Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood Questions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Ok, I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm now hooked on Torchwood after a friend suggested I "give it a go"...

I just finished watching Season 1 but I'm a bit lost on a couple of things. This is probably because I haven't watched Dr. Who in over 20 years and had no desire to watch the new ones that came out the past few years.

1. How does Gwen tie into Dr. Who? I see the same actress played the same part in both Dr. Who and Torchwood.

2. How does Captain Jack Harkness tie in to Dr. Who?

3. What does Jack mean that he's from the past and future?

And yes, I realize that Torchwood is an anagram for Doctor Who. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

1. How does Gwen tie into Dr. Who? I see the same actress played the same part in both Dr. Who and Torchwood.

Welcome to the party...

#1. Technically she doesn't, except that she is the same actress... although, a wink/nod was done in last season's Dr Who finale that suggests Gwen might be a descendant of the character she played in the earlier Dr Who episode.

#2. Captain Jack was introduced in the latter stages of the first series of the new Dr Who series... He was in a few episodes there before Torchwood. Also, Torchwood itself was referenced and appeared in Dr Who first.

#3. It's convoluted, and I can't answer too much without giving away a lot of plot points that are kind of neat... But suffice to say he was born in Earth's future... then became a time traveller... and has (as a result) spent considerable time in the past now.

There's a short list of good Jack/Who episodes you might want to watch even if you don't want to watch all of the new Dr Who series to help fill in some of the gaps.

There will also be a character in season 2 of Torchwood that is from the 3rd series of the new Dr Who... so you'll have that question soon as well :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

She really doesn't for the most part.

He was a companion along with Rose in the first season of the new Dr. Who. He appeared in several episodes (also in a few I think in either the 2nd or 3rd season). What happened there is a big setup for what Jack really is (like he can't die). I won't give away any more as it would all be spoilers.

Again, would be Spoilers to say too much but he was born in the future and as he notes in the Torchwood series he is a "Time Agent". Kinda like FBI for time travel. How he gets to today's world is explained in Dr. Who and the first episode of Torchwood.

Torchwood itself was established by Queen Victoria some 100+ years ago after her interactions with Dr. Who.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

She really doesn't for the most part.

So it's a complete coincidence that the same actress plays a character with the exact same name? wow...

I may have to check out the newer Dr. Who episodes although I have to say they look like junk...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

So it's a complete coincidence that the same actress plays a character with the exact same name? wow...

I may have to check out the newer Dr. Who episodes although I have to say they look like junk...

The show is made to be a bit campy, kinda keeping in line with the original shows. They do a good job with it and the writing for the show gets better as the first season progresses. I'd give it a shot.

And like others stated, watching Dr. Who will answer a bunch of questions you have about Torchwood.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Torchwood is one of my all time favorite sci-fi series, with Countrycide being probably the scariest hour of TV I've seen in a very long time...

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Torchwood is one of my all time favorite sci-fi series, with Countrycide being probably the scariest hour of TV I've seen in a very long time...

It was a good episode, all of Season 1 was I think, but I don't think it was that scary. And you had to know how it was going to end based on several movies that have had similar storylines.

I think Torchwood is smart well written sci-fi. If only hollywood would stop babying us and thinking we're all idiots who can't "get" an intelligent show...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Not "all". Simply "more than enough", perhaps, though.

#9 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

It's not a coincidence, the producers really liked her performance in an early Dr. Who episode and decided to call her in for Torchwood. Since she played a maid in the 1800's in the Dr. Who episode there shouldn't be any confusion between the two characters.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#10 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

It was a bit of a gamble so earlyon in a new series to have an episode that actually broke from the pattern. The pattern was not well established, but would be, and this episode did not follow that at all.

It's not a coincidence, the producers really liked her performance in an early Dr. Who episode and decided to call her in for Torchwood. Since she played a maid in the 1800's in the Dr. Who episode there shouldn't be any confusion between the two characters.

Spoiler

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#11 OFFLINE   Mr_Bester

Mr_Bester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

She actually played 2 different characters in Dr. Who. She played the descendant of Gwen cooper a couple of seasons ago. Then she played Gwen Cooper in an episode of Dr. Who with Ianto. There was just one episode of Crossover.
Sony KDS60A2000
Yamaha 5.1 Sound
HR20-700
Native Off
BBC attached
HDMI

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

So I've started watching Season 2 and have a couple more questions...

1. Is "Children Of Earth" considered Season 3?

2. Is "Children Of Earth" the end or will there be more?

3. Does the show get to a point where everyone on the team has shagged everyone on the team? :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

1. Yes.

2. There will probably be more, but nothing is firm yet.

3. No. There actually wasn't much, uh, cross-shagging.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

1. A 5 episode season, how sad.

2. I'm hooked now, I hope there's more.

3. Let's see you've had Owen with Suzie, Toshiko and Gwen... Jack with Ianto and Owen with Jack has been implied too. I'd consider that a large amount of cross-shagging.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

1. A 5 episode season, how sad.

Not sad at all. It was an incredible season. A very tight, creatively superior season.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Torchwood got a longer season than Dr Who did this season, in fact.

The 5 1-hr episodes are more than the 4 1-hr specials Dr Who gets this year, though technically a 5th Who special will air as part of a 2-parter over Christmas/New Years.

This was a take-a-break year for the whole Who family basically... so I was pleased to get any Torchwood, and thought the tight-mini-series story was a good way to go.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#17 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

I just hope their is a Season 3 of Torchwood. I saw the Children Of the Earth mini-series. It was good. Then I saw John Barrowman say at comic-con video posted on YouTube that Torchwood returning was up in the air right now. I have my fingers crossed!

I knew Doctor Who WAS returning with the new doctor after David Tennants' run is though. I think it's set to start in 2010. There are 2 (I think) more specials of current Doctor Who set to air on BBC America.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

I just hope their is a Season 3 of Torchwood. I saw the Children Of the Earth mini-series.

You wouldn't think it because it was only 5 hours, but officially "Children of Earth" is the third season, so Season 4 would be next ...

#19 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:47 AM

You wouldn't think it because it was only 5 hours, ...

"Gosh, those Yanks with their insistence on super-sizing everything!"

:D

#20 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

You wouldn't think it because it was only 5 hours, but officially "Children of Earth" is the third season, so Season 4 would be next ...

I agree. But Barrowman couldn't say if their even would be a season 4.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

spam firewall