Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

High efficiency splitter?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ISUFan22

ISUFan22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:34 AM

Currently have 2 DirecTV boxes, both DVRs and one is HD (the other is an older SD DVR box). Also have 4 coax lines running into the house to a central location - currently the 4 go directly to 2 rooms.

Adding a new HD DVR and will need to split it (and by this winter it's likely I'll need to split it 4 ways). What is the best, or some of the best high efficiency splitters for HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

You'll need to use a WB6x8 multiswitch. All four cables from the dish will get plugged into that and then the runs to all your DVR's will come off of that. You'll still have capacity for another DVR after you add your new HD-DVR. If DirecTV is coming out to do the install of the new receiver, they will supply the multi-switch for you.

Your other choice would be to add an SWM to your setup. All four cables from the dish would get plugged into that. You would then only need one run to the HD-DVRs (instead of 2). The SD-DVR would still need 2 runs (and would use the legacy ports on the SWM) if it is an R15. The R16 is SWM-compatible so in that case you could reduce down to one cable for that one too. If you wanted an SWM installed, you'd have to purchase it yourself and see if the tech would install it for you.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:53 AM

to piggyback off Merg a bit, you can't just "split" lines like cable/ota lines in a non-swm system.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

to piggyback off Merg a bit

I forbid it! :)

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   ISUFan22

ISUFan22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:58 AM

You'll need to use a WB6x8 multiswitch. All four cables from the dish will get plugged into that and then the runs to all your DVR's will come off of that. You'll still have capacity for another DVR after you add your new HD-DVR. If DirecTV is coming out to do the install of the new receiver, they will supply the multi-switch for you.

Your other choice would be to add an SWM to your setup. All four cables from the dish would get plugged into that. You would then only need one run to the HD-DVRs (instead of 2). The SD-DVR would still need 2 runs (and would use the legacy ports on the SWM) if it is an R15. The R16 is SWM-compatible so in that case you could reduce down to one cable for that one too. If you wanted an SWM installed, you'd have to purchase it yourself and see if the tech would install it for you.

- Merg

They are just shipping the box to us, so no install. At the current time, we had them just ship the new box to "replace" the old one (got us a better deal - as in the HD DVR box for free) but I'll reactivate the SD-DVR later. I really would not need 2 lines running to it anyway, it will just go in the workout room.

However, when we built our house and then when I finished the basement, we have 2 coax lines running to every room. To a couple of the main areas, I have 3 (one for the antenna in the attic). Plus, a Cat6 and Cat5e to each spot as well. I'm setup to go to MRV and/or put all the boxes in the utility room.

Will look into the SWM though, not familiar with 'em at all. I take it with an SWM I can just have 1 line to an HD-DVR but still record 2 programs at once? This would allow me to have OTA to each location...sweet! (as I only have 3 lines to just 2 rooms)

#6 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

If you already have the cabling setup, you could buy your own WB68 switch from solid signal for around $60 (ebay for around $20). The SWM lnb is a nice way to go if you will have 8 tuners or less (DVR's use 2). This is a very informative document on the SWM lnb's.

:)

#7 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

They are just shipping the box to us, so no install. At the current time, we had them just ship the new box to "replace" the old one (got us a better deal - as in the HD DVR box for free) but I'll reactivate the SD-DVR later. I really would not need 2 lines running to it anyway, it will just go in the workout room.

However, when we built our house and then when I finished the basement, we have 2 coax lines running to every room. To a couple of the main areas, I have 3 (one for the antenna in the attic). Plus, a Cat6 and Cat5e to each spot as well. I'm setup to go to MRV and/or put all the boxes in the utility room.

Will look into the SWM though, not familiar with 'em at all. I take it with an SWM I can just have 1 line to an HD-DVR but still record 2 programs at once? This would allow me to have OTA to each location...sweet! (as I only have 3 lines to just 2 rooms)

I had D* ship me a new HR21 for an upgrade as well. They will not automatically shut the old one off. So you can keep using it if you want. If you don't plan on using it right away, call them otherwise you will be paying a monthly fee for it.....

Not all recievers are SWM compatible. Although the SWM8 does have a couple of legacy ports for older recievers.

#8 OFFLINE   ISUFan22

ISUFan22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I had D* ship me a new HR21 for an upgrade as well. They will not automatically shut the old one off. So you can keep using it if you want. If you don't plan on using it right away, call them otherwise you will be paying a monthly fee for it.....

Not all recievers are SWM compatible. Although the SWM8 does have a couple of legacy ports for older recievers.

Thanks.

And the HR2x models are compatible with the SWMs. I don't think I'll go that route ayway as it does not seem like I really need it as I already have 2 coax to each room. It would be a nice-to-have for OTA, but I have a third coax to the 2 main rooms I'd want it in already. Can always add the SWM later.

Will just get a WB6x8 for now.

Question...have not looked - are there bigger models of this? That support more rooms? Just thinking to the future and may get the bigger model if it exists.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

There is a WB616 that supports up to 16 tuners and you can "parallel" multiswitches to extend further. It is considerably more expensive than the WB68.

