

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll only see Network programming in actual High Definition. I don't think anyone is broadcasting syndication in HD at this point...at least I know we aren't.

Also...not ALL Prime Time/Network programming is in HD...some of the reality/unscripted offerings are still 4:3.

#106 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Anyone know which satellite/transponder we are on?

#107 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

i saw on another page where our local hd's are on the 99 sat trans 1 & 5.... & i have a question about that... 99c im getting mid 95's & high 80's when i go to 99s trans 1 & 5 im getting 61 on 1 & 84 on 5 anyone else want to post there signals on this matter???????

#108 OFFLINE   WVUMike1977

WVUMike1977

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

I was referred to this website by a helpful reader when I first tried to get some information on the HD locals for the Charleston-Huntington WV area earlier this month. By following the helpful information published here, I was able to make the necessary changes to my receiver this evening to get my locals in HD. I'm very grateful to those of you who post here, for your information. No message of any kind from DirecTV, of course; I would no doubt be on the phone for hours with confused service reps were it not for this forum. Again, many thanks!

#109 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:50 AM

CW - Remember WQCW transmitter is located in West Portsmouth, Ohio. WQCW (then known as WHCP) did not even show up in the SD locals for over a year after that launch. I do not think that there is anybody who can receive WQCW on an OTA basis and any other channel. (WQCW has two analog repeaters in Huntington and Charleston). I think that WQCW is paying for some kind of landline or microwave or something like that to the DirecTV uplink, along with the headends of the major cable systems. Any HD would only be the 10 hours per week that CW actually programs (8-10, weekdays), so another such link is probably not worth it. This is a small time operation, selling "dollar per holler" ads.

HD and not HD issues - I will use WSAZ as an example, but the other stations work the same way. WSAZ gets programming from multiple sourses. NBC, syndication, and locally produced news. WSAZ has no capacity to produce it local news in HD, so the local news will be in SD. Now WSAZ has only ONE HD receive system and it is LOCKED on NBC. Now lots of syndicated material (Regis and Kelly, Jeopardy, WOF, SEC sports, and so on) is feed in HD. But WSAZ has no capacity to receive that feed and record it for broadcast, so it receives the SD feed and shows that.

Now the TV listings are produced nationally by some company in Chicago that will list (HD) after any show that is fed in HD. It has no way of knowing. But none of these shows will actually be in HD on WSAZ. The same situation exists at WVAH, WCHS and WOWK. They only have the capacity to broadcast their respective network material in HD.

Now, as the years go forward, the stations will buy more HD receivers and more HD recorders, so they will add HD content. Also they will redo their news operations for HD. I can remember when none of the stations even had a dish. Heck, I can remember when "film @ 11" was actually film and had to be developed in downtown Huntington and run over to Radio Center by a kid on a motorcycle. Judging from history WSAZ will be the first to expand, it always has been for over 60 years, the market leader.

So it is perfectly normal that anything that is not the network time (national news, soaps, primetime, latenight) to be cropped and in SD, no matter what the guide says.

#110 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:42 AM

They only have the capacity to broadcast their respective network material in HD.

This is not technically correct.

We (WCHS/WVAH) have the capacity to broadcast any syndicated producted offered in HD as such...we actually have done so in the past. Our Master Control facility is fully HD capable.

Our problem is delivery and storage. I'm pretty sure that's actually the hold-up for the competition as well. We "pass-through" the Network High Definition Feed...no bandwidth or storage problem there. The syndication product that is provided in HD is a completely different matter. Not only does the delivery system require a HUGE amount of bandwidth but the storage requirements are equally as enormous.

News production is yet another piece of the puzzle...

Without getting into the complete details...the economy melted and things planned had to be re-evaluated for the moment.

Just wanted to make sure the information that's being offered is as accurate as possible.

#111 OFFLINE   warriorking

warriorking

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

:hurah: I'm just glad they finally went live.....I still remember the installer telling me over 3yrs ago how my locals will be available in HD in just a couple of months....:grin:

#112 OFFLINE   TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

So no MyZtv tho?

wonderful.

#113 OFFLINE   smokey99

smokey99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

So no MyZtv tho?

wonderful.

No we didn't get MyZtv or the HD version of CW. I've also noticed that on several occasions the stations fail to broadcast the programming in HD.

#114 OFFLINE   Stephens24

Stephens24

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

I would really like to know........as a Parkersburg D* Subscriber.....why we cant get AT LEAST WCHS and WOWK? Both cable providers in Parkersburg Suddenlink and CAS use WCHS and WOWK as our local affiliates. I can understand NBC and FOX since WTAP does carry those. It would be nice to save $5/month to ditch the EAST coast ABC,CBS feeds and get state news.

There has to be someone to contact on this.........What will happen when if D* ever does pick up WTAP.......where will are ABC and CBS come from? It Has to be from Chas-Hunt. It would be nice to be able to get those now.

Does anyone have any ideas or info?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...