Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Double Play - Keep active or turn off every 2 hours?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Re-activate Double Play every 2 hours or leave on 24/7? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Re-activate Double Play every 2 hours or leave on 24/7?

1. Yes, keep Double Play active 24/7 (when a tuner is not needed for a recording) (101 votes [67.79%])

Percentage of vote: 67.79%

2. No, turn off Double Play when not used after 2 hours (must re-activate after 2 hrs.) (42 votes [28.19%])

Percentage of vote: 28.19%

3. Huh? What's Double Play? (6 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

This one has been bugging me...having to turn Double Play back on every 2 hours if not in use. Sometimes I have the other tuner on a channel I will be monitoring a few hours from now so I don't forget, like when 2 games will be happening at the same time. If I forget, in 3 hours I flip over and the thing wasn't buffering.

Would you like to see Double Play continue 24/7 (when a recording is NOT occurring) or turn off after 2 hours of non-use?

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 15 September 2009 - 07:16 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   vfviola

vfviola

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

This one has been bugging me...having to turn Double Play back on every 2 hours if not in use. Sometimes I have the other tuner on a channel I will be monitoring a few hours from now so I don't forget, like when 2 games will be happening at the same time. If I forget, in 3 hours I flip over and the thing wasn't buffering.

Would you like to see Double Play continue 24/7 (when a recording is NOT occurring) or turn off after 2 hours of non-use?

I have not received the update yet in TN, but I am used to the old TIVO days that did not need to activated. I am very thankful that we have made it this far, but yes I would love to see it operate like the TIVO based systems. I myself sometimes leave the other tuner without checking regularly. A change would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 15 September 2009 - 07:16 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I honestly don't care. When I had the Tivo and utilized it it was because I had two things going at once. I would pause one, switch tuners to check the other, then pause it and go back to the first tuner. If I had something that I wasn't going to "check in on" within the 2 hour window then I'd just record it and wouldn't worry about losing the buffer.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I don't understand the point of the poll.

Of course everyone would rather have it be continuous, why wouldn't you?

But it's not going to change. The 2 hour limit is there for a reason (whatever it may be) and that's it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

:beatdeadhorse:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Does everyone realize that once activated DP will stay active beyond two hours as long as you're using the remote; even if you don't swap tuners.

If you're watching TV for ten hours DP will stay active that whole time (assuming you activated it to begin with).

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I would say I like it the way it is.

#8 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

Does everyone realize that once activated DP will stay active beyond two hours as long as you're using the remote; even if you don't swap tuners.

Mike

I assumed it would work as long as a tuner is switched within the 2 hour timeframe but your saying even on one tuner for the whole 2 hour period any remote action will keep it active? What's the big deal then? Surely within that amount of time you'd check the guide or something.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

I assumed it would work as long as a tuner is switched within the 2 hour timeframe but your saying even on one tuner for the whole 2 hour period any remote action will keep it active? What's the big deal then? Surely within that amount of time you'd check the guide or something.

Yes. As long you are actively using the receiver it will remain active. It’s only after they receiver is inactive for two hours that DP deactivates.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Exactly the reason I say leave it. If you activated DP your probably not going to stay on one tuner the whole time. Every time you switch it keeps staying active. Think people are under the impression that DP turns itself off after 2 hours regardless.

#11 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Think people are under the impression that DP turns itself off after 2 hours regardless.

Right that maybe part of the confusion. Of course any action would extend that 2 hour period from the latest action. If it was a 2 hour activation period and only a 2 hour activation then I could see why people would be upset. But I gather that 2 hour window is extended from the latest point. As I said earlier if you're not going to switch tuners (or now I've found out even touch the remote) within a 2 timeframe why the heck would you even be using DLB and not just recording the other program. Obviously it's something you're not interested in at the moment.

#12 OFFLINE   Anaisa

Anaisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

I would say I like it the way it is.

+1

Reliable two hours is better than unreliable

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

Of course any action would extend that 2 hour period from the latest action.

Yesterday I was using DP for a couple of early football games. I stopped using it at around 3PM. At about 9PM last night, forgetting I had been using DP earlier, I went to activate it again and it was already active and the second tuner still had an intact buffer.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Right that maybe part of the confusion. Of course any action would extend that 2 hour period from the latest action. If it was a 2 hour activation period and only a 2 hour activation then I could see why people would be upset. But I gather that 2 hour window is extended from the latest point. As I said earlier if you're not going to switch tuners (or now I've found out even touch the remote) within a 2 timeframe why the heck would you even be using DLB and not just recording the other program. Obviously it's something you're not interested in at the moment.

I think the confusion comes in during activation. In the pop up once you activate it Directv gives you the timeout rule but doesn't say that the rule is void as long as you use DP. What Directv may want to do is send one of those TVmail messages with the Directv Guy and give a little tutorial as they do with the How to stuff they run on channel 201. Might help alot of people figure this out especially those that dont use this board. Also, Tivo users I think are used to the no timeout version and may be expecting the exact same product.

#15 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

Yesterday I was using DP for a couple of early football games. I stopped using it at around 3PM. At about 9PM last night, forgetting I had been using DP earlier, I went to activate it again and it was already active and the second tuner still had an intact buffer.

Had the same experience. I was watching the Dolphins game and then left the house. When i came back well past the timeout portion DP was still running.

#16 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

If you're watching TV for ten hours DP will stay active that whole time (assuming you activated it to begin with).

Exactly!

I spent the whole day yesterday watching Sunday Ticket and DP was there for me all that time.

I didn't vote because option #2 is incorrectly worded. But if it meant "No, leave it as is," then that's what I would have voted for.

People are also forgetting that, when the situation arises, the second tuner will change channels and start a new buffer to record a show. Granted, if DP is in use, it will ask you if you want to record and stop DP, or cancel the recording and continue DP.

#17 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:04 AM

this was argued and beat to death in other forums. and it was argued with passion :)
it is what it is now.....
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#18 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

I have not received the update yet in TN, but I am used to the old TIVO days that did not need to activated. I am very thankful that we have made it this far, but yes I would love to see it operate like the TIVO based systems. I myself sometimes leave the other tuner without checking regularly. A change would be greatly appreciated!

You might want to wait until you get DP, and actually use it, before making any judgments about how DP functions. :)
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#19 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Also, Tivo users I think are used to the no timeout version and may be expecting the exact same product.

Obviously DP is a work-around the Tivo patent, which I still like better. However DP is still better than no DP.

#20 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

I don't understand the point of the poll.

Of course everyone would rather have it be continuous, why wouldn't you?

I rather have it 24/7 but they way it is now is fine. Im always using the remote any way so double play is pretty continuous when Im watching tv

JACK,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...