Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV2PC v5717 - Issues & Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1020 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Important Note:

Please, DO NOT CALL CUSTOMER SUPPORT about this version.
Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

The Contents of this Download: (Differences based on previous version)

Please subscribe to the Extra, Extra! thread for news about DIRECTV2PC updates.

Download v5717
Download DIRECTV2PC Playback Advisor

New features
  • No new features since last version

Improved/Updated
  • Crash on ATSC channels

Notes
  • Please use your existing DIRECTV2PC key .. If you do not have one, please complete the Beta Download process @ http://www.directv.com/directv2pc
  • New Codecs may be download & installed as part of the setup/activation process after installation.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Win7, uninstalled and installed fine/normal.
Played SD, MPEG-2 HD, MPEG-4 HD
All had "slight" frame drops/stalls. I needed to look close to see them and they weren't that frequent, but were there.
This ATI video card has 512 RAM. This should be enough to run this app.
If this isn't enough to run this app smoothly, I think the app should be improved so it is.
"I used to" be able to play back recordings on my old nVidia 6600 [with 128] with the versions that didn't support dual monitors. Since dual monitor support, I "spilt" the twin [SLI] cards for dual monitor and have seen playback be worse. With the last version, even changing back to SLI [single monitor mode, with both cards "strapped" together] didn't help playback.
Since I'm seeing some of this on this PC with a "good advisor" report, it seems this app needs to be improved to get back to where it "used to be".
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

Dang, and I was just home swapping out the Xterra for the cycle!
Oh well, I'll get it tonight.
I was having trouble with the random OTA playback, looks like they've addressed this problem.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   kbxm

kbxm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

Problem: Installed fine, but trying to view ANY recorded program results in this message:

"The video's audio is protected and requires and audio output driver with HDCP support; changing the audio output to analog might allow audio playback"

I'm running analog all the way through and have the latest drivers on the PC that support HDCP.

What do I have to fix? I could get another version, but it seems that I can't re-use the keys. I tried my "current" key and it told me that the key had already been used,

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Problem: Installed fine, but trying to view ANY recorded program results in this message:

"The video's audio is protected and requires and audio output driver with HDCP support; changing the audio output to analog might allow audio playback"

I'm running analog all the way through and have the latest drivers on the PC that support HDCP.

What do I have to fix? I could get another version, but it seems that I can't re-use the keys. I tried my "current" key and it told me that the key had already been used,

What version of windows?
If Vista/Win7, you can click on the speaker icon and disable the digital output [device]. Even if you're not using it, without a sound driver that supports HDCP, it gives this error, if not disabled.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   smitmor

smitmor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Playback Advisor passes, but I get this error when I try to play anything.

DIRECTV2PC cannot display this video because your graphics card does not currently support screen capture protection for protected content. Try updating your graphics card driver or modify your driver settings.

Hardware is a Dell XPS M1530 running Windows 7.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Some common errors:

http://www.dbstalk.c...38&d=1253473827

This is normally a network/DVR problem and resetting/rebooting the DVR has resolved this for me.

http://www.dbstalk.c...41&d=1253474601

This is the HDCP error for video card/monitor
Updating your video driver may resolve this or changing over to the analog VGA connection works.

http://www.dbstalk.c...29&d=1253300515

This is the HDCP error for audio and few audio chip makers/drivers support HDCP. Realtek does.

If you're running Vista or Win7, click on the speaker icon and select playback devices

http://www.dbstalk.c...28&d=1253300515

Change this to this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...30&d=1253300515

We don't currently have a "fix" for XP, so disabling your current sound chip and installing a $10 sound card without the digital output, is about all you can do.

Now that we have MRV if someone is using the MRV from a DVR you will get this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1280865144

Attached Thumbnails

• Audio 2.PNG
  • audio error.PNG
  • Audio 3.PNG
  • D2PC net-error.PNG
  • D2PC video error.PNG

Edited by veryoldschool, 03 August 2010 - 08:57 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

I don't have the same ATSC recording that crashing it last version but checked another one that was recorded from the same station and it played OK.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   Golfman

Golfman

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts
  • LocationReston, VA

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

Uninstalled last version and downloaded the new version with no problems. However when I start app it again hangs up when asking for a "CD KEY".

Never saw this before the last version but it stops me dead in the water.

See post #127 in DIRECTV2PC v5708 - Issues & Discussion thread

HR34-700, AM21, Samsung PN64E550 OnkyoTX-NR515 receiver 5.1 surround FIOS 50/25 high speed Internet
HR21-100,Fantom 2TB eSATA Toshiba 32AFX62, SWM, DECA, Whole Home
AT9-5LNB

#10 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

I see the same crap as usual is going on. I downloaded this new version and installed it. Upon installation I entered one of my two activation keys that I received at my primary email address back in October 08 only to be told that the maximum uses of the key has already been met.

This is the same exact message I have always gotten on every single version of DirecTV2PC that I have tried to download and install. Each time it tells me I can't use one of the valid keys I have been given in the past, I have to go and request a new one with another email address of mine. When I try to use my primary email address again, I get the message:

"Dear DIRECTV Customer,

You have exceeded the maximum number of requests for a DIRECTV2PCTM application activation key using this email address; the maximum number is two. Please use one of the activation keys previously emailed to you.

If you are updating your product to a newer version, please use the the activation key previously emailed to you.

If you need additional keys or you have been installing the DIRECTV2PC application unsuccessfully, please download the file again using a different email address and we will send a new activation key to you.

Thank you,
DIRECTV"

Well, thats just crappy because if you don't have a ton of email addresses, you are pretty much out of luck.

I am down to one last address and one final request for another key. If this continues to happen with each subsequent release of the software, I am going to have to invent new email addresses to use and set them up. I don't think I should have to. I think that if you are given an activation key, it should continue to work for more than one activation on a product. The way it is now is ridiculous.

Is this problem ever going to be fixed? Or are we just going to have to keep doing this workaround to get a valid key for each new version that is released?

#11 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

Win7, uninstalled and installed fine/normal.

Hmm, not for me. Had to request yet another key. Pissing me off frankly. :)

"I used to" be able to play back recordings on my old nVidia 6600 [with 128] with the versions that didn't support dual monitors.

I am using a 6600 with 128MB ram right now and its working just fine. It is a passively cooled card too that suffers from overheating. I am about to upgrade it to a "SAPPHIRE 100254HDMI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail" from NewEgg.com.

#12 OFFLINE   kbxm

kbxm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

What version of windows?
If Vista/Win7, you can click on the speaker icon and disable the digital output [device]. Even if you're not using it, without a sound driver that supports HDCP, it gives this error, if not disabled.

XP and Vista.

The fix worked for Vista, I'll see what I can find for XP.

#13 OFFLINE   kbxm

kbxm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

I am down to one last address and one final request for another key. If this continues to happen with each subsequent release of the software, I am going to have to invent new email addresses to use and set them up. I don't think I should have to. I think that if you are given an activation key, it should continue to work for more than one activation on a product. The way it is now is ridiculous.

Is this problem ever going to be fixed? Or are we just going to have to keep doing this workaround to get a valid key for each new version that is released?

Agreed. It should be able to pull the key from the currently installed software or accept the old key with the new install. I've been making up hotmail accounts to get the keys since I've had to get new ones every time.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Technically this is beta software. When it goes "1.0" there will be an update server, but for now you have to keep entering the key because it's uninstalling every time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Its not a question of why are we having to enter the key. Its more of a question of why it isn't accepting keys previously assigned like it says it will.

#16 OFFLINE   steveken

steveken

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

I keep getting "The receiver is not responding. Please check the connection and then try again." each time I try to play things off of HD channels. The first thing I played was from 297 and it played fine, but then I chose to play something from 296 HD and 292 HD and they give that message. Haven't had a chance to play anything else yet. I will post if any other problems pop up.

#17 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have two questions. One is what option should I choose for the ffdshow. What should i be choosing? Do or don't use? just this once or always?

After I randomly choose an option to that request I get.

Directv2pc cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support playback of protected content.

ok now what?

I am running Win XP SP3. I have a samsung LCD display with DVI connection to a Radeon X1650 video card.

Edited by woj027, 18 September 2009 - 03:05 PM.
PC info

#18 OFFLINE   PhilS

PhilS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

Works fine for me. Using Windows 7 RC X64. Used existing key.

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

I have two questions. One is what option should I choose for the ffdshow. What should i be choosing? Do or don't use? just this once or always?

After I randomly choose an option to that request I get.

Directv2pc cannot play the video content because your computer or monitor does not support playback of protected content.

ok now what?

I am running Win XP SP3. I have a samsung LCD display with DVI connection to a Radeon X1650 video card.

While I didn't get any kind of prompt asking me to configure my ffdshow codecs (mines were installed via "Pixie Pack" which came bundled with a program called TuneBite) I did get the same nasty surprise message about my computer or monitor not being HDCP compatible.

Well... not totally surprised since the monitor, a Dell 2007FP connected by DVI to an XFX 7900GTX is indeed not HDCP compatable. But I thought this was only necessary for playing shows like movies recorded off the premium channels or some other. However, unlike with the earlier versions of DIRECTV2PC this version prevents me from viewing anything. :(

Can't afford a new monitor right now though. Certainly not just to accommodate this one application anyhow. :nono2:

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

While I didn't get any kind of prompt asking me to configure my ffdshow codecs (mines were installed via "Pixie Pack" which came bundled with a program called TuneBite) I did get the same nasty surprise message about my computer or monitor not being HDCP compatible.

Well... not totally surprised since the monitor, a Dell 2007FP connected by DVI to an XFX 7900GTX is indeed not HDCP compatable. But I thought this was only necessary for playing shows like movies recorded off the premium channels or some other. However, unlike with the earlier versions of DIRECTV2PC this version prevents me from viewing anything. :(

Can't afford a new monitor right now though. Certainly not just to accommodate this one application anyhow. :nono2:

ffdshow hasn't made a difference with "using or not", so might as well say "no".
The ATI 1650 may be a bit lite, as the x1800 & x1900 are the minimum [in the FAQs].
Too bad you didn't get the Dell 2007 WFP, which supports HDCP.

For those with video HDCP issues, there is always analog VGA connecting.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall