Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast Modem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

I heard comcast is going to increase the modem rental from $3 to $5 starting next month.

I'm thinking of buying a modem and returning the comcast modem.

Can anyone recommend me a good modem with approx price range and the shop to buy?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

I'd hold off. You'll be able to rent for more than 2 years to equal the price of a cable modem, but it is expected that DOCSIS v3 gear will be out soon, so you won't want to buy something that's going to be obsolete tomorrow.

#3 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

Also keep in mind that Comcast's Voice service is not compatible with even many DOCSIS 3.0 modems. So you could end up investing in a modem that might be incompatible with a service you end up wanting to add later (assuming you don't have it now).

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'd hold off. You'll be able to rent for more than 2 years to equal the price of a cable modem

That might be true if you pay the full retail price to buy your own and rental is only $3/mo. I bought my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard 5101) on eBay for about $30. Charter charges $5/mo, so it took 6 months to pay for itself.

but it is expected that DOCSIS v3 gear will be out soon, so you won't want to buy something that's going to be obsolete tomorrow.

First of all, it may be a while before individual cable companies begin supporting DOCSIS 3.0, and even then, they may not be supporting all of its speed capabilities. On top of that, they will likely be charging more for the faster service. If all you can get (or need) is DOCSIS 2.0 then bu the modem. It will be supported for plenty of months to come in order to pay for itself.

#5 OFFLINE   henrythomas

henrythomas

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:31 AM

Contemplating the switch from DSL to Cable Internet service with Comcast.

They said I'd need to either buy or rent ($3/mo) a cable modem.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive cable modem?

Thanks,

Edited by henrythomas, 22 October 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   usmcbob55

usmcbob55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

I'd be surprised if it took longer than 15 seconds to have Comcast comp the modem fee. I didn't seek out the credit but the CSR offered during my first call inquiring about adding services.

#7 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

I thought the same thing but talked with charter rep 2 days ago and they are already running DOCSIS 3.0. I was thinking of upgrading to 20Mbps service and that is one of the requirements for the service. Strange to think that the speed is so fast now!!

That might be true if you pay the full retail price to buy your own and rental is only $3/mo. I bought my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard 5101) on eBay for about $30. Charter charges $5/mo, so it took 6 months to pay for itself.

First of all, it may be a while before individual cable companies begin supporting DOCSIS 3.0, and even then, they may not be supporting all of its speed capabilities. On top of that, they will likely be charging more for the faster service. If all you can get (or need) is DOCSIS 2.0 then bu the modem. It will be supported for plenty of months to come in order to pay for itself.

#8 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

I use a Motorola SB5120 and have been for quite a few years now and have been problem free and get the speed I pay for. 10Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I saw a new version at BB a few days ago that has a much smaller footprint then the SB5120. I'd make sure to get the latest version. Obviously:)

Here is the link at Best Buy for the latest Motorola Cable Modem, http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218068107245

Contemplating the switch from DSL to Cable Internet service with Comcast.

They said I'd need to either buy or rent ($3/mo) a cable modem.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive cable modem?

Thanks,

Edited by Alebob911, 16 October 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

I thought the same thing but talked with charter rep 2 days ago and they are already running DOCSIS 3.0. I was thinking of upgrading to 20Mbps service and that is one of the requirements for the service. Strange to think that the speed is so fast now!!

They don't offer it in our area. Even if they did, I don't think I'd pay for it. My main need for speed is when connecting to the office, and it's nowhere near as fast as the 5Mbps I have now.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

Here ya go...very solid modem. Comcast approved.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16825122003

They're also available on eBay sometimes for less, of course sometimes they're stolen, used, or broken there too.

Remember when you get a new cable modem you need to call Comcast and register it with them.

spam firewall