Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

+3
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Many crime procedurals follow the same pattern in telling a story: crime is committed, crime is covered up, wrong person is accused, search for clues commences, shocking twist is revealed, guilty party is eventually discovered.

So what?

For me it's about how the story is told and whether the characters are compelling, or at least interesting.

I find SG-U fits the bill for me.

Drew you are one "The cup is half Full" type guy :D
Sorry but I want a lot more than that. Anything that's more of the same just turns me off. It's like the old Trek stories, they had about a Dozen scripts that they used in each and every series and these then get used in every other sci-fi show. Like the Ground Hog Day script, The imposter crew member script. the Trojan horse script, the list goes on and on.

#103 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Sorry but I want a lot more than that. Anything that's more of the same just turns me off. It's like the old Trek stories, they had about a Dozen scripts that they used in each and every series and these then get used in every other sci-fi show. Like the Ground Hog Day script, The imposter crew member script. the Trojan horse script, the list goes on and on.

Ah, kill me now .. I've seen everything there is to see. ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#104 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

:)

#105 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

I was very happy with episode 1 of SG:U. I'm already interested in the characters and want to find out more about them. It's sorta like they took the Atlantis concept and did it correct. My problem with Atlantis (and Voyager) was they tried to still be the old series, but couldn't quite do it. It seems they've really tried to separate this series as its own entity. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm watching (er... recording... they should count views within a week for ratings....) tomorrow night.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#106 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

Didn't Isaac Asimov once say that there are no new stories, just old stories redone with new ideas? Something like that.

My wife and I really enjoyed SGU and found that it reminded us of the pilot episode of an old 70's series called The Starlost. Only this time, we hope it is done better, and it most likely will.

#107 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Ah, kill me now .. I've seen everything there is to see. ;)

Thats what made Babylon 5 so great, it had almost none of those rehashed scripts.

#108 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

After watching tonight's episode I'm getting extremely bored. Something better happen on this series soon.

#109 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

Well the episode plot was a bit boring, but we learned about the characters a little more and we already have some out in nowhere, and what or who was that flying off the ship at the end scene?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#110 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

I think maybe I was one of the five fans that really enjoyed Voyager. I mean come on .. Seven of Nine? Hello!?

She made that show... :D

#111 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I liked Voyager, yes.

Me too. I think Voyager got a bad wrap. There were some very good episodes. It ran for 7 seasons so it didn't suck that bad.

#112 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Well the episode plot was a bit boring, but we learned about the characters a little more and we already have some out in nowhere, and what or who was that flying off the ship at the end scene?

I actually thought that tonight's episode was better than the previous week. The characters are getting more developed. The scientist is still a secondary role that I dislike. Perhaps he's this series version of the Dr. Smith from Lost in Space. No one likes him. The Lt character seems to be growing in responsibility. I would have liked to see what happens to the two that gated elsewhere. I figure they're dead or perhaps will result in other aliens pursuing the ship.

The spacecraft detaching from their ship at the end? Another reason to watch the coming episodes.

Overall, not as bad as the first week.:)
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#113 OFFLINE   simulated

simulated

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

guess this ep was ok. I resist because of atlantis, sure get me hooked in good, then cancel the series in hopes I buy the movie. I can't stop thinking this is their business plan.

off topic'ish, 7of9 was in the last leverage episode, and will return with the series in January for anyone whom needs their fix.

#114 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

Perhaps the ship flying off at the end will somehow go and scoop up the folks that got left behind.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#115 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

Perhaps the ship flying off at the end will somehow go and scoop up the folks that got left behind.

I was disappointed about how singular this episode was. There didn't seem to be much of anything else happening for the 12 hours they were on the planet.

I know they were low on clean air, but no one found a mysterious doohickey that does something useful?

I know its one of the first episodes, but if they want to suck me in go with a couple or 3-4 2 hour episodes to get the baseline going.

#116 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

Episode #3 was a continuation of the Pilot. Next week should get into a more normal flow. I keep wondering how they are going to deal with a lack of things like surgical supplies, water, food, computers, etc. Clearly some of these provisions will be coming to light as other parts of the ship open up to the castaways.

#117 OFFLINE   Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Episode #3 was a continuation of the Pilot. Next week should get into a more normal flow. I keep wondering how they are going to deal with a lack of things like surgical supplies, water, food, computers, etc. Clearly some of these provisions will be coming to light as other parts of the ship open up to the castaways.

Or else they'll find a Star Trek replicator device to make food/water/supplies.:D
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP
Samsung UN55B8500
Sony KDS60XBR1
Sony BDP-S300
TiVo HD XL DVR

#118 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Me too. I think Voyager got a bad wrap. There were some very good episodes. It ran for 7 seasons so it didn't suck that bad.

This is a stellar example of just how hard it is to talk about something where opinions can be so subjective. I know there are people who liked Voyager, and I have to say I *loved* the premise. But they started to lose me even during the pilot, which I enjoyed.

I mean, you had a spacefaring race that had warp drive but lacked WATER? I mean, anyone who thinks for a minute knows you can scoop up interstellar hydrogen (the most abundant element in the universe) and combine it with the oxygen that was CLEARLY on all those inhabited planets and, presto, you have water. You have a SUPERB setup in a show where not everyone gets along because of the whole Fed/Maquis thing. By the third or fourth episode, that was completely forgotten. You have a race that mathematically cannot survive (it takes two to produce one and they can never reproduce more than one - cuts your population in half every generation). Etc, etc...

HOWEVER - to some people, these things don't matter. They're looking for other things in a show - or at least those other things are more important. The most obvious case is 7-of-9. And while that might be a little base, it was just the most flagrant example I could think of. Some might be more interested in the relationship between the captain and first officer. Others might just be SFX nuts. It's all relative.

I'm going to give SGU a chance - though I haven't seen the rest of the pilot yet.

#119 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

Last night my wife said "I'm trying to like this show." I think that means it has certain possibilities that could result in a good, long-running series but they need to have made the next two episodes as "plot pattern setters" while further developing the characters. And I hope they do move a little faster. Last night needed some tighter editing with less "endless desert" time and more "back at the ranch" time or something.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#120 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

I mean, you had a spacefaring race that had warp drive but lacked WATER? I mean, anyone who thinks for a minute knows you can scoop up interstellar hydrogen (the most abundant element in the universe) and combine it with the oxygen that was CLEARLY on all those inhabited planets and, presto, you have water. You have a SUPERB setup in a show where not everyone gets along because of the whole Fed/Maquis thing. By the third or fourth episode, that was completely forgotten. You have a race that mathematically cannot survive (it takes two to produce one and they can never reproduce more than one - cuts your population in half every generation). Etc, etc...

We can go on all day about this stuff. What about sound in space? Ships don't make banking turns, etc. etc.... You can pretty much rip any show (or movie) apart, especially Star Wars.

The point is that Voyager was good for some people because:

1 - It was part of the Star Trek universe
2 - Character interaction was interesting in some cases.
3 - Production value was good (decent special effects, music, etc.)
4 - There was interesting Sci-Fi (Time travel, alternate universes etc.)
5 - The story arc was competed with their return to Earth.

So far with SG-U, I can't figure out what kind of show it wants to be. If it's going to be mainly character driven with no interesting sci-fi aspects, I won't be watching long . If I wanted to watch drama driven shows, I'll watch General Hospital. :)

spam firewall