Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

I liked it quite a bit. It's like Stargate has grown up and graduated - the characters aren't cut-and-dry good-guys or bad-guys, they're much more real. Some of the story ideas may be recycled, but I thought the stories in the pilot were told well and it was compelling, so I'll be back.

I totally agree. A a Stargate fan since SG-1 premiered on Showtime back in 1997, I'm very interested in this new series and can only hope that I will get to enjoy it for many years to come.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Not to skew the discussion, but is it just me or has Richard Dean Anderson gotten really fat?

Yeah - I noticed his face was a bit ... puffy. Retirement must be good to him. :)

#53 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Watched the premiere on my DVR today, it better pick up or it won't make a second season.. I thought it sucked...

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,626 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Watched the premiere on my DVR today, it better pick up or it won't make a second season.. I thought it sucked...

What do you mean by "pick up" and "sucked?"

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#55 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

That it tended to be dark and depressing. I watched about 3/4 of it and went to bed. I got bored as did my wife. While with one episode the characters haven't yet been fully developed, I would have no problems with some of the major characters in the first episode being shown to the airlock (the Sergeant and the main scientist come to mind).

While I liked BSG, I'm not sure if a dark, depressing Sci-fi show will survive in today's economic times. We get enough depressing situations in the daily news. Will people want it in their entertainment?

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before.:)
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#56 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

Well they're stuck on a ship in another galaxy, the ship isn't full functioning but it "knows" what the peple onboard need and what planets to go to to go get it. Why not find people in need of a ship and just beam them up or better yet Replicators then you'd have a living ship (Farscape)? Looks like a real Yawner to me. Then again I didn't like Atlantis either or SG1 when they decided to bring in the pryors or whatever they were. Went down hill fast.

#57 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

That it tended to be dark and depressing.

That isn't the problem for me, my whole life is dark and depressing (I like it that way).... No action, and the story line is, well, like Homer Simpson would say, "Booring"

#58 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,265 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

I liked the fact that the characters definitely seemed to have personalities.

I disliked the "Stargate Atlantis meets Star Dreck Voyager" aspect of it.

For the record, I'm a long-time Trek fan but Voyager was, IMO, an abomination.

I also disliked the "9th Chevron" retcon.

#59 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

I also disliked the "9th Chevron" retcon.

Yeah I was thinking (I may have missed the explanation of what that was for) but if the first 8 are for where (8 refering to galaxies) why wouldn't 9 be "when" as in time travel?

#60 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

I liked it quite a bit. It's like Stargate has grown up and graduated - the characters aren't cut-and-dry good-guys or bad-guys, they're much more real. Some of the story ideas may be recycled, but I thought the stories in the pilot were told well and it was compelling, so I'll be back.

+1 .. I'm definitely in for this one and I almost watched it Live :eek:
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#61 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

For the record, I'm a long-time Trek fan but Voyager was, IMO, an abomination.

I think maybe I was one of the five fans that really enjoyed Voyager. I mean come on .. Seven of Nine? Hello!?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#62 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

I'm not sure what to think of this one. It seems like a completely different show and has the feel of Battlestar Galactica. Also, nothing drives me more batty than the "shaky camera" crap. I'm on the fence as well.

Tell me it ain't so! One of the refreshing things about the Stargate shows was that they featured good camera work.

-- Roger

#63 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thank God we have a bunch of other channels for the naysayers!

I think it's an exellent show. I've watched the first episode more than once and find it to be first class.

Y'all go on and watch CSI and leave SG:U to us dark and depressed gruppies.

Oh my! Seven-of-Nine ... now there's an uplifting thought. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#64 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Wow was this bad. Horrible. And I'm a huge Stargate fan, have all of SG1 on DVD, loved Atlantis as well. This was just bad.

#65 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Personally, I think this series has some promise. I'm willing to give it some time to develop a bit more. I'm also a huge fan of Voyager........:D

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#66 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

stargate VOYAGER came to mind while watching this pilot.