Remember that by the time you get to 16 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $40 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

#10 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

There is a WB616 that supports up to 16 tuners and you can "parallel" multiswitches to extend further. It is considerably more expensive than the WB68.

Remember that by the time you get to 16 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $40 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

I'm not sure why he needs to "remember" that since the OP was talking about hooking up a total of 3 DVRs which will means that he will have a total of $10 in mirroring fees, and then if he adds any more DVRs after that, it will add $5 in mirroring fees for each additional DVR, but to save you the trouble of making any further similar posts, I will preemptively post the following reminders....

Remember that if you have 2 WB16s, by the time you get to 32 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $80 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

Remember that if you have 8 WB16s, by the time you get to 128 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $320 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

I'm not sure why he needs to "remember" that since the OP was talking about hooking up a total of 3 DVRs which will means that he will have a total of $10 in mirroring fees, and then if he adds any more DVRs after that, it will add $5 in mirroring fees for each additional DVR, but to save you the trouble of making any further similar posts, I will preemptively post the following reminders....

Remember that if you have 2 WB16s, by the time you get to 32 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $80 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

Remember that if you have 8 WB16s, by the time you get to 128 tuners, you're looking at somewhere on the sunny side of $320 in monthly equipment mirroring/lease fees.

Actually, if you assume all hookups are DVR's and are using two cables each, with the WB16, you'd be looking on the sunny side $35 in mirroring/lease fees as the first receiver is covered under the subscription plan. So for 2WB16's that would be roughly on the sunny side of $75 and for 8WB16's that would be roughly on the sunny side of $325.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 25 September 2009 - 07:39 AM.
Sunny side edits

#12 OFFLINE   ISUFan22

ISUFan22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

Actually, if you assume all hookups are DVR's and are using two cables each, with the WB16, you'd be looking at $35 in mirroring/lease fees as the first receiver is covered under the subscription plan. So for 2WB16's that would be roughly $75 and for 8WB16's that would be roughly $325.

- Merg

Exactly. I was wondering where these numbers were coming from. ;)

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Too bad that the WB616 has been discontinued and is no longer an approved item for DirecTv installs. :rolleyes:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

Too bad that the WB616 has been discontinued and is no longer an approved item for DirecTv installs. :rolleyes:

Unless we're speaking here of a DIY'er job of course :) ;

And BTW, the current production model is actually the "MS6X16WB." Same as the WB616, but with weather boots on the inputs and outputs ...

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Actually, if you assume all hookups are DVR's and are using two cables each, with the WB16, you'd be looking on the sunny side $35 in mirroring/lease fees as the first receiver is covered under the subscription plan. So for 2WB16's that would be roughly on the sunny side of $75 and for 8WB16's that would be roughly on the sunny side of $325.

- Merg

Yeah I know, but I was using "Harsh math" exactly as he used it to add to his dire warning to someone who in reality was going to have $10 in mirroring fees, but who for some reason (known only to Harsh) needs to "remember" that all those outputs on a WB16 would allow the OP to potentially add a lot of additional tuners and then have a lot more in mirroring fees.

I'm surprised that Harsh didn't go one step further and point out that the OP could add 10 more single tuner receivers to a single WB16 in addition to his 3 DVRs for a total of $60 in mirroring fees.... instead of the "sunny side of $40" that he warned about... while continuing to ignore that the OP is actually only facing $10 in mirroring fees for the setup that he was describing.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Unless we're speaking here of a DIY'er job of course :) ;

Since DIRECTV doesn't offer pre-installs on residential plant (and they certainly wouldn't offer a 6x16 to someone who didn't have an immediate need).

And BTW, the current production model is actually the "MS6X16WB." Same as the WB616, but with weather boots on the inputs and outputs ...

The site from which you obtained the picture says that both model numbers have been discontinued.

#17 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Since DIRECTV doesn't offer pre-installs on residential plant (and they certainly wouldn't offer a 6x16 to someone who didn't have an immediate need).The site from which you obtained the picture says that both model numbers have been discontinued.

Thats correct. Both are discontinued and no longer approved parts, period.

Just an FYI, any DirecTv switch with WB at the end has weather boots pre-installed. Otherwise there is zero difference.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#18 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

And on the sunny side, everyone should remember that Harsh DOES NOT subscribe to the services of Direct TV.:hurah::hurah:
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#19 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

Since DIRECTV doesn't offer pre-installs on residential plant (and they certainly wouldn't offer a 6x16 to someone who didn't have an immediate need).

I really don't know what you mean, I meant that one would have to purchase and install a WB616 on their own since it is no longer approved by DirecTV for official installs.

...The site from which you obtained the picture says that both model numbers have been discontinued.

Hey, SolidSignal must have just recently updated that as it was definitely available for about $174.95 I think at the time I posted that photo.

#20 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Even before the WB616 was discontinued the installer told me if it went out they would use 2 WB68 with splitters as the WB616 are not carried on the truck or the local warehouse.(It took me 4 days to get the WB616 the first time)

My setup is smaller now I did have a WB68 cascaded off the WB616, Total lines out 20.
HR34, H24-100

spam firewall