Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Mets/Phillies Blacked out on DirecTV?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilliesFanAtic_*

Guest_PhilliesFanAtic_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2003 - 05:51 PM

I am in Ocean County, New Jersey. I am in the New York City DMA.

Tonight's Mets/Phillies Game is carried on LOCAL CABLE not blacked-out on both Fox Sports New York and Comcast Sports Net (Philly version).

On DirecTV Comcast Sports Net is not the Philly version, and Fox Sports New York is BLACKED OUT!

I cannot get tonght's game at all on DirecTV!

Why?!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:49 PM

Becuease comcast wont allow it
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#3 OFFLINE   Brett

Brett

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 09:42 AM

I am in Ocean County, New Jersey. I am in the New York City DMA.

Tonight's Mets/Phillies Game is carried on LOCAL CABLE not blacked-out on both Fox Sports New York and Comcast Sports Net (Philly version).

On DirecTV Comcast Sports Net is not the Philly version, and Fox Sports New York is BLACKED OUT!

I cannot get tonght's game at all on DirecTV!

Why?!

Why are all these Ocean County customers "guests"?

You must be a subscriber to the Sports package. You will get Knicks and Nets for basketball (not sure about hockey on DirecTV), but for baseball you will be in Phillies territory. Some of the Phillies games broadcast on ESPN are blacked out in places like Lakewood and Jackson.

It is dumb that Phillies claim Ocean County. WCBS-880 (Yankees flagship) and WFAN (Mets flagship) have good signals into Ocean County; WPEN-950 (Phillies flagship) does not. Most people in Ocean Co. arent Phillies fans, but MLB claims that is Phillies territory.

The Phillies (not Comcast owned) are requesting the blackouts. With blackouts, it is provider specific. An entity with rights to ask for blackouts, can ask one provider to blackout the show, but not ask the other provider. WPHL 17/Philadelphia asks Comcast [Vineland, Bensalem] to blackout WPIX, but doesnt ask Echostar to blackout the same superstation signal. The FCC heavily regulates an industry but as a bureaucracy. Our government should eliminate the budgetary funding going to the FCC.

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:11 AM

We here in Ocean County are actually claimed by BOTH markets for cable (we get both NY and Philly stations here on cable, but we only qualify for NYC and are prohibted from getting Philly locals on E*.

I subscribe to the MLB.TV internet service which basically lets us have MLB Extra Innings on our computers, BUT they black out all Phillies, Mets, and Yankee games which shuts down three games a day. I'm a fantasy baseball geek, so I get the other teams at least, but this is a pain, choose one or the other market to black out but not BOTH!

BTW, my house is in Brielle in Monmouth County, and my office is in Point Pleasant which is one town to the south over the Manasquan River in Ocean County. I used to live in Point Pleasant which is why I know the restrictions from both areas.....

For my business, Ocean County is weird, because we sometimes are considered part of the New York market, while others consider us part of the Philly market. It depends on who is drawing the maps as we are about 45 miles away from both of them......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 11:38 PM

So does this mean if A subcriber where to get Directv in ocean city they would get NYC locals ???
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 03:05 PM

If you were to get E* in Ocean COUNTY, definitely yes, you would be part of new york locals. I can't answer to D* as I don't have it.

If you are asking about Ocean CITY, that is either Atlantic or Cape may County which is part of Philadelphia's area if I'm not mistaken.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Brett

Brett

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:45 PM

Ocean City is in northern Cape May County. Very popular beach. Philadelphians tend visit Cape May beaches, not the Ocean County beaches (Pt. Pleasant, Seaside) as much. Part of that is the Philly stations promoting the southern NJ beaches over the Ocean County beaches.

Supposedly north of LBI is NY market beach area which never is brought up in Philly news unless major. I always found it weird because both are 1 and an half hours away. Its not like Ocean City is closer to Philly than Seaside. Just happens that north of LBI is considered NY market beach area which is geared more for Central NJ viewers. Northern Ocean County follows NJ Devils and NJ Nets and bars were celebrating their success(es). Those teams go uncelebrated here as Philly teams dominate. Southern Ocean County follows Philly teams more.

#8 OFFLINE   waydwolf

waydwolf

Icon

• Registered
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 10:58 PM

Our government should eliminate the budgetary funding going to the FCC.

Were it to do this, anyone could broadcast on any frequency from anywhere at any time and we'd have no useable spectrum whatsoever as everyone broadcast on every frequency at once. The FCC keeps that from happening. Most countries have their own equivalent for the same reason. We have international treaties within which they co-operate with each other for the same reason. Anarchy in the electromagnetic domain is not pretty.
http://groups.yahoo....linginstallers/

Proud Supporter of any initiative to bring High Definition adult programming to cable and satellite

Protected By... spam firewall...And...