I'll tune in next week, but so far I'm on the fence with this new series.

I Felt the same way.
The characters are a mess, it's hard to imagine that this group of crew members being able to do much with the ship other than argue. I also hated the fact that it took a whole two our episode to essentialy get nothing done.
On a positive note it was nice to see Sam again and OMG has Jack gotten Puffy!!! Even with the Camera 10 feet away he was a puffer.

#67 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

I think maybe I was one of the five fans that really enjoyed Voyager. I mean come on .. Seven of Nine? Hello!?

I Loved Voyager also. I liked DS9 even more because it was Dark and unpredictable.

#68 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,326 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Oh my! Seven-of-Nine ... now there's an uplifting thought. :D

Kind of feel sorry for her. No matter what she does, we always recognize her as Seven of Nine. Kinda how Captain Video killed his career. Without the body, of course. :lol:

Rich

#69 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,326 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

I Loved Voyager also. I liked DS9 even more because it was Dark and unpredictable.

And "Hawk" was in it. Yet another actor that had an unforgettable role and will be stuck with it. I saw him in the Atlanta airport one day and he is really impressive. Surrounded by a crowd of people and he stood out clearly.

He lives in NJ, next door to a guy I used to work with.

Rich

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,326 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

I Felt the same way.
The characters are a mess, it's hard to imagine that this group of crew members being able to do much with the ship other than argue. I also hated the fact that it took a whole two our episode to essentialy get nothing done.
On a positive note it was nice to see Sam again and OMG has Jack gotten Puffy!!! Even with the Camera 10 feet away he was a puffer.

Sam will be back in Sanctuary in a little while. I think she looks pretty odd with black hair.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,626 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

That it tended to be dark and depressing. I watched about 3/4 of it and went to bed. I got bored as did my wife. While with one episode the characters haven't yet been fully developed, I would have no problems with some of the major characters in the first episode being shown to the airlock (the Sergeant and the main scientist come to mind).

While I liked BSG, I'm not sure if a dark, depressing Sci-fi show will survive in today's economic times. We get enough depressing situations in the daily news. Will people want it in their entertainment?

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before.:)

It's interesting to bring up the "dark and depressing" issue in the context of home entertainment. I tend to find the crime procedurals in the "dark and depressing" category because despite all the nifty CSI stuff and banter, they stil are about murder and mayhem. Yet they are the ratings leaders.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#72 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head :D

In these times people want optimistic light hearted shows. They don’t want people arguing all the time, constant disasters and confusion or a sense that nobody is leading them in the right direction. All of this plays out in real life and therefore the show offers no escape.

Let’s hope they get it right soon or this will be the last stargate series.

#73 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

OK, they are starting the first exploration on a desert planet. (Dune? Let's hope there are no giant worms!)

I see three options:
1. They stay on the desert planet ala the original Stargate movie. Perhaps they use the flying camera to find a better place on that planet and trek (hmm, Desert Trek?) to it.

2. They all go to the planet and start looking for a better planet thru the star gate on the planet. This would give them lots of new worlds to explore in a short time frame.

3. They find something that lets them fix up the ship and ride along with the ship to look for another planet. I think this one is a long shot.

I'm betting on 2. Finding food and water would be tough for 1 and 3.

Anybody else have any other plots?
A brief history of time: BANG!!!!! Expand. Expand faster. Forever. The End (With apologies to Hawking)

#74 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,937 posts
  • LocationMiddle, TN

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

Yeah - I noticed his face was a bit ... puffy. Retirement must be good to him. :)

See the "Mcgruber" SNL spoofs on YouTube. He looks so old.

1 HR44, 2 HR24s, SWiM 16, SL3 LNB, (CCK) Broadband DECA. DirecTV Subscriber since 2008.

#75 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,626 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

3. They find something that lets them fix up the ship and ride along with the ship to look for another planet. I think this one is a long shot.

It may be a long shot, but I predict the "something" will sort of fix up the ship long enough to look for another planet.
Spoiler

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...