Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

LOL, I feel ya on the Battlestar Galactica comparison. It just seems like the stole too many previously used ideas to make their own show.
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I liked it quite a bit. It's like Stargate has grown up and graduated - the characters aren't cut-and-dry good-guys or bad-guys, they're much more real. Some of the story ideas may be recycled, but I thought the stories in the pilot were told well and it was compelling, so I'll be back.

#43 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I liked it quite a bit. It's like Stargate has grown up and graduated - the characters aren't cut-and-dry good-guys or bad-guys, they're much more real. Some of the story ideas may be recycled, but I thought the stories in the pilot were told well and it was compelling, so I'll be back.

I agree.

I'm always puzzled by complaints about story ideas. When you get to the basic core of a story and compare it, there haven't been any basic new story ideas since the Ancient Greeks. Once you read The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Twelve Labours of Hercules, and throw in a little Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War you might as well forget space adventure stories if you are going to reject them as being unoriginal.

The objective here is to create interesting new characters to put into a continuing story arc with ongoing relationships who face new challenges each week.

Much to my surprise, this new "Stargate" has managed to create new characters in a younger ensemble cast that have the promise of being interesting. They have smoothly introduced them using the Stargate series old farts like Richard Dean Anderson and company, but have headed them off into a new direction well beyond both the Pillars of Hercules and the Pegasus Galaxy.

Yes, if it was set much further into the future they might run into Jean-Luc Picard or Kathryn Janeway. But it's time frame is more or less today using ancient technology that's a bit rusty and falling apart.

Is it going to be among TV's greatest shows ever? Probably not. But it looks like it will be entertaining as the characters develop working through typical human challenges facing all intergalactic travelers. :)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#44 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

I'm always puzzled by complaints about story ideas. When you get to the basic core of a story and compare it, there haven't been any basic new story ideas since the Ancient Greeks. Once you read The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Twelve Labours of Hercules, and throw in a little Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War you might as well forget space adventure stories if you are going to reject them as being unoriginal.

Any critique that something is unoriginal is unoriginal! :lol: It is after all the easiest thing to notice about any story anywhere as long as you've lived at least 20 years or so! Another thing you've got to realize though is that there's a pretty good segment of sci-fi fans that just seem to revel in picking apart every little detail for better or worse every sci-fi show/movie/book that comes along. I also don't get it, it seems to take the fun out of it for me, but oh well if that's what does it for them, to each their own I suppose!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#45 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

I watched the first hour of the opener and I can tell you, I Like It!

Sure, they had some of the older cast there, but that's almost a required send-off for any sequel series.

The new characters are believable and know their craft. If it happens to be a rehash of a rehash story line, oh well. If you want real original, you should be in the Library of Congress and not in front of a TV.

Oh, phrelin, Janeway and Picard? Wouldn't that be one hell of a story line?!?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#46 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

I agree.

I can imagine some overweight ancient Greek used scroll seller sitting there writing about The Odyssey "WORST STORY EVER! The lead character is unsympathetic! The perils are overdone and the ending is predictable!" :lol::lol::lol:
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

From TV by the Numbers Syfy continues ratings roll: Stargate Universe averages 2.35 million in premiere:

OK, as a Stargate fan I must ask if there has even been a Stargate Franchise premiere in four years? (update these numbers beat season premieres of Stargate SG-1 Season 10, Stargate Atlantis Season 3, Stargate Atlantis Season 4, and Stargate Atlantis Season 5).

It edged out Dollhouse in viewers between 9pm-10pm (and calls that out!) and also details the numbers from 9p-11p. Via Syfy press release....

:)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#48 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

I learned in my English lit class that there are only 7 plots in all of literature...or was it 9? SO to say it's just rehashed...EVERYTHING IS! How many stories/movies can you think of where the unknown child/person turns out to be the powerful hero?

All in all I liked it. Maybe, as stated, it's because it's another Stargate premiere series. I wonder how Lou Diamond Philips will get in on this... Maybe he'll be the one they talk to through the stones.

#49 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

Feels a little like a Stargate / BSG combo
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#50 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

Not to skew the discussion, but is it just me or has Richard Dean Anderson gotten really fat?

#51 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

I totally agree. A a Stargate fan since SG-1 premiered on Showtime back in 1997, I'm very interested in this new series and can only hope that I will get to enjoy it for many years to come.

#52 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Not to skew the discussion, but is it just me or has Richard Dean Anderson gotten really fat?

Yeah - I noticed his face was a bit ... puffy. Retirement must be good to him. :)

#53 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Watched the premiere on my DVR today, it better pick up or it won't make a second season.. I thought it sucked...

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Watched the premiere on my DVR today, it better pick up or it won't make a second season.. I thought it sucked...

What do you mean by "pick up" and "sucked?"

My AV Setup

#55 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

That it tended to be dark and depressing. I watched about 3/4 of it and went to bed. I got bored as did my wife. While with one episode the characters haven't yet been fully developed, I would have no problems with some of the major characters in the first episode being shown to the airlock (the Sergeant and the main scientist come to mind).

While I liked BSG, I'm not sure if a dark, depressing Sci-fi show will survive in today's economic times. We get enough depressing situations in the daily news. Will people want it in their entertainment?

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before.:)
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#56 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

Well they're stuck on a ship in another galaxy, the ship isn't full functioning but it "knows" what the peple onboard need and what planets to go to to go get it. Why not find people in need of a ship and just beam them up or better yet Replicators then you'd have a living ship (Farscape)? Looks like a real Yawner to me. Then again I didn't like Atlantis either or SG1 when they decided to bring in the pryors or whatever they were. Went down hill fast.

#57 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

That it tended to be dark and depressing.

That isn't the problem for me, my whole life is dark and depressing (I like it that way).... No action, and the story line is, well, like Homer Simpson would say, "Booring"

#58 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

I liked the fact that the characters definitely seemed to have personalities.

I disliked the "Stargate Atlantis meets Star Dreck Voyager" aspect of it.

For the record, I'm a long-time Trek fan but Voyager was, IMO, an abomination.

I also disliked the "9th Chevron" retcon.

#59 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

I also disliked the "9th Chevron" retcon.

Yeah I was thinking (I may have missed the explanation of what that was for) but if the first 8 are for where (8 refering to galaxies) why wouldn't 9 be "when" as in time travel?

#60 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

+1 .. I'm definitely in for this one and I almost watched it Live :eek:
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...