Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

SG-U: Stargate Universe premiers on October 2 at 9pm ET

I just checked, and it is available on my DIRECTV HR21 Guide for scheduling (not sure about other carriers)

I am really anxious to know how this show is going to connect to everything else.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

SG-U: Stargate Universe premiers on October 2 at 9pm ET

I just checked, and it is available on my DIRECTV HR21 Guide for scheduling (not sure about other carriers)

I am really anxious to know how this show is going to connect to everything else.

Excellent! Just set the Series Link...thanks for the heads up!

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks .. I was waiting for that one to show up. Fills out my schedule :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, set up that one also. A no miss for me.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

Stargate:Universe showing up on E* EPG.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Yup, it was in my D* guide a few days ago too, and is all setup. The only Stargate I've ever watched was the original movie - am I going to be lost with this series?

I'm going to give it a try to fill my space sci-fi hole since there is no more BSG.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#7 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

I am happy to see this coming around. However, I am very, very, very, very, apprehensive of Lou Diamond Phillips in this. He could potentially do a David Caruso to this show.

#8 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

I'm looking forward to this show, albeit with a bit of trepidation. SG-SG1 and SG-Atlantis are a favorite of mine, I have all ten seasons of SG1 on dvd. A lot has to do with the humor and character interaction. Just going by the preveiws for SGU, I see this to be a dark and humorless show. Reminds me of BSG, which I didn't watch for the same reason, it was dark, dreary and humorless.
Of course I will give SGU a chance. I hope I am wrong about the show.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Yup, it was in my D* guide a few days ago too, and is all setup. The only Stargate I've ever watched was the original movie - am I going to be lost with this series?

I, too, would like to know that answer.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

I, too, would like to know that answer.

Have no worries. We Stargate aficionados will clue you in.:D
I have a feeling it will be a stand alone series......I think it looks more like "Lost In Space" by Gate"

#11 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

I think it looks more like "Lost In Space" by Gate"

Or similar to the original premise of "Sliders"??

#12 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

I just watched the trailer it looks promising

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#13 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Or similar to the original premise of "Sliders"??

Yea, that one also.

#14 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

This Stargate might be a stand alone... I'm hoping anyway. I've watched all the other versions. Hope they don't refer too much to them.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

I am happy to see this coming around. However, I am very, very, very, very, apprehensive of Lou Diamond Phillips in this. He could potentially do a David Caruso to this show.

Aww, David Caruso in CSI: Miami is so outrageously campy, I think he's worth watching the show for by himself. He's even got the detective walking around with his hands on his hips.

I've been waiting for Phillips to have a breakout show. I think he's a good enough actor to carry a show.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Lou Diamond Phillips appears to be a solid actor who could easily be the lead in a show. He's been enjoyable in his occasional repeating role appearances on "Numb3rs" and I liked him in "Wolf Lake" though the show wasn't the best.

However, IMDb says he's only in 7 of the 20 episodes listed. There are 11 cast members in 15 or more of the 20 episodes most of whom have solid resumes outside the Syfy realm. So if this is correct, Phillips isn't critical to the show.

IMHO, the show quality will depend on the writers and the directors and we have here an all veteran "Stargate" company. As many here list shows that this one might resemble in its overall story arc, the critical factor is how well the "Stargate" old-timers handle creating new characters using the sub-plot mechanism without having someone become a twin of a character in a previous "Stargate."

Since MGM Television and The Syfy Channel are sharing the cost of this, it's going to have to get decent cable ratings to generate revenue for NBCU. They're probably hoping for 2+ million viewers on Fridays, but demand over 1.5 million.

Initial distribution is set for the U.S., Canada, and Britain and likely will sell elsewhere. These Syfy shows generate huge DVD sales. They have, of course, big numbers in the pirated bit torrent download international community. And, unfortunately for Syfy, the core audience DVR's the show which makes it less valuable to advertisers.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Lou Diamond Phillips appears to be a solid actor who could easily be the lead in a show. He's been enjoyable in his occasional repeating role appearances on "Numb3rs" and I liked him in "Wolf Lake" though the show wasn't the best.

However, IMDb says he's only in 7 of the 20 episodes listed. There are 11 cast members in 15 or more of the 20 episodes most of whom have solid resumes outside the Syfy realm. So if this is correct, Phillips isn't critical to the show.

IMHO, the show quality will depend on the writers and the directors and we have here an all veteran "Stargate" company. As many here list shows that this one might resemble in its overall story arc, the critical factor is how well the "Stargate" old-timers handle creating new characters using the sub-plot mechanism without having someone become a twin of a character in a previous "Stargate."

Since MGM Television and The Syfy Channel are sharing the cost of this, it's going to have to get decent cable ratings to generate revenue for NBCU. They're probably hoping for 2+ million viewers on Fridays, but demand over 1.5 million.

Initial distribution is set for the U.S., Canada, and Britain and likely will sell elsewhere. These Syfy shows generate huge DVD sales. They have, of course, big numbers in the pirated bit torrent download international community. And, unfortunately for Syfy, the core audience DVR's the show which makes it less valuable to advertisers.

You'd think, with all the SF books on the shelves, there would be plenty of material for several new SF series. I had always hoped for a Dune series, or something based on Asimov's books. Harry Turtledove writes so many alternate history books that it would be easy to make a series or two based on them. But...

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

You'd think, with all the SF books on the shelves, there would be plenty of material for several new SF series. I had always hoped for a Dune series, or something based on Asimov's books. Harry Turtledove writes so many alternate history books that it would be easy to make a series or two based on them. But...

Rich

Oh man, I would SO like to see a good production of "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"..........

#19 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,664 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

Oh man, I would SO like to see a good production of "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"..........

Ever since I was a child I've longed for a theatrical or TV release of "Citizen of the Galaxy". One of all time favorite books from my childhood ...

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

That was a great book and the final page was truly wonderful.

Rich

spam firewall