Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch to Satellite Calls. Anyone else get any calls like this?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

Recently in my area. I have received calls from someone asking me to "Switch to Satellite" These calls I do not believe are for upgrading my current Satellite System. All these people are wanting me to do is switch to Satellite. Well the first 2 times i got called and was left a lengthy message on my answering machine asking me to "Switch to Satellite" I just deleted the message off my answering machine and didn't think nothing else about it. Well I got a 3rd call and after listening to the Lengthy message Once again I Jotted down the number they left and called it. I got a woman on the line and told them look. I already have a satellite system Direc TV. Will you please stop calling me. So far i've not received any calls. I live in Northeastern, Mississippi by the way. My question is has anyone else that visits this site gotten any messages on there answering machines like this?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

Some dealer out of New Mexico has been telemarketing DISH Network products. This is in violation of their contract as a DISH Retailer. They have been doing this since the new dealer contracts went into affect in January, I guess they are selling so many that DISH is ignoring their contract violations.

#3 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:32 PM

Never got any calls here.
Do you DVR?

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 August 2003 - 04:36 PM

Not likely. The sign-in application doesn't have room for a phone number.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   D Plantz

D Plantz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:28 PM

I had many of these swich to sat calls myself. All seemed to be from the same company selling DishNetwork. I have had Directv for almost 2 years. I am not going back to cable anytime soon. I finnaly called them and told them to stop calling me and that was the last time they called me. It wasgetting annoying 2-3 times a week. Selling Sat Tv by calling people is dumb. Most of the people they seem to call already have Dish or Directv.

#6 OFFLINE   Strong

Strong

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:12 PM

I don't agree that selling satellite by phone is "dumb". The company I install for does about 200 installs a day and they are almost all from telemarketing. I know very little about it, but I know they have some sort of automated system. There may be some filtering of the phone numbers, but I suppose its minimal. I can't imagine that they get a complete customer list from D*/E* and filter out the numbers of existing customers.

I'm surprised by the post about Dish telemarketing being a contract violation. I install D* and I've never heard about anything like that.

Frustrating, annoying, bothersome (to the folks called) yes. But it must be a good business decision cause some folks respond positively. In that regards, its just like spam, a small positive response is all it takes to be a successful business.

#7 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:50 PM

I get these once or twice a month, usually from the same company every time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...