Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why isn't ESPN Gameplan in HD?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eazy-e

eazy-e

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

Anybody know why DirecTV hasn't upgraded to HD for gameplan like they do afor all the other PPV packages?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Because ESPN doesn't offer it in HD to any provider.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Correct. My understanding is that DirecTV would be willing to offer it in HD if they were allowed to -- but that ESPN doesn't want to upset cable companies (many of which lack the bandwidth to do Gameplan HD) by letting them do so.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Correct. My understanding is that DirecTV would be willing to offer it in HD if they were allowed to -- but that ESPN doesn't want to upset cable companies (many of which lack the bandwidth to do Gameplan HD) by letting them do so.

ESPN, the world wide leader in sports. :rolleyes:

If D* is willing to pay for it I don't see why ESPN wouldn't let them have it. Cable is slowly catching up on bandwidth, so I see this a mute point in the future.

Maybe ESPN wants more eyes on their main channels then the game plan channels?

No, I don't hate ESPN, I have it on right now. I'm just saying, HD is the only way to watch sports nowadays. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

ESPN, the world wide leader in sports. :rolleyes:

If D* is willing to pay for it I don't see why ESPN wouldn't let them have it. Cable is slowly catching up on bandwidth, so I see this a mute point in the future.

Maybe ESPN wants more eyes on their main channels then the game plan channels?

No, I don't hate ESPN, I have it on right now. I'm just saying, HD is the only way to watch sports nowadays. ;)

+1. That's one reason I cancelled GP for the first time this year. Mostly it was for budget reasons but if the GP games were all HD, it would have been a tough call for me.

The other reason is that I wasn't using GP that much the last 2-3 years. The only game I've missed so far is today's USC/Wash game. That's the one that went to GP due to the local ABC and the ESPN Big Ten game getting the reverse-mirror coverage in the Dallas mkt.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#6 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

and that is whay I stopped getting before last year started.

#7 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

I canceled this year and the reason I gave the CSR was no HD for the games. I figure that hits everyone in the pocketbook and may prompt some action.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

ESPN doesn't even do alternate games on ESPN/ESPN2 in HD, why would you think they would have the ability to do 5 or 6 games in HD on Gameplan?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

ESPN doesn't even do alternate games on ESPN/ESPN2 in HD, why would you think they would have the ability to do 5 or 6 games in HD on Gameplan?

and last year the when the non HD game went to OT they bumped nascar to ECL in SD.

#10 OFFLINE   berniec

berniec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

my guess is the cost and availability of HD production trucks is the limiting factor. It's probably far more economical for ESPN to rent the SD trucks, and even if they wanted to do HD, there still are a limited number of HD production trucks that can do an event the size of a football game.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

Most of the games that ESPN does is in HD in the area that they broadcast in the area. I would think that Gameplan would use similar amount of bandwidth that Sunday Ticket is using. It does make me wonder if cable companies are having their way by not allowing it in HD because they don't have the capacity. No HD = No Gameplan for me.
my setup here

#12 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

thats why I still have a nice SD 53 inch big screen for SD viewing. Cause watch SD on HD looks like an internet feed.
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#13 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

my guess is the cost and availability of HD production trucks is the limiting factor. It's probably far more economical for ESPN to rent the SD trucks, and even if they wanted to do HD, there still are a limited number of HD production trucks that can do an event the size of a football game.

This was true a few years ago, but as someone else said, most of these games are in HD somewhere, so they are produced in HD. THey are just not carried in HD. Actually, if they were even close to what used to pass as SD quality it would not be so bad, but it looks like an internet feed.

We did sub to Gameplan this year, but since all the GP games are now on ESPN360 (and hey, the one good thing about AT&T DSL is ESPN360 access) I will have a couple of computers running by next year on my TVs so we can watch it that way. I just could not find the systems that I wanted in time this year.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#14 OFFLINE   DBSooner

DBSooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

We did sub to Gameplan this year, but since all the GP games are now on ESPN360 (and hey, the one good thing about AT&T DSL is ESPN360 access) I will have a couple of computers running by next year on my TVs so we can watch it that way. I just could not find the systems that I wanted in time this year.

I canceled GamePlan before the season and did just that. Why pay for GamePlan if it's not in HD and you can get the same games free on ESPN 360?
D* subscriber since 2002

HD DVR - HR21-100
HD DVR - HR21-100
HD - H21-100

If I think before I post, I might not post at all. :)

#15 OFFLINE   mgoblue99

mgoblue99

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

Are games that are part of GamePlan blacked out of the Sports Package, a la MLB, NHL, and NBA games? I saw, for example, that Ohio State/Toledo was part of GamePlan, but was also on Altitude, an out-of-market RSN I get via the Sports Package. Would I have been able to watch that game this past weekend or would I have been blacked out? Please advise.

Thanks!

#16 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I watched the Ohio St game on Altitude and I'm not a GP subs. From what I can tell early in the season, there's several games on GP that will also be available on one of the RSN's. I cancelled GP for the first time this year and so far the only game that I've missed that I would have watched partially was the USC/Washington game.

I needed to trim my DTV budget and I hadn't been utilizing GP much the last 2-3 years. So far, it's working out. I know there will be some other ABC/ESPN "reverse-mirror" games that I'll miss without GP but I couldn't justify the $'s for GP this year.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#17 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Scrolling through the guide I see GP games that are on the RSNs all the time. In fact, already at least once this year, there was a game that was in HD on the RSNs and of course, youtube quality on GamePlan. Guess which one I watched. ;)

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

spam firewall