Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless access?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

My 722 is in a location where it would be very difficult to get an Ethernet cable up to my router. Is there a way to get the DVR onto my wireless network? That is, a type of box that would connect to it with a short Ethernet cable and then communicate wirelessly to my router?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

It's called an ethernet bridge.

I do not use one, so I can't detail the set up, but search for "ethernet bridge" and there are many descriptions.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

It's called an ethernet bridge. ...

Another name is "Game Adapter."

#4 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Wireless Game Adapter should work, but also creates another small mess of wires in your cabinet.

Another option is that the VIP722 (and many other Dish Receivers) has a Zyxel Powerline adapters built it.

I picked up a PL-100 for $18 and plugged it into a spare output on my router, instantly my VIP 722 and both my VIP211K all had internet access. The 211k's don't seem to use it, but my VIP722 can now download and I can program it remotely.

NOTE: These do not work well with surge protectors, so you may have to plug your 722 directly into an outlet.

#5 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

So would you need two of these then?? I'm in the exact same boat, already tried a buffalo access point and had to send it back to newegg. A netgear is on the way, but this sounds too easy. And where'd you pick em' up for that price!?

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

So would you need two of these then?? ...

Just one. The VIP receivers have the unit built into them. Again, you may not be able to go this route if you use a surge protector or UPS.

#7 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Should of looked it up, sorry. