Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new to OTA and have questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

My question is, when does the guide information start populating for my OTA channels? Or does it ever list such info? All the guide lists is "Digital Service" for all ota's, though it does list the correct channel/subchannel names or call letters. Yes, I do subscribe to the Los Angeles DMA locals package.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Should take anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. Sometimes the nightly download will trigger the listings.

#3 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

ok thanks
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:41 PM

Have you tried doing a check switch. If not, might want to try that.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   dishdude19

dishdude19

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

I am new to Dish Network HD, and I want to connect an antenna to my box. However, before I can even do it, do I need to purchase an additional part? I don't see an antenna input on the back of the box. Thanks for the help!

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

dishdude -> Need to know what receiver you have, not all Dish receivers have an antenna input for OTA channels.

For the OP -> Do you subscribe to HD LiLs through Dish? If you don't, then you aren't going to ever get OTA EPG data in the guide.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   dishdude19

dishdude19

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, Stewart. I have a 722vp HDTV receiver. In the menu, I have the option to scan for locals; I just couldn't find the antenna input.

No, I can't LiL HDTV because trees block my ability (according to the installer) to receive local HDTV. Thus, I put up a 20ft. outdoor antenna. I'm in Tallahasse, FL FYI.

Thanks again.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

The antenna input is on the back of the receiver really close to where the UHF remote antenna port is. It should be marked/labeled for antenna use.

The only other thing will be to make sure the "Analog" setting is on "offair" and then you can scan the channels and see what you get.

#9 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Some OTA channels never send guide data to Dish. Unfortunately, Dish does not get it from the OTA stream. It relies on the channel provider to send it to the labyrinth of data providers where any one of them can drop the ball leaving you with no guide data, and every vendor along the way poi9nting the finger at the others! :-(

I have 4 or 5 sub-channels which still have "digital service" in them, and likely always will. I have written emails to the base channels locally to complain and it took a few months and some followups on my part, but the data finally showed up for them. Not worth it to me to get all the sub channels working as fast as they change them.

In the end, the only place in this picture that cares about you personally is your local TV station. Use their leverage to get the guide data there. Sometimes they won't care either! :(
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#10 OFFLINE   dishdude19

dishdude19

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks, Stewart & Jeff, for the response. I was so afraid that some models of my receiver might require me to install equipment to get my locals via off air antenna. I will look again near the UHF remote area.
Thanks again... Happy Thanksgiving!

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

You're welcome... FYI, assuming you have a 722 you should find it just fine... BUT if you actually have a 722K receiver, then the OTA module is optional and you won't find it unless/until you add the optional expansion module.

spam firewall