Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

UHF range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

does anyone know if its possible to pick up UHF signals from 70 miles away? If so can you recommend an antenna that would work for that range.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

does anyone know if its possible to pick up UHF signals from 70 miles away? If so can you recommend an antenna that would work for that range.

I use a Channel Master 4228 connected to a Channel Master 7777 amp and I can pull in some Cleveland (about 80 miles away) stations most of the time.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

#3 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I use a Channel Master 4228 connected to a Channel Master 7777 amp and I can pull in some Cleveland (about 80 miles away) stations most of the time.

ok thanks for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Depends on the power of the transmitter and the lay of the land between.

If the transmitter is low power, it is unlikely. If it is high power, then likely. If it is in between, you may need more elements and/or an amplifier as close to the antenna elements as possible.

If there is a mountain 10 miles away blocking view of the tower, you ain't getting it no matter how much gain you have!
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#5 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Depends on the power of the transmitter and the lay of the land between.

If the transmitter is low power, it is unlikely. If it is high power, then likely. If it is in between, you may need more elements and/or an amplifier as close to the antenna elements as possible.

If there is a mountain 10 miles away blocking view of the tower, you ain't getting it no matter how much gain you have!

Don't forget about height. Put the antenna up in the air as HIGH as you can otherwise you are just pulling in noise. My antenna is located on the balcony attached to my third floor apartment with nothing major (that I can think of) in the way between the tower farm in Parma and my antenna.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

#6 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

If the station's signal is like this one: WKBN-DT you would stand a chance. I get this one 57 miles away with an indoor antenna! I'm on high ground and their tower is very high too.

Keep in mind no antenna, no matter what it's "rated" range is, can receive a usable signal from a station that is not high enough in either tower height or power.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

There are three UHF antenna's that I am aware of, that are possibly capable of doing this IF they have any signal in your location at all. You can check WWW.TVFOOL.COM and do a MAP PLOT for the station(s) you want. If there is any signal, try one of these:

Channel Master 4228 with Channel Master 7777 preamp.
http://www.solidsign..._03_TV_Antennas

Televes DAT75 with Channel Master 7777 preamp.
http://shop.vetcosur...roducts_id=9010

Antennas Direct 91XG with Channel Master 7777 preamp.
http://www.antennasd...TV_Antenna.html

My take on the three... While they all have about the same gain, the Channel Master has been changed from the "old standby" most people that recommend them own, and some have reported the new model has some matching problems.

The Televes (which I own, as you can see in the Avatar), is Commercial quality, but being from Europe, has its peak gain on the upper UHF channels, so dont expect to use it on the high VHF band. Ive had excellent results with this one, however.

The Antennas Direct is also fairly popular, but suffers from some sagging.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

I am 65 miles from the antenna farm on Mount Wilson Los Angeles and pick up all but three or four stations that broadcast from that site. I'm using a UP-7 TV Antenna, no pre-amp and I split the signal two ways, one to a HTPC and one to the VIP-722k.

My situation is pretty much ideal however. I am line of site, no tall structures/trees nearby, no airport, etc.

#9 OFFLINE   mostec15

mostec15

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

Howdy from Puerto Rico:
As i mention before, because of a need I learned from a general license a few tricks on make some antennas. I don´t know if i can post with your request some step by step of some dipole antennas. Anyway, I´m available to help anytime. In PR we also have some problems with the mountains but as some extraterrestrial philosofer ALF say all the time: there´s more than 100 ways to peel a cat.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...