Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does HR22-100 support HDMI 1.3?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

I haven't found any threads that say yay or nay... anybody?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

It does not support any HDMI 1.3-specific features.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

All of the DirecTV HD equipment uses HDMI standard 1.1a.

There's nothing to prevent any HD DirecTV Receiver or DVR from working properly over HDMI, regardless of the HDTV or AV Receiver's HDMI version. Of course, that's not to say that some devices do have compatibility issues. That seems to be the nature of HDMI in general.

Why do you ask?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

i would like to get a new receiver; one that supports Auto Lip Sync which is an HDMI 1.3 specification. However it's pointless if the HR22 doesn't support it as well, as both sides of the fence must in order for it to work.

Since getting one of the faster LED TVs, lip sync from my HR22 to my TV & receiver is ridiculously horrible.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

i would like to get a new receiver; one that supports Auto Lip Sync which is an HDMI 1.3 specification. However it's pointless if the HR22 doesn't support it as well, as both sides of the fence must in order for it to work.

Since getting one of the faster LED TVs, lip sync from my HR22 to my TV & receiver is ridiculously horrible.

How is your HDMI connected? Straight to the TV or through a receiver? You mention wanting a new receiver, so maybe that's the reason for lip sync? Is it all channels?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

How is your HDMI connected? Straight to the TV or through a receiver? You mention wanting a new receiver, so maybe that's the reason for lip sync? Is it all channels?

DVR HDMI -> TV
DVR Optical out -> Receiver

My receiver is audio-only, that's the reason for this method. The receiver isn't the problem as the previous TV I had, a Sharp AQUOS 60Hz LCD, had no issues (was used in the exact same way). I have since replaced it with a Samsung 120Hz LED which obviously has faster performance than the now 3-year old Sharp. This is what i believe has coaxed out the lip sync.

It is not all channels, and is worse on some more than others - this is something i've been told is a distinct possibility due to the way Satellite broadcasts their feeds (taking the comments at face value there) and seems to be factual given what I'm seeing.

Audio receivers are obviously cheaper than A/V ones, esp A/V ones supporting 1080p HDMI - so I would, of course, like to avoid having to purchase one if I can. But I'm all but resigned to the fact that I must.

Edited by bc3tech, 16 September 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,590 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

I haven't had ANY lip synch issues in several months now. I thought that DirecTV and the networks had pretty much solved these problem.

Of course, you may still have synch issues if you're routing the audio and video signals to different devices. For example, if your video connects directly to the HDTV while your audio connects through your AV Surround Receiver. Some AV Receivers provide "time offset" features to compensate for these timing difference. HDMI 1.3 won't address that sort of issue.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

I haven't had ANY lip synch issues in several months now. I thought that DirecTV and the networks had pretty much solved these problem.

this was my first inkling as well; So i called both my local CBS affiliate (the channel i am annoyed by the most due to a combination of most-watched and noticible offset), and DTV. Both stated they were aware of no issues.

Of course, you may still have synch issues if you're routing the audio and video signals to different devices. For example, if your video connects directly to the HDTV while your audio connects through your AV Surround Receiver.

understood.

Some AV Receivers provide "time offset" features to compensate for these timing difference.

also understood, however such receivers are significantly more expensive than what I have now ;)

HDMI 1.3 won't address that sort of issue.

wrong.

from http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=789996

HDMI 1.3 allows for compatible HDMI 1.3 receivers and displays to automatically sync the sound and picture.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

Since your HDMI goes to the TV, is lip sync present through the TVs audio (taking the receiver out of the equation)?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Since your HDMI goes to the TV, is lip sync present through the TVs audio (taking the receiver out of the equation)?

no. that is the primary way to verify that you DON'T have lip sync issues. when i do that i get a distinct "echo"

the alternative would be a firmware update to the DTV DVR allowing customizability or an algorithm to optimize this, as the separate outputs from the DVR could just as easily be to blame as the technology of TVs has improved.

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

You are misunderstanding the purpose of the lip sync feature on HDMI 1.3. Eevn if the DirecTV box had HDMI 1.3 it would not help you. The lip sync feature allows a TV to tell an A/V receiver how much delay to give the audio in order to compensate for the TV's internal processing. The satellite or cable box is not involved in this at all. Getting a new TV has not changed the audio relationship between the HR22 and the A/V receiver at all. What it has done is change the video processing time in the TV. You would need an A/V receiver that supported the HDMI 1.3 lip sync - or at least an A/V receiver with an audio delay setting - to compensate for this. Nothing to do with the HR22.

#12 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

You are misunderstanding the purpose of the lip sync feature on HDMI 1.3. Eevn if the DirecTV box had HDMI 1.3 it would not help you. The lip sync feature allows a TV to tell an A/V receiver how much delay to give the audio in order to compensate for the TV's internal processing. The satellite or cable box is not involved in this at all. Getting a new TV has not changed the audio relationship between the HR22 and the A/V receiver at all. What it has done is change the video processing time in the TV. You would need an A/V receiver that supported the HDMI 1.3 lip sync - or at least an A/V receiver with an audio delay setting - to compensate for this. Nothing to do with the HR22.

thanks for the clarification - guess i get to continue my receiver shopping!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...