Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Ever since I was a child I've longed for a theatrical or TV release of "Citizen of the Galaxy". One of all time favorite books from my childhood ...

I've watched a couple of animated shows that were very realistic. Beowulf is one of them. I'd like to see Footfall done in this manner. Would make a great movie and/or a great series. If you haven't read it, you really should. Written by Nivens and Pournelle, I think. I've read it several times.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

I second the Footfall recommendation.
A brief history of time: BANG!!!!! Expand. Expand faster. Forever. The End (With apologies to Hawking)

#23 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

I don't think watching this as your first Stargate since the original movie will be a problem. It takes place pre-Stargate.

As for series based on other works how about some Chalker? The Well of Souls series would be good.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#24 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

I don't think watching this as your first Stargate since the original movie will be a problem. It takes place pre-Stargate.

As for series based on other works how about some Chalker? The Well of Souls series would be good.

Pre-Stargate? As in Pre SG-1 & SGA? Uh, no.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#25 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

From what i heard its about this:
Spoiler

My only problem so far is when they made a comment that its going to involve a lot of personal romance stories that were missing from previous SG series:nono:

#26 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

the critical factor is how well the "Stargate" old-timers handle creating new characters using the sub-plot mechanism without having someone become a twin of a character in a previous "Stargate."

I swear, if there are anymore False Gods and Loud Iron suited soldiers with staff weapons I’m outta here :lol:

#27 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

Pre-Stargate? As in Pre SG-1 & SGA? Uh, no.

I would have sworn I read that some time back. Guess I can't rely on my old worn out memory anymore. At least that was the first time I was wrong. Yesterday. :P

But I'm pretty sure it's pre-something :lol:

#28 ONLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

Oh man, I would SO like to see a good production of "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress"..........

I'd like to see a production of "Starship Troopers" that is faithful to the book. Of course, that would require audiences to actually think instead of just enjoying the mayhem (and nudity) of the Veerhoven travesty...

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

I would have sworn I read that some time back. Guess I can't rely on my old worn out memory anymore. At least that was the first time I was wrong. Yesterday. :P

But I'm pretty sure it's pre-something :lol:

You might have it confused with Caprica, which will be a Battlestar Galactica prequel.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

You might have it confused with Caprica, which will be a Battlestar Galactica prequel.

You're probably right. That's the sort of thing that drive's my 50 year old son top say "damn, it's fun being around old people." Of course I keep reminding my 18 and 20 year old grandsons to please remind him of that in about 20 years :lol:

#31 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

My only problem so far is when they made a comment that its going to involve a lot of personal romance stories that were missing from previous SG series:nono:

They were? (in reference to personal romance stories missing)

Heck you could argue that at least 50% of the last season of SG-Atlantis was all about the personal romance/relationship stories.

SG-1 also in the late seasons, there was a fair amount of it.

And to me, that helped make the shows more personable and enjoyable as it wasn't just about the adventure.

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

You're probably right. That's the sort of thing that drive's my 50 year old son top say "damn, it's fun being around old people." Of course I keep reminding my 18 and 20 year old grandsons to please remind him of that in about 20 years :lol:

I'm right there with you, OG. At 63, I only remember the simple things ... I think.:nono2:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'm a recent convert to the works of LDP - I hated La Bamba - and I'm looking forward to this show. I don't really care if it relates closely to its predecessors ... they stood on their own in spite of it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#34 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

They were? (in reference to personal romance stories missing)

Heck you could argue that at least 50% of the last season of SG-Atlantis was all about the personal romance/relationship stories.

SG-1 also in the late seasons, there was a fair amount of it.

And to me, that helped make the shows more personable and enjoyable as it wasn't just about the adventure.

SG1 had almost no romance, just a little here and there for each character.

Romance in Atlantis :confused::confused:
You had Teyla get preggers, nothing even shown about romance on that one. Rodney messed around in the last few episode with the Doctor lady.
Am I missing something, I don't remember anything else happening.

#35 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

I've been a Stargate fan since 2003. So this one is for sure being recorded!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#36 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

SG1 had almost no romance, just a little here and there for each character.

Romance in Atlantis :confused::confused:
You had Teyla get preggers, nothing even shown about romance on that one. Rodney messed around in the last few episode with the Doctor lady.
Am I missing something, I don't remember anything else happening.

I like the tech to heck with romance. :lol:
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#37 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Me likes. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#38 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

Seems to be pretty good so far. The only thing I hate is it seems to start just like SGA. Go through a gate end up on and ancient ship (nothing but Atlantis with wings) ship not fully working, losing life support, power struggle of who is going to be in charge......sigh..... They should have just let this be an offshoot of SGA. I miss Teyla, Rodney, Shepard and Ronin.!!!!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#39 OFFLINE   simulated

simulated

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

stargate VOYAGER came to mind while watching this pilot.

I'll tune in next week, but so far I'm on the fence with this new series.

#40 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

I'm not sure what to think of this one. It seems like a completely different show and has the feel of Battlestar Galactica. Also, nothing drives me more batty than the "shaky camera" crap. I'm on the fence as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...