Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 Off air tuner Geting good signal but

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrJR

jrJR

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

I Have the am21 off air tuner connected to my direct tv HR700 Hd box and one channel 5.1 I got fined tuned to 70% signal strength but then I try and tune to the channel and it says searching for signal... I'm thinking the issue might be with the off air tuner but then the problem I think would happen with other channels..

Many thoughts as to what the problem is but not really quite sure.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

did it ever get this channel? off the top of my head I would think the database is not reflecting the correct info for this channel.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   jrJR

jrJR

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yeah it gets this channel off and on....I just reset off air settings again and it is coming in fine now I just hope it does not dissaper again with the signal meter saying all is fine but unable to tune in the chanel....

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

checking\replacing usb cable is simple, might be worth doing.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   jrJR

jrJR

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

I have been considering replacing the usb cable will do if i loose it again...

Thanks

#6 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

I suspect this is a multipath problem with the signal. If you are getting multipath it's quite common to get a searching for signal even with what looks like a decent signal strength. What type of antenna are you using?

#7 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

The first ting i would do to troubleshoot a problem like this is remove the cable coming from the antenna and hook it to your tv.Scan for channels and see how it preforms.

#8 OFFLINE   jrJR

jrJR

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Multipath may of very likely been the issue...

I was getting a 70% percent signal but the signal was jumping from 50 to 70 so I knew even if I had a picture it would of most likely been unwatchable...

The antenna I am using is http://www.amazon.co...2851639&sr=8-15

Its the only store antenna I can find that has good performing rabbit ears...My town (medford Or) Has one UHF station and the rest VHF however you go to the store to buy a indoor antenna and its full of UHF antennas you would think they would stalk the store more in line with the signals in the area.....

I attached photos of my working but ugly set up it took way to long to fine tune this so that all stations come in without issues

Attached Thumbnails

• kids ant sept 13 016.jpg
  • kids ant sept 13 017.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

Have you tried the antenna with a different ATSC tuner? It could be that the performance of the antenna itself is unstable.

It may also be producing a signal that is too strong.

spam firewall