Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

We're Off to see the Wizard - For Free

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

“The Wizard of Oz” is 70 years old this year, and Warner Brothers is celebrating by performing a digital restoration of the original film. And you can watch it for free, thanks to Netflix. For 24 hours, starting at 9 AM Eastern on October 3. All you have to do is go to www.netflix.com/wizardofoz to view the streamed movie on demand.

More HERE

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

“The Wizard of Oz” is 70 years old this year, and Warner Brothers is celebrating by performing a digital restoration of the original film. And you can watch it for free, thanks to Netflix. For 24 hours, starting at 9 AM Eastern on October 3. All you have to do is go to www.netflix.com/wizardofoz to view the streamed movie on demand.

More HERE

Also note that you will also be able to use any Netflix capable streaming unit (XBox 360, Roku, Blu-Ray player, etc.) to watch this incredible film as well.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

just hope they show it in the right ratio. the blu-ray verison is a disappointment since you have to adjust your widescreen tv to fill the whole screen with movie. If i wanted to watch movies in 4:3 i would have kept my old tv. whats the sense of having a widescreen tv when the movie isnt in 16:9. I know the movie was made in the 1930's but really, they couldnt have made it work with todays tv's?

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

just hope they show it in the right ratio. the blu-ray verison is a disappointment since you have to adjust your widescreen tv to fill the whole screen with movie. If i wanted to watch movies in 4:3 i would have kept my old tv. whats the sense of having a widescreen tv when the movie isnt in 16:9. I know the movie was made in the 1930's but really, they couldnt have made it work with todays tv's?

Any attempt to make a film shot in 1.33:1 format into a 16x9 would result in distortion. There would be no way around it. Face the facts, if you love movies, many of them will have to be watched in the 4x3 format even on a 16x9 screen if you expect to see them without introducing some type of distortion.

I have a hard time grasping this mindset of "I don't car what you do to the picture, just make it fill my screen".

I expect the Wizard of Oz to have a digitally enhanced soundtrack, a completely cleaned up and rejuvenated color screen and for it to be shown without DISTORTING the picture.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Any attempt to make a film shot in 1.33:1 format into a 16x9 would result in distortion. There would be no way around it. Face the facts, if you love movies, many of them will have to be watched in the 4x3 format even on a 16x9 screen if you expect to see them without introducing some type of distortion.

I have a hard time grasping this mindset of "I don't car what you do to the picture, just make it fill my screen".

I expect the Wizard of Oz to have a digitally enhanced soundtrack, a completely cleaned up and rejuvenated color screen and for it to be shown without DISTORTING the picture.

The restoration process they used on Oz is to say the very least spectacular. The took the original 3-element master and individually digitized each element at 8k with a combined master done at 4k. You have a choice of either the original mono soundtrack, or a new 5.1DTS-HD track. I'm picking mine up tonight and plan on watching it this weekend. I'll try and do a quick review next week on what I think of it.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

I watched the Blu-Ray the other night. It looks and sounds fantastic!

Movies like this were composed for a 4X3 screen. There would be quite an uproar from movie purists if they tried to crop or distort it to fit to 16X9.

The people that restored The Wizard of Oz did what was necessary to make the movie look brand new and nothing more. They removed the camera negatives from storage (Technicolor used 3 strips of film at the time), scanned them into a 8K scanning system, took out the scratches, cleaned up the audio and added a few stereo and surround effects. They did not digitally enhance anything as far as the picture is concerned.

The Wizard of Oz is now back to it's most pure condition. Actually it's better since digitally combining the 3 strip technicolor film rendered it "perfect". Back in the 30's, combining the 3 elements was not an exact science so there were picture quality issues like color ghosting and such.

There is a really good documentary on the Blu-Ray and DVD that explain the restoration process.

In any case, I'm glad they didn't mess with the aspect ratio on the Blu-Ray. It would have changed the composition thus you would not be seeing what was intended.

#7 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

Movies like this were composed for a 4X3 screen. There would be quite an uproar from movie purists if they tried to crop or distort it to fit to 16X9.
In any case, I'm glad they didn't mess with the aspect ratio on the Blu-Ray. It would have changed the composition thus you would not be seeing what was intended.

I can see some ad revenue opportunity here with the unused space on each side. Maybe the Geico lizard or that dancing character from banner ads to the left or right of the movie?

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

Wow.

1. It is the right ratio
2. You shouldn't adjust your TV
3. How would they make it work?
4. It's not a "widescreen TV", it's an HDTV (which just happens to be 16:9)

#9 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

seems tho the DVD verison of this film works on a widescreen tv, just odd to me. im sure it's still gonna tick some people off that it wont fit the screen. I adjusted my tv to fill the screen it's personal taste i guess. The film does look great, looks like it was shot yesterday, but it still bugs me. it's like when the whiney people started when movie showed up with the black bars top and bottom. some thought they were getting cheated on picture, guess its the same here. :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

im sure it's still gonna tick some people off that it wont fit the screen.

I doubt it. Most people understand aspect ratios and the fact that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole.

#11 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

im sure your right! i seem to run into or overhear people in the video stores or wal mart etc. whine about widescreen movies and the like. there's more out there than you might think

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

Perhaps you're right, I'm not that familiar with Wal-Mart electronics shoppers.

#13 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

just saying most will complain and other will understand.

oh btw - Snow white will be formatted the same way. no surprise now

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

just saying most will complain and other will understand.

Except you have that backwards.

#15 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Sorry..... :grin:

#16 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

I have moved on to only watching the film with Dark side of the moon as audio. So displaying the movie to 16:9 is not much of a "stretch".

#17 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

iVe heard of doing that. at what point to u start Dark side of the moon when running Wizard of Oz. always wanted to try that

#18 OFFLINE   seanb61

seanb61

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

As soon as the shrooms or LSD kick in! :D

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

iVe heard of doing that. at what point to u start Dark side of the moon when running Wizard of Oz. always wanted to try that

The Dark Side of Oz

#20 OFFLINE   mountainDBS

mountainDBS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

spam firewall