Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broadband Stimulus Bringing Malone, Ergen Together

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

I don't know how I missed this. I picked this up on The Evening Bridge:

You won't believe which two media moguls are joining forces in a bid to secure a piece of the federal government's $7.2 billion broadband stimulus package.

Companies backed by EchoStar's Charlie Ergen and Liberty Media's John Malone have reportedly teamed up on a plan to secure $530 million for a 10 Mbps satellite broadband project under the name of EchoBlueRural Broadband LLC. The joint venture involves Ergen's EchoStar Corp. and WildBlue Communications, in which Malone holds a controlling interest. The application, which included a request for $130 million in grants and a $400 million low-interest loan, was reportedly the largest broadband stimulus application to come out of the state of Colorado, where both Ergen and Malone are based.

There is more information in the Denver Business Journal. Some of it looks like they are together and separately fishing for federal funds. But it's interesting.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

I know a number of people living in the "country" just outside of the urban/suburban areas around here that have no real high-speed internet options. As more and more of the economy is internet-based, it's important we bring everyone along for the ride.

It's ironic that satellite companies have been forced by regulation to offer more and more services to small/rural markets and standardized pricing when cable and fiber companies have been allowed to cherry-pick where they offer service and what prices they charge.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

Blah, politics. I had satellite internet for almost 2 years with Wildblue. The service was horrible... half because poor management and half because of how satellites work (lag time, weather loss, etc.)

When I realized we could get 3G on the fringe with an outdoor antenna, I jumped on that. $10 more/month but OMG, oh how so much better.

First, they shouldn't be taking my tax money. Two, since none of us have a choice, I would rather them spend those millions and billions on something that is more reliable, better speed, etc. etc. Satellite internet has always been and always will be obsolete. Cellular companies are competitive enough to fill in the gaps. By the time they got a satellite service up/running, you're choice will be 4G (or next gen? 5G)... If you're out in the boonies, you'll just have to settle for 1.5Mb 3G (oh darn) as opposed to 512-1000K on a good day satellite.

How many cell towers could be upgraded with the necessary equipment with the amount of $ it takes to launch some sats into space?...and then you lose the sat and FLUSH!! (A failed sat?, or a failed antenna on a cell tower... You tell me which is more?)

Go USA government. Gah, if it weren't for wasteful spending, there wouldn't be all these problems. :nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

LOL... After reading the report again, I thought why don't they just call it a bailout? :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

I hear your points in support of a cell tower solution to rural internet access. However, there are large areas of the country that don't get reliable cell service. I lived in eastern Oregon where we could only get "basic" cell service at our house, and even that was marginal. There was only one provider selling any data services and it cost an arm and a leg... Just as you noted with cable companies, the cell companies cherry pick as well. You must be in some developed area to be able to get cheap data service through your cell phone.

. Satellite internet has always been and always will be obsolete. Cellular companies are competitive enough to fill in the gaps. By the time they got a satellite service up/running, you're choice will be 4G (or next gen? 5G)... If you're out in the boonies, you'll just have to settle for 1.5Mb 3G (oh darn) as opposed to 512-1000K on a good day satellite.

How many cell towers could be upgraded with the necessary equipment with the amount of $ it takes to launch some sats into space?...and then you lose the sat and FLUSH!! (A failed sat?, or a failed antenna on a cell tower... You tell me which is more?)

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...