Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor DirecTV customer "service" in action

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

We have remedies in place now. If you want a customer bill of rights, it will end up costing more money for everything. We need to continue enforcing the remedies in place today. We don't need another name for it and another set of bureaucrats that will produce a tax to pay for it.

Well said

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Not always.

Really? I thought all Legacy equipment was swapped out for free? I've never heard of anyone being charged.

#23 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Really? I thought all Legacy equipment was swapped out for free? I've never heard of anyone being charged.

Assuming you meant all legacy to mean all HD DVR Tivo's. The majority of the time yes but there are some scenarios. Such as item was already swapped out and then someone else activates the old item on the account. If you don't have the required service levels on the account.

#24 OFFLINE   Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions and sympathies. Some good news today. I logged on this morning to see that yesterday someone had in fact reversed the charge. I'm not sure why or who did it, but I'm glad they did. Then I called someone in the vice president's office as someone had suggested in this forum to try to sort it all out. She said it was a mistake on their part and was very apologetic and promised to follow-up on my account once they receive the receivers. I also expressed concern about the DVR being in a mislabeled return kit, but she thought it would be OK.

Apparently, though, my account is a mess. She wasn't sure what receiver was missing, or which receiver I apparently own or don't -- but she was very patient with me and promised to set things straight once they had all the receivers in house. She even gave me a name, ID #, etc., to follow up. It was a nice switch from my experience with CSRs, who to be fair were polite but just not very helpful.

The experience has me wishing that though DirecTV does list all of your active receivers online, wouldn't it be nice if they included activation date, owned or leased status, any deactivated receivers and return status? And how about a "Thanks for being a customer since (DATE)" and the status of any commitment term? The more information the better.

After all (here's the kicker), while running through my account, I told her I now had three active receivers, and still had one deactivated, standard-definition receiver that had been in the garage for three years because, again, I was told they didn't want it back and never got a return kit. Well, guess what, they do want it back after all. She's sending a return kit. The morale of the story? Never let your wife throw out any of your stuff.

#25 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Depending on your phone carrier, you might have had them flag/dispute that charge, until the credit posted too, so you did not have to pay it.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#26 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

HR10-250s that have been in continuous service since at least 2007, on an account with HD service, will get replaced for free.

Folks who bought an HR10-250 a couple of months ago off eBay won't get a free upgrade, nor will folks who already got a free upgrade, but kept the HR10 active. You don't get to "upgrade again" for free; at least, not anymore.

#27 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

I can understand it taking maybe 30 days to get the recovery kit delivered, and then D* waiting another 30 days after that to get the receiver, but waiting over six months to notify a customer of a non-returned equipment fee is ridiculous. I simply don't see how they can enforce this. I guess the moral to the story is to deal with them via e-mail and to keep copies of every exchange.

#28 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

One final point to make if you ever manage to get your account in order and receive credit for the so-called "non-returned receivers".....

CALL IN AND CHECK YOUR COMMITMENT DATE!!

With all these receiver swaps and things, it's probably a good bet that somewhere along the line you got your commitment extended!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,820 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

And YOU don't subscribe to DIRECT TV so why are posting garbage in this part of the forum again?:confused::confused:

Perhaps because I don't drink the Koolaid, I can see when a D* subscriber has been bent over unjustly.

Do you really believe that DIRECTV was in the right in this situation? It seems like they did almost everything wrong if you take the OP's story at face value.

#30 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

HR10-250s that have been in continuous service since at least 2007, on an account with HD service, will get replaced for free.

Folks who bought an HR10-250 a couple of months ago off eBay won't get a free upgrade, nor will folks who already got a free upgrade, but kept the HR10 active. You don't get to "upgrade again" for free; at least, not anymore.

That makes total sense, I was simply thinking of folks that purchased/leased the HR10-250 getting the upgrade. Never heard of a time when a legit customer didn't get the upgrade for free.

#31 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

Perhaps because I don't drink the Koolaid, I can see when a D* subscriber has been bent over unjustly.

Do you really believe that DIRECTV was in the right in this situation? It seems like they did almost everything wrong if you take the OP's story at face value.

Nobody is saying the DirecTV is in the right here. The point was just being made that the same thing can and does happen with both Dish and cable. I myself would be livid if this happened to me.

In fact I just got hit with a $30 service call fee from Comcast from a tech visit. I wasn't told the service call was going to cost anything (and it shouldn't have) and to top it off, they withdrew fee from by bank account when they withdrew my most recent bill payment even though the sercice call was after I had received my statement.

I called up and got it rectified. That is what we've been telling the OP to do. Make sure he talks to the right people and get this issue straightened out that DirecTV caused.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#32 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions and sympathies. Some good news today. I logged on this morning to see that yesterday someone had in fact reversed the charge. I'm not sure why or who did it, but I'm glad they did. Then I called someone in the vice president's office as someone had suggested in this forum to try to sort it all out. She said it was a mistake on their part and was very apologetic and promised to follow-up on my account once they receive the receivers. I also expressed concern about the DVR being in a mislabeled return kit, but she thought it would be OK.

