Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast beats satellite?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

ah, the joys of Google's AdSense.

Attached Thumbnails

• dbscomcast.gif

Ok - yes, I'm with Comcast because of price.

DIRECTV I'm coming back, but I need TiVo. Family got addicted again after 2.5years on Comcast with TiVo premiere & HD xl.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

Do you believe everything you read.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

I suspect the point related to where you read it :D

#4 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

I think the point is how you need to be careful with Google's AdSense, its all in the setup.

DIRECTV I'm coming back, but I need TiVo. Family got addicted again after 2.5years on Comcast with TiVo premiere & HD xl.

#5 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well, it can be hard to get everything in to 40+70 characters, so let me help them out:

Comcast Beats Satellite (in Picture Outages, Clueless CSRs, and Poor Picture Quality)
See the difference yourself and switch (to satellite) today.

My job actually is writing and editing ads such as this -- not for Google, but for a company whose name ends with an exclamation point.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#6 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I know I sure don't!:D

#7 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'm confused. What is the point of the thread?
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

"Comcast beats satellite"

I sub to Comcast and Dish. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint, the Comcast ad placement on satellite-interest board(s) makes a lot of sense. Based on what I understand from reading online DBS boards over the years, not every sat sub is delighted with their respective provider; additionally it is apparent to me that D* subs are far less satisfied than E*'s.

YMMV :whatdidid

When the time comes that Comcast franchises dump their analog tiers and double their HD offerings from present numbers, they will give satellite a real run.

To my knowledge & personal experience, Comcast has the:

- most subscribers
- best HD picture quality
- nicest CSRs
- best, most responsive tech support*
- best-functioning, bug-free HD DVRs
- quickest, slickest VoD with the most "free" offerings

*I called C* early one morning recently -- the tech showed up before noon - the same day!

Edited by Nick, 24 September 2009 - 10:50 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

When the time comes that Comcast franchises dump their analog tiers and double their HD offerings from present numbers, they will give satellite a real run.

[/SIZE]

I don't think so comcast uses over compressed mpeg 2 and high cost small dvrs they just now moveing to 250-320gb hd in them.

comcast also costs a lot more comcast digital preferred cost just about the same as direct tv hd dvr but comes no hd or dvr that costs $15-$20 /m per box more. also in some areas you need the sports pack to get speed, fox movie channel and a few others.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

I sub to Comcast and Dish. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint, the Comcast ad placement on satellite-interest board(s) makes a lot of sense. Based on what I understand from reading online DBS boards over the years, not every sat sub is delighted with their respective provider; additionally it is apparent to me that D* subs are far less satisfied than E*'s.

YMMV :whatdidid

- most subscribers
- nicest CSRs
- best, most responsive tech support*
- quickest, slickest VoD with the most "free" offerings

*I called C* early one morning recently -- the tech showed up before noon - the same day!

Sorry to burst the bubble of customer satisfaction but check out real customer satisfaction awards and then I might look at Dish's sub growth the last 6 quarters. Numbers seem to go against your opinion.

#11 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

it is apparent to me that D* subs are far less satisfied than E*'s.]

How is it then that D* has ranked higher than E* & Cable in Customer Satisification the last 8 or so years in a row?

J

#12 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

What's D* and E* gonna do? File an injunction to have the ad removed? It's about as vague as you can get.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#13 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

:sure:

Perhaps to better setup adsense to not display ads from comcast.com on a satellite board?

#14 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

It mentions D* and Comcast together, so it has to be posted about.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#15 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

How is it then that D* has ranked higher than E* & Cable in Customer Satisification the last 8 or so years in a row?

J

They did and they may still be rated higher, but as of late it has been abysmal, just my experiences and opinion, but it is a far cry from how it was years ago, even 2 years ago.

#16 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I sub to Comcast and Dish. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint, the Comcast ad placement on satellite-interest board(s) makes a lot of sense.

It does make sense, however if I were running such board, I would block that site URL. You can't catch 'em all, but Comcast is an obvious one, especially if you have members that are mostly sat customers and a good deal donate to be a member. That said, the click through does add to the adsense account balance.

#17 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

J

Sorry, you are wrong there. For 2008, JD Power ranked AT&T U-verse number one. DirecTV averaged 6 or 7 depending on the market. You can read the press release here:

http://www.jdpower.c...aspx?ID=2008204

The ratings are here:

http://www.jdpower.c...ce-ratings/west

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

Sorry to burst the bubble of customer satisfaction but check out real customer satisfaction awards and then I might look at Dish's sub growth the last 6 quarters. Numbers seem to go against your opinion.

You're (not your) not bursting any bubble -- I have no bubble, no illusions about the MCVP business. My opinions are, as I said previously, based on my own "knowledge & personal experience".

On the subject of changing providers, I wouldn't even consider switching to D*, what with all their problems, renowned glitches (brrriippp!) and interminable updates. When all is said and done, all I want to do is watch tv. I don't need to make a hobby (or a career) out of it.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Sorry, you are wrong there. For 2008, JD Power ranked AT&T U-verse number one. DirecTV averaged 6 or 7 depending on the market. You can read the press release here:

http://www.jdpower.c...aspx?ID=2008204

The ratings are here:

http://www.jdpower.c...ce-ratings/west

Averaged 6 or 7? What are you looking at? I clicked on your links and saw D* in the top 3 for all areas of the nation?

This is the one I was looking at...http://www.theacsi.o... & Satellite TV

J

#20 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

Averaged 6 or 7? What are you looking at? I clicked on your links and saw D* in the top 3 for all areas of the nation?

This is the one I was looking at...http://www.theacsi.o... & Satellite TV

J

I was looking at customer service. In the west they are 6th. In others they are higher, but not number one, not even in overall satisfaction. DirecTV used to get the JD Power award every year. Not anymore......I bet the numbers really slip at the end of this year.

I had not heard of the index you linked to. I wonder how the different surveys are conducted and why one is so different from the other (JD Power vs ACSI). You site does have an interesting summary relating the increase in customer service being related to partnerships with other service providers:

Cable/Satellite TV
Viewer satisfaction among subscribers to cable and satellite television declined 2% to 63. Even though there has been improvement among some, it seems difficult to move the ACSI needle much for the industry as a whole. DirecTV appears to be different. It has greatly extended its lead over DISH Network. Just two years ago the two were tied at 67, but now DirecTV stands atop the category, up 4% to 71. DISH fell for a third straight year - down 2% to an historical low of 64.

Because satellite TV companies partner with telecommunications companies in order to offer additional service packages, such as voice and Internet, it is likely that the partner companies have an effect on the satisfaction their customers. DirecTV’s voice partner Verizon is the ACSI leader in its industry, while DISH Network’s partner Sprint Nextel is at the opposite side of the scale. As is typically the case, the health of a company’s customer relationship is reflected in stock price movements. DirecTV’s share price has fallen 19% over the past twelve months, about half the market average. DISH has dropped 61% over the same period.

Among cable TV providers, Cox Communications leads for a sixth straight year and reaches an all-time high with an ACSI score of 66. But Comcast, the largest US cable company in the country, has made an even bigger leap, up 9% to 59. Over the past year, Comcast has used a novel approach in customer communications. The company monitors customer feedback on blogs and via the social networking site Twitter in order to identify disgruntled customers and address customer dissatisfaction on a one-to-one basis. Charter Communications has moved in the opposite direction, down 6% to an ACSI score of 51, a record low for any company in the 15-year history of ACSI measurement. Its stock has been delisted and is trading around a nickel.

Edited by wildbill129, 24 September 2009 - 05:24 PM.

spam firewall