Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Okay .. HDTV receivers??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 02:06 PM

Right now I've got some inexpensive RCA receiver (one of the $49 Wal-Mart specials from awhile ago) hooked to a standalone TiVo. (I had a Hughes receiver, but got the RCA for the serial connection between it and the SA TiVo.)

Anyone with strong opinions on the various D* HDTV receivers out on the market? I'd like something with the serial port so I could continue to use the SA TiVo to control it to record SD channels.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:49 PM

I just purchased a Sony SAT HD200 after trying two Hughes E-86s (I had trouble with both). I am very pleased with the Sony unit. It is a little pricey, but the picture quality is nearly perfect. In HD mode the picture looks as though you are looking at the scene(s) live in your home. Hope this helps you decide!

Right now I've got some inexpensive RCA receiver (one of the $49 Wal-Mart specials from awhile ago) hooked to a standalone TiVo. (I had a Hughes receiver, but got the RCA for the serial connection between it and the SA TiVo.)

Anyone with strong opinions on the various D* HDTV receivers out on the market? I'd like something with the serial port so I could continue to use the SA TiVo to control it to record SD channels.

Thanks!

#3 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 06:39 PM

I'm very happy with my Samsung SIR-TS160. It has all the features I could want for a reasonable price. I can't really see the need for paying more for some of the other brands when the Samsung does it all AND has simple controls over the outputs, including simultaneous output of DTV and NTSC signals.

#4 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:05 PM

Yes, simultaneous output (Sends out a HDTV signal AND composite) is necessary if you want to watch a program in HDTV and at least archive a low-defination version to a SA TIVO or VCR. Currently only the Samsung does that, but the upcomming Zenith 530 will also have that feature. (Along with possibly the best OTA tuner)

#5 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 01:44 PM

Last night I had a chance to look at the E86 and the Samsung (the only store that had a Sony wouldn't let me look at the back). I can understand why I'd stay away from an E86, but the Samsung struck me as surprisingly low-tech (simple sliders for picture settings? how about making this available via remote??) but with a plethora of output options.

Right now, since I don't have an HDTV-capable TV (yet), the simultaneous output would be nice, but none of these units has a serial control port, so it means going back to an IR emitter (and the inherent unreliability of those) for the SA TiVo to control it.

Also, since I avoided all the salesdroids, it looks like there is a $150 kickback from DTV on these. Is that in just activating the unit, or in getting the HD package as well? (Yeah, I know .. why am I buying an HDTV-capable receiver if I'm not getting the HD package from D*...:rolleyes:)

#6 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 08:38 AM

I wish I could offer hands-on experience with the HD units, but I've only been researching them in case I can get an insanly great deal on one. (I also do not have an HDTV but would love an integrated OTA and D* guide since I do not have LIL available, and might occasionally connect the HDTV tuner to my 21" monitor, plus getting perfect Digital OTA would be nice, so I understand what you're talking about)

I noticed that the back of the Sony HD-200 (checked D*'s website for all product manuals) has what looks like a standard serial port marked authorized service only. A search at avsforum brought up a post where a user mentioned being able to do more than just the remote commands via the serial connection to the Sony HD-200 (which is the same internals of the Zenith HD 520 box. )

I never thought the switches on the back of the Samsung were a big deal, since they only controled which HDTV cable (Component or VGA/DVI) you connected to your TV, and the HD format your TV accepts (i.e a 1080i TV and you'd leave it there, and the box would up-convert 480 and 720 formats to the 1080i)

I agree with you the importance of serial control for a SA TIVO in your circumstances. I just wanted to point out that in the future, you could run into a problem watching something like the Superbowl in HDTV, and not being able to TIVO it to review the best commercials after the game, or being able to pause a live event, etc.

D* curently has a $399 deal for a Hughes or Samsung HD receiver for existing customers (but from D* you get no choice on what you get) Some local retailers may be able to give that deal, or the savings code might allow them to give $150 on any receiver. For some experiences: http://www.avsforum....threadid=290120

It sounds like the next generation Sony / LG unit due around the end of the year (The Zenith name is getting dropped) may have all the features needed, but I do not know if the wait and price would be worth it to you.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 11:57 AM

I've had the Hughes E-86 since December last year and am very happy with it. Works great for me. You should be able to get it around $400 now or so or less.

#8 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 03:05 PM

I noticed that the back of the Sony HD-200 (checked D*'s website for all product manuals) has what looks like a standard serial port marked authorized service only. A search at avsforum brought up a post where a user mentioned being able to do more than just the remote commands via the serial connection to the Sony HD-200 (which is the same internals of the Zenith HD 520 box. )

Sorry for being dense here, but does that mean it would accept commands to change channels from the SA TiVo like my current RCA receiver does?

I never thought the switches on the back of the Samsung were a big deal, since they only controled which HDTV cable (Component or VGA/DVI) you connected to your TV, and the HD format your TV accepts (i.e a 1080i TV and you'd leave it there, and the box would up-convert 480 and 720 formats to the 1080i)

HDTV novice... It just seemed strange that for all the tech employed, someone would put slider switches to select formats. Of course, if you don't like how the box upconverts, then you're kinda SOL. It seemed like if the monitor could accept the format, you just pass it along instead of playing bit games in processing.

I agree with you the importance of serial control for a SA TIVO in your circumstances.

I've done the IR repeater thing, and it's not 100% reliable.

The primary point was to "sneak" in HDTV reception capability and allow for a TV upgrade at some point. The other half is very resistent to the idea right now. :rolleyes: But until the HD*TiVo boxes come out, this would at least give me one path. (I've got two series 1 D*TiVos, and if the 1/1 sat/ota tuner specs are true, I'll have to buy two HD*TiVo boxes to get close to the functionality I currently have.)

#9 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 09:34 AM

Sorry for being dense here, but does that mean it would accept commands to change channels from the SA TiVo like my current RCA receiver does?

Well my informal search of a TIVO forum found one member stating a SA TiVo cannot control the Sony HD-200 via serial control. (A ReplayTV FAQ noted there was different serial baud rate and commands) so the initial post I found must of been a HTPC (Home Theater PC) user that was using a PC as a PVR, and the PC could handle the different serial timings and customized commands.

It looks like your only option to control a HDTV receiver with a TiVo would be an IR-blaster.

#10 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep looking into other options.

spam firewall