Apparently, though, my account is a mess. She wasn't sure what receiver was missing, or which receiver I apparently own or don't -- but she was very patient with me and promised to set things straight once they had all the receivers in house. She even gave me a name, ID #, etc., to follow up. It was a nice switch from my experience with CSRs, who to be fair were polite but just not very helpful.

The experience has me wishing that though DirecTV does list all of your active receivers online, wouldn't it be nice if they included activation date, owned or leased status, any deactivated receivers and return status? And how about a "Thanks for being a customer since (DATE)" and the status of any commitment term? The more information the better.

After all (here's the kicker), while running through my account, I told her I now had three active receivers, and still had one deactivated, standard-definition receiver that had been in the garage for three years because, again, I was told they didn't want it back and never got a return kit. Well, guess what, they do want it back after all. She's sending a return kit. The morale of the story? Never let your wife throw out any of your stuff.

You could have saved a lot of key presses with just typing the sentence I bolded.:lol:

Glad they got it straightened out for you.

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

<snip>...I'm going to call my phone company Monday and attempt to "unbundle" to beat the bill from DirecTV and avoid situations like this -- besides, as much as I'd hate to do it I'm so angry that I'm seriously considering dumping DirecTV over this experience as soon as football season is over (I'd dump them now if I hadn't already paid for Sunday Ticket).

So now it's a race to see if the DVR gets there before they bill my phone company. And that's assuming it's the one they want. I'll tell you how it goes if anyone out there cares :). Thanks for listening.

dish and the cable co do the same carp with there boxes and comcast even want as far as billing people who lost there cable boxes to fire, Tornado's, hurricanes and others.

The OP doesn't subscribe to DISH or cable.

The actions of DIRECTV in this case are unconscionable and writing them off as industry standard is not helping.

I apologize to the OP but if it weren't for the fact that you were wrong in the first place there wouldn't be so many OT posts in this thread.

Next time please read the whole post so that you can take the replies in their proper context. Other wise you might come off as completely clueless when you chastise other members for replying to specific comments in the original post...I'm just sayin' :grin:

:backtotop

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Wow, that worked out really quick. :)

Their web site kind of has the owned leased status of your receivers (as well as on your bill).

If the fee is labled "Additional Receiver" it's owned other wise it will be labled "Leased Receiver". Although, I agree that it would be nice to see what the commitment date is without having to call DirecTV. :D

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

Aren't you a DISH network customer? What are you doing here? What expertise are you bringing to this discussion? :scratchin

#36 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

That makes total sense, I was simply thinking of folks that purchased/leased the HR10-250 getting the upgrade. Never heard of a time when a legit customer didn't get the upgrade for free.

Have one hooked up in the garage, no upgrade offered as of yet. The other ones where replaced via the protection plan as they failed

#37 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Their web site kind of has the owned leased status of your receivers (as well as on your bill).

If the fee is labled "Additional Receiver" it's owned other wise it will be labled "Leased Receiver".

Although it does show "additional" vs. "leased" on the bill, you can't tell which receiver it applies to. It would be helpful if they would put the receiver or access card ID on those detail lines. Of course you can see the ID's on the "My Equipment" screen, but there's noindication of which is leased vs. owned.

Although, I agree that it would be nice to see what the commitment date is without having to call DirecTV. :D

Definitely! Verizon prominently shows my contract date online. Of course they have a policy of offering discounted phones and features when I renew, whereas D* has no policy, so that makes a difference.

It does seem like D* is trying to keep information from their customers for some reason.

#38 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

<snip>

Definitely! Verizon prominently shows my contract date online. <snip>

It does seem like D* is trying to keep information from their customers for some reason.

I think these 2 parts are pertinent, don't show contract date and people won't know they can leave easily.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#39 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

I feel bad for all the people that are experiencing these issues. I dont call Directv very often. I think I have called them twice since I signed up. I just called this Tuesday cause I had to upgrade from my H23-600 to an HD+DVR. I got the price I wanted, shipping free, and quick delivery. I setup up just an hour ago and got the new firmware during the installation and they were extremely nice. When I called I just stated that I needed to get another DVR due to scheduling conflicts and everything was offered without me asking. I just have to send back the H23 so I dont get charged another fee.

Not trying to take away from any true bad experiences but this is the very reason why I left Dish and Comcast. They treated me like a moron whenever I called or needed tech support. To date I have only been treated respectfully and have always been given the correct info. Granted, I have done my homework extensively before my purchase. They even explained in grave detail the contract extension and how it affects my program, future promos, etc. I wish everyone had these types of experience. Maybe we could create threads that have both good and bad experiences separate so that people see both sides to each of these companies. Seems that the poor experiences get posted more often. Most of the people that I have referred to Directv cant stop bragging about the service. Hope they dont start slipping. Its would be a shame.

#40 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

As much as I hate to agree with Harsh ;), he has a point. It does seem like there are few here that feel D* can do no wrong.

I am D* customer. Have been for a long time. I switched from Dish to D* for many of the same customer service issues I see D* doing now. Including the OP's here. D* used to be number one...but they are slipping fast. It is a real shame.

spam firewall