Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Derek Jeter passes Lou Gehrig

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

WOW!!! What an accomplishment. Derek Jeter stands alone in Yankee history. Congratulations to a classy person and ball player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the spoiler for those that might have been recording the game.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,526 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

WOW!!! What an accomplishment. Derek Jeter stands alone in Yankee history. Congratulations to a classy person and ball player.

Since the cat's out of the bag... I agree! :)

He's a leader who has always been respectful of the game, his teammates and his opponents, and he gives 110% every second he's out on the field. He never puts up huge numbers, so it's nice he's able to at least get the spotlight shone on him for passing Gehrig.

IMHO, he's as classy as that other guy who broke a Gehrig record.... what was his name? :)
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the spoiler for those that might have been recording the game.

Yeah, it was a crap shoot whether he'd ever get it. Jeez.

#5 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

What gets me is that I would have naturally thought Joe DiMaggio would have been the Yankee Hit King. After all, Gherig's career was cut short - who knows how many more than 2721 he would have had.. But I was surprised, after looking it up, to see DiMaggio "only" played 13 years (2214 hits), and retired at age 36. Of course he lost the 1942-45 seasons due to WWII. Based on his 'average' season, that could be as many as 600 hits he missed out on.

Either way, it's still an accomplishment. Checking some other 'team' hit records.. Braves - Hank Aaron 3600, Orioles - Cal Ripken 3184, Red Sox - Carl Yastrzemski 3419, Cubs - Cap Anson 2995, White Sox - Luke Appling 2749, Reds - Pete Rose 3358, Tigers - Ty Cobb 3900, Astros - Craig Biggio 3060, Royals - George Brett 3154, Dodgers - Zack Wheat 2804, Brewers - Robin Yount 3184, Twins - Sam Rice 2889, Pirates - Roberto Clemente 3000, Padres - Tony Gwynn 3141, Giants - Willie Mays 3187, Cardinals - Stan Musial 3630

...and the Mets hit leader is Ed Kranepool at 1418? Carl Crawford of the RAYS is already at 1274!

I wouldn't want to detract from the incredible career that Jeter is having - definitely Hall-worthy - and I'm a Red Sox fan saying that. But on XM, there's been a lot of backlash against the hype of the "Yankee Hit Record" as if it were the same as passing Gherig's consecutive-games streak. It REALLY surprised me to see the Astros in the list of teams who's "Hit Record Holder" is above the Yankees.

#6 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

I wouldn't want to detract from the incredible career that Jeter is having - definitely Hall-worthy - and I'm a Red Sox fan saying that. But on XM, there's been a lot of backlash against the hype of the "Yankee Hit Record" as if it were the same as passing Gherig's consecutive-games streak. It REALLY surprised me to see the Astros in the list of teams who's "Hit Record Holder" is above the Yankees.

There are those who contend that it's really just an excuse to celebrate Jeter as a Yankee. Headed into this Season, would you have guessed Lou Gehrig was the all-time Yankee hits leader? If so, would you have known the amount? I'm a baseball fan, but that's not the number I associate with Gehrig.

Fact is with Jeter you have a player who transcends stats. Defining him by his stats so would be a disservice to him as player because Jeter's best defined by moments, especially on the big stage. Comparing stats A-Rod dwarfs him, but we know that the flip side is A-Rod has had problems on the big stage since donning pin stripes.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, it was a crap shoot whether he'd ever get it. Jeez.

Clearly the point has eluded you.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

Congrats Derek!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall