Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

The guy playing the doctor is either a terrible actor or the character is incredibly sinister or mentally ill. Pretty much every scene with him annoyed me to no end. From my understanding 20 episodes have been ordered and most of them shot so I guess there will be a good chance at straightening things out before any plug is pulled on the series.

While there was a lot of focus in the pilot on the doctor character and the gamer kid there wasn't on others.

However when checking the IMDB database I see that the pilot is in 3 parts and so far we only seen 2. This makes sense since the pilot ended without resolving their critical problem of life support on the ship.

Perhaps the third part will resolve some of the issues. However some of the characters like the Lou Diamond Philips and Ming-Na characters seemed to be nothing more than background.
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

It was a pilot! All character development and setting up the story. Very few pilots are considered great episodes! I'll give it a few more weeks. Saying you hate it after the pilot sounds to me like you hated it before you even watched it. Sorry, but I won't take any opinions of how good it "is" based ojn this one episode.

As for predictions ... I think they will return to the ship and the ship will keep trying to fix itself for the entire first season. That is why they had that timer on the wall. They will not be able to change how long it stays in one place for a while making the drama of a limited amount of time at each planet a plot line. It also allows them to leave characters behind and have to find them later. So many things they can do with such a uncontrollable limitation!

Now ... the real question is who will be the arch enemy that is unstoppable until the second or third season when they meet a more powerful unstoppable arch villain! :rolleyes:
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#83 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

I think maybe I was one of the five fans that really enjoyed Voyager. I mean come on .. Seven of Nine? Hello!?

Well, there's no doubt that Jeri Ryan was easy on the eyes. But did you actually *like* Voyager or was it just a Jeri-Ryan-Delivery-Vehicle for you? :)

#84 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Well, there's no doubt that Jeri Ryan was easy on the eyes. But did you actually *like* Voyager or was it just a Jeri-Ryan-Delivery-Vehicle for you? :)

Who DIDN'T like Jeri Ryan! :D
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#85 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

I liked Voyager, yes. I'm sure I will like SG:U as well.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#86 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

I liked Voyager, yes. I'm sure I will like SG:U as well.

So far I'm not liking SG-U. I also saw Voyager twice.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#87 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Assuming they find something on the desert planet that allows them to stay on the ship, any guesses as to whether it will be a technology or a plant based solution?

If it is tech, then there may be an advanced civilization (probably in ruins) on the planet. Or perhaps the advance scout ships that were sent out (there was a reference to them) brought along a pile of spare parts. All neatly labled of course. :rolleyes:

Maybe it will be a super fast growing plant that converts CO2 to O and tastes just like chicken. :)

Anyway, the acting of the lead scientist leaves something to be desired, but it is the pilot and it is pretty common for the actors to take a few episodes to get into the characters. I'm willing to overlook those issues for a while.
A brief history of time: BANG!!!!! Expand. Expand faster. Forever. The End (With apologies to Hawking)

#88 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

I think we're supposed to not be in full sync with the lead scientist .. from that perspective, I think he's played his part perfectly.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#89 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hawk! http://en.wikipedia....ki/Avery_Brooks

Interesting, I never heard Avery called by that name.
He's doing a crap load of documentries, so I guess life is good for him.

#90 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

It was a pilot! All character development and setting up the story. Very few pilots are considered great episodes! I'll give it a few more weeks. Saying you hate it after the pilot sounds to me like you hated it before you even watched it. Sorry, but I won't take any opinions of how good it "is" based ojn this one episode.

As for predictions ... I think they will return to the ship and the ship will keep trying to fix itself for the entire first season. That is why they had that timer on the wall. They will not be able to change how long it stays in one place for a while making the drama of a limited amount of time at each planet a plot line. It also allows them to leave characters behind and have to find them later. So many things they can do with such a uncontrollable limitation!

Now ... the real question is who will be the arch enemy that is unstoppable until the second or third season when they meet a more powerful unstoppable arch villain! :rolleyes:

All of what your saying is the problem with the show! Been there done that, I am tired of them being out gunned at the start and then by season 3 being able to dispatch the enemy with great ease. The pilot is less than thrilling because it smacks of Atlantis, the ship has major structural problems, Atlantis had major structural problems, the ship is empty, Atlantis was empty. They are cutoff, Atlantis was cutoff.

It would have been so cool if they had gotten to the ship and found lots of cryo freezed ancients just waiting to be revived, maybe Ancients with a fresh perspective like they dont want to asend, they want to explore in human form, they like humans and want to learn more about the milkyway and what has happened since they have been gone.
Who knows anything new, just not the same old same old.

#91 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

All of what your saying is the problem with the show! Been there done that, I am tired of them being out gunned at the start and then by season 3 being able to dispatch the enemy with great ease. The pilot is less than thrilling because it smacks of Atlantis, the ship has major structural problems, Atlantis had major structural problems, the ship is empty, Atlantis was empty. They are cutoff, Atlantis was cutoff.

It would have been so cool if they had gotten to the ship and found lots of cryo freezed ancients just waiting to be revived, maybe Ancients with a fresh perspective like they dont want to asend, they want to explore in human form, they like humans and want to learn more about the milkyway and what has happened since they have been gone.

Who knows anything new, just not the same old same old.

Well then, you're going to be really perturbed that the nemeses in later episodes of the first season are members of
Spoiler
.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#92 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

Looks to me like we can stop worrying if they get off the Destiny or not. I believe they're in for some trying times on a long ride to destinations unknown. And I'm looking forward to the ride.
From the SyFy site About | Stargate Universe | Syfy

In 1994, mankind discovered a network of Stargates that took them to the farthest reaches of the universe and unlocked some of history's greatest secrets. Since that time, they've carried us through travels to numerous planets and battles against relentless villains. They've brought to the surface the wonders of Atlantis and led us to conflict with the dreaded Wraith. Now, humanity is about to cross a new threshold with the activation of a new Stargate that links to incredible Ancient technology. Welcome to Stargate Universe.

A group of soldiers, scientists and civilians, fleeing an attack, find themselves stranded far from Earth on a mammoth Ancient ship known as the Destiny. They must live in the limbo of time and space, cling to the notion of hope, locked on an unknown course in search of home. Now the group's fates lie at the mercy of the ship as they face the challenges of meeting the most basic needs of food, water and air. Through the danger and adventures, some will be revealed as heroes, some will be shown as villains...and some won't make it out at all.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

Interesting, I never heard Avery called by that name.
He's doing a crap load of documentries, so I guess life is good for him.

I don't think he'll ever be recognized for the great actor he could have been. Shame. Don't matter what he does, to me he'll never top his "Hawk" character.

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

Well then, you're going to be really perturbed that the nemeses in later episodes of the first season are members of

Spoiler
.;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................

#95 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

Looks to me like we can stop worrying if they get off the Destiny or not. I believe they're in for some trying times on a long ride to destinations unknown. And I'm looking forward to the ride.
From the SyFy site About | Stargate Universe | Syfy

Dam this does not sound very exciting, but on the bright side for SlyFy it sounds like the episodes will be cheap too make ;)

#96 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

Dam this does not sound very exciting, but on the bright side for SlyFy it sounds like the episodes will be cheap too make ;)

Sure it will be exciting. How many times will the exploration party run in to one eyed one horned flyin' purple people eaters? And variations of same? How many times will they come flying back through the gate only one or two seconds before it closes? How many will get left on a strange world inhabited by strange creatures because the strange creature grabbed their foot before they could get through the stargate? With all those worlds in all those universes just think of the possibilities man :P
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#97 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Sure it will be exciting. How many times will the exploration party run in to one eyed one horned flyin' purple people eaters? And variations of same? How many times will they come flying back through the gate only one or two seconds before it closes? How many will get left on a strange world inhabited by strange creatures because the strange creature grabbed their foot before they could get through the stargate? With all those worlds in all those universes just think of the possibilities man :P

Yeah I am just dying with Anticipation :nono2:
Kill me now :(

#98 OFFLINE   BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 326 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

I don't think he'll ever be recognized for the great actor he could have been. Shame. Don't matter what he does, to me he'll never top his "Hawk" character.

Rich

AGREED
3 HR23-700,1 R22-100, 2 AM21, 5LNB Slimline dish PREMIER NFL SUNDAY TICKET

#99 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Many crime procedurals follow the same pattern in telling a story: crime is committed, crime is covered up, wrong person is accused, search for clues commences, shocking twist is revealed, guilty party is eventually discovered.

So what?

For me it's about how the story is told and whether the characters are compelling, or at least interesting.

I find SG-U fits the bill for me.

#100 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Many crime procedurals follow the same pattern in telling a story: crime is committed, crime is covered up, wrong person is accused, search for clues commences, shocking twist is revealed, guilty party is eventually discovered.

So what?

For me it's about how the story is told and whether the characters are compelling, or at least interesting.

I find SG-U fits the bill for me.

Me too. I hope there's another nearly two million viewers who agree.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall