Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Drive with replacement DVR & old Access Card

vip211k

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   soundone

soundone

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

My older dvr took a dump and I want to see if dtv will allow me to use the old access card in the new replacement receiver. If so, does anyone know if this will allow me to view the shows on my external drive?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

No to both questions. DirecTV generally doesn't allow you to move an access card from one Receiver to another. They'll send you a new one for ~$20. And even if you could move the access card, it wouldn't help you view those recordings anyway.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:00 AM

And the new replacement comes with a new access card anyway unless you replaced it with a used model outside of the regular channels.

#4 ONLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:16 AM

This is the biggest problem with the external drive implementation.
There should be no reason why you can't use your external drive on a replacement DVR.
Or even moving it to another DVR on the same account.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall