Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Huntsville, AL HD LILs Are Up

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:17 AM

The Huntsville/Florence/Decatur, AL DMA HD Locals-Into-Locals are up this morning! DirecTV is offering all six of the available HD channels here! PQ looks good so far, although it's difficult to judge with some of these sketchy early AM programs. :)

The local channels now available in HD are:

15 WHDF (CW)
19 WHNT (CBS)
25 WHIQ (PBS)
31 WAAY (ABC)
48 WAFF (NBC)
54 WDZX (FOX)

Yaaaay! :)

By the way, our APT feed appears to actually be coming from WHIQ. At least that's what the guide says. This is unlike the SD feed which is from WBIQ. Of course, since all of the APT stations are a simulcast, this is somewhat irrelevant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rebelDog62

rebelDog62

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:34 AM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

#3 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

YAY! :D

I noticed this too before leaving for work. Unfortunately, none of the local network news programs are in HD. Although, I believe WHNT-19 news programming is widescreen, but I don't think it's true HD? It still looks much better than the other network news programs.
H20, HR20, HR21

#4 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, from what I understand, WHNT's news is 16:9 SD.

#5 OFFLINE   MudMover

MudMover

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

SWEET. Now I just need to decide on what to do with my AM21...probably just leave it in the loop...and be able to catch stuff when rain-fade kicks in. But that's great news for NBC/WAFF who's signal is still weak to me.

#6 OFFLINE   grape

grape

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

SWEET. Now I just need to decide on what to do with my AM21...probably just leave it in the loop...and be able to catch stuff when rain-fade kicks in. But that's great news for NBC/WAFF who's signal is still weak to me.

I'm keeping my AM21 connected for those times when those big storms come through. I still want to be able to watch the local stations during that time. But at least I can watch 48 now in HD.

#7 OFFLINE   warchickens

warchickens

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Great Timing.

Now I will be able to watch BAMA beat the heck out of Arkansas in beautiful HD this Saturday.

#8 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

I have cable for internet service (only option). One day, I thought I would give it a shot and try splitting the cable to the TV to see if I could pick up locals. It worked. I've had HD locals through my cable, but I couldn't use the DVR functions that I've gotten addicted to. So, I use that as my severe thunderstorm backup. I live behind a mountain, so I could not use an antenna.

Hmmm... I had Fox and NBC NY stations through D*. I didn't think to check to see if D* turned off those stations. I'm sure they will, though.
H20, HR20, HR21

#9 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:36 AM

am-21 = RETRO TV, yep it stays :lol::lol::lol:
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#10 OFFLINE   jared52

jared52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

I didn't get to check this morning but I am glad to know we got all the channels! I have an indoor antenna that works for the HSV stations but I have never been able to get the CW channel out of Florence. I am now planning on pointing my antenna to BHM to get those locals as well! I can get Fox 6 now even with the antenna pointed to HSV which gives me another NFL game on Sundays since the HSV station shows a different game than the BHM station on most Sundays.

#11 OFFLINE   malibubrad

malibubrad

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

I have had Direct for over 10 years. i can remember the first installer telling me that the Huntsville locals would be added within 30 days then.....LOL They came through 10 years later but i will complain no more........Thanks for all who kept us updated. :rolleyes:
Bradley F. Starks

#12 OFFLINE   Pizzle_Wizzle

Pizzle_Wizzle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

My question...Will DTV provide the sub channels as well? The 19.2, 48.2 ect...Or will the antenna still be required for these

#13 OFFLINE   jennifermcb

jennifermcb

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

I'm so excited about this:) Now off to clean up the DirecTV guide.

#14 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

PLEASE tell me that this means APT is in HD in Birmingham now too. I'm not home to check

#15 OFFLINE   bubba gump

bubba gump

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

I want to start a new thread. How many customers in the Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill-WV area been waiting on Directv and DishNetwork to launch locals in SD or HD. Well as of today it has been 10 years and still waiting and it looks as though we still are geting the same old crap. NOTHING and I am rerady to jump ship and go back to Suddenlink.

#16 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

Finally. Maybe I can will cancel NFL ST Superfan.

#17 OFFLINE   tf92

tf92

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

I just got my upgrade to HD on Monday so I am good to go for the Bama game on Saturday.

#18 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

My question...Will DTV provide the sub channels as well? The 19.2, 48.2 ect...Or will the antenna still be required for these

DirecTV doesn't provide subchannels so you will need the antenna for those...

#19 OFFLINE   bgothard72

bgothard72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:08 PM

PLEASE tell me that this means APT is in HD in Birmingham now too. I'm not home to check

:nono2:

#20 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

I want to start a new thread. How many customers in the Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill-WV area been waiting on Directv and DishNetwork to launch locals in SD or HD. Well as of today it has been 10 years and still waiting and it looks as though we still are geting the same old crap. NOTHING and I am rerady to jump ship and go back to Suddenlink.

These were scheduled for September and I have not seen any announcments yet to say they won't make it...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...