Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SG-U : Stargate Universe October 2

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

And I hope they do move a little faster. Last night needed some tighter editing with less "endless desert" time and more "back at the ranch" time or something.

I agree. Directors do this all the time when they want to fill a 45 minute show length with only 30 minutes of material. A few directors on the running commentaries of the SG-1 DVD's actually admit doing this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

I ended up skipping over the "emotional" BS in a few spots. I'd rather see them stumbling around in sand than the senators wife trying to cry and drink for 2 minutes talking about nothing.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but when they activated the ancient communication devices I was totally lost for about a minute. At first it looked like a flashback but then you realized it was real time. I admit I bailed on Atlantis after a season or two and missed some of the middle seasons of SG1 so maybe they would have made more sense to me if I saw every past episode. I understand the theory behind them but the way the scenes were cut I couldn't tell what was really going on until they talked to Oneil. I also assumed the annoying doctor lied about talking to him in episode 1 and they glossed over it in the last episode, there was a chance to say he had or hadn't, maybe Oneil didn't mention it to keep from having any more problems.

#123 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

I ended up skipping over the "emotional" BS in a few spots. I'd rather see them stumbling around in sand than the senators wife trying to cry and drink for 2 minutes talking about nothing.

That didn't sell very well to me either. The scenes could have been used to more effectively give us insight into the Chloe Armstrong character if they had any more insight when they did this episode. Even so, the writing was weak.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#124 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'll give this series a while to find itself, but certainly next week's episode should give us a better glimpse of what they want to be. Season 1 is likely going to be about fixing stuff, I imagine the season finale will find them up the creek without a paddle and all of a sudden they'll open up a section of the ship with fighter pods or some super weapon which they'll use in episode #1 next season ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#125 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

guess this ep was ok. I resist because of atlantis, sure get me hooked in good, then cancel the series in hopes I buy the movie. I can't stop thinking this is their business plan.

An Atlantis movie? Or something else?

#126 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

I was disappointed about how singular this episode was. There didn't seem to be much of anything else happening for the 12 hours they were on the planet.

I know they were low on clean air, but no one found a mysterious doohickey that does something useful?

I know its one of the first episodes, but if they want to suck me in go with a couple or 3-4 2 hour episodes to get the baseline going.

I agree somewhat ... it would have been nice to have a few more stories told than just the search for special sand and using the communication stones to swap bodies and provide updates. It seems that some of the 12 hours was spent cleaning the clogged filters, because they showed some vignettes about this, and they showed a lot of scenes with the citizens just slouching, I presume preserving their strength to not use up air....

#127 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but when they activated the ancient communication devices I was totally lost for about a minute. At first it looked like a flashback but then you realized it was real time. I admit I bailed on Atlantis after a season or two and missed some of the middle seasons of SG1 so maybe they would have made more sense to me if I saw every past episode. I understand the theory behind them but the way the scenes were cut I couldn't tell what was really going on until they talked to Oneil. I also assumed the annoying doctor lied about talking to him in episode 1 and they glossed over it in the last episode, there was a chance to say he had or hadn't, maybe Oneil didn't mention it to keep from having any more problems.

It was revealed in the latest episode (the 3rd hour of the pilot) that Rush did talk to O'Neill and apprise him of the current situation, and that's why Telford was just sitting there waiting - it was his project and he wanted to be the one to make contact if another opportunity arose.

I'll be honest and admit that I like the scenes that you call "emotional BS", as they fill in the characters background and give them weight. We learned that the Lieutenant (who in my head I keep calling Lieutenant Dan, from Forrest Gump - no idea why, but that's what I think when I see him) lost his parents when he was age 4, he was raised by a priest, he was preparing to be a priest, got a 16 year old pregnant and abandoned his calling, and the priest who raised him died from abuse of alcohol. That's a lot of baggage ... and for sure it will mean something in future episodes.

I hope to learn more about these people, as when I know them better, I'm more invested in them and therefore in the series. I like that connection ...

#128 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

And now on a totally different note, I didn't see any discussion about the swirling sand. Sentient?

#129 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

And now on a totally different note, I didn't see any discussion about the swirling sand. Sentient?

As soon as I saw it, that's what I said. The sand is sentient. Then I knew I was completely a geek and was happy.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#130 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

it would have been nice to have a few more stories told than just the search for special sand and using the communication stones to swap bodies and provide updates.

While I don't necessarily want him on the show, why didn't they gate Rodney back from Atlantis and have him use the communication stones and check out the ancient ship? Isn't he the best equipped of all SG personnel to find out what's wrong with the ship and help fix it (at least SG:A would make use think that)?
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#131 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

There is no question in my mind the swirling sand was sentient, I just wonder how that will play into future episodes? I have a hard time believing the producers would build that up and then just leave it on the planet.

My Setup

#132 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

While I don't necessarily want him on the show, why didn't they gate Rodney back from Atlantis and have him use the communication stones and check out the ancient ship? Isn't he the best equipped of all SG personnel to find out what's wrong with the ship and help fix it (at least SG:A would make use think that)?

That brings up an excellent point regarding the use of the communication stones - they are going to have to come up with some "prohibition" on using them, or this could be a major oversight if they are not used when really needed. For example, there is no experienced medical doctor on board the Destiny, only a "medic". If someone falls ill and needs experienced care or surgery, why not just use the stones and swap in that experienced care, and do the same with a linguist when meeting a new race, or a botanist when finding new plants, etc.? What exactly are the limitations on using the stones? Should there be any?

#133 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

There is no question in my mind the swirling sand was sentient, I just wonder how that will play into future episodes? I have a hard time believing the producers would build that up and then just leave it on the planet.

I thought that as well, but the only way it will play into the story is if any of the sentient beings are trapped in the CO2 scrubbers, I guess, as they are likely never to return to that planet since they seem to be on a one way course!

#134 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

My guess is that the "sand" was an ascended ancient who is helping them out in their own subtle way.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#135 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

As soon as I saw it, that's what I said. The sand is sentient. Then I knew I was completely a geek and was happy.

Ditto. Like the sentient crystal on the SG-1 episode.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#136 OFFLINE   Tomar

Tomar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

What happened to the 2 people who dialed the locked address? Seems strange that they would leave that storyline without a resolution.

Are there going to be an aliens in this series or just them wondering thru space alone?

#137 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Whew was that one boring episode. I am not very excited about where all of this is going, next week is the power crisis whooo looking forward ;)

As for the teleport Crystals, I had the same idea, why not send Carter, Rodney and two doctors over so they can at least get medical help and figure out what the ship is doing and how to fix it.

Now the little critter ship that flew off the mothership at the End, please dont tell me this is going to be the introduction of some sort of new villian.

Edited by dreadlk, 14 October 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#138 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

What happened to the 2 people who dialed the locked address? Seems strange that they would leave that storyline without a resolution.

Are there going to be an aliens in this series or just them wondering thru space alone?

There are Aliens, and those two crew members will be found again, they have the addresses, maybe they can get there on the next stop.

Edited by dreadlk, 12 October 2009 - 05:34 PM.

#139 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

There are Aliens, and those two crew members will be found again, they have the addresses, maybe they can get there on the next stop.

I think that's what the little critter ship is for ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#140 OFFLINE   simulated

simulated

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

An Atlantis movie? Or something else?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288405/

spam firewall