Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

switching from dish, ques on set top box functionality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgarveyATL

jgarveyATL

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

I checked the FAQs and stickies on receiver comparisons and it wasn't clear if this was or wasn't supported. Do 2 tuner DVRs provide the ability to watch by tuner source by room?

Today with Dish, I have the following 4 room setup:

HD dual tuner ViP 622 -- sends one HD tuner to one room, SD out to another room.
SD single tuner 508 -- single tuner

From what I can read, it doesn't appear that any of the DirecTV boxes provide the capability to "split" tuners by output source.

Example: CBS is being taped on tuner 1, and ABC is being taped on tuner 2, TV1 has 4 choices for viewing:
1. watch a prerecorded show
2. watch what is being taped on Tuner 1 (from the recording)
3. watch what is being taped on Tuner 2 (live or can be paused to watch later).
4. watch OTA channel (TV2 cannot watch OTA)

I believe if I want DVR capabilities like this that I need a box for each room, correct?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

You are right. For now, DIRECTV receivers don't support any sort of multi-room viewing. However, it is in the cards.

You will also find that DIRECTV is very accommodating to let you add as many HD DVRs as you'd like.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

You are right. For now, DIRECTV receivers don't support any sort of multi-room viewing. However, it is in the cards.

You will also find that DIRECTV is very accommodating to let you add as many HD DVRs as you'd like.

Stuart, do you mean MRV in the sense that DVR recordings can be shared with other connected receivers, or in the sense that the OP was asking about his Dish Network equipment where both DVR tuners can be used simultaneously on two different TV's?

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

As you know, there's no way to view something on a TV in one room if it's recorded in another room. However, that functionality is coming. That's all I can say, based on public statements made my DIRECTV marketing.

In the dish network sense that one receiver is used to independently power two televisions... I'd be very surprised to see that happen.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

This doesn't help the OP now, but DirecTV has also publicly mentioned a whole home DVR for early next year.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

In the dish network sense that one receiver is used to independently power two televisions... I'd be very surprised to see that happen.

That was really my question (and I believe the OP's, too). I thought I remembered some discussion on this stating that the HR2x series was simply not capable of outputting two different A/V streams like the Dish hardware.

In that case, the OP will need to be prepared to either share the same output from one receiver on multiple TV's, or add additional receivers to be able to view multiple shows on multiple TV's simultaneously.

#7 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Directv basically operates on a one-box-per-TV installation model. There is no equivalent to the Dish shared-box scenario.

For example, with Directv, you have 4 TVs, you need 4 boxes.

Upside is that each room is independent, so that with a Directv DVR, you can record one show while you watch another, in the same room, with no effect on what the other rooms can do. Can't do that with a Dish DVR if it is shared. (Which is why the Dish setup that I have in another location does not use shared boxes.)

Keith
in Vegas

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

HD dual tuner ViP 622 -- sends one HD tuner to one room, SD out to another room.

If SD is OK, there's lots of other options too, since all the outputs on the D* boxes are active at the same time. I currently have 2 D*DVR's hooked up to my main living room display (HD), but each one is also sent to 7 other TV's in the house (SD) via a channel plus modulator.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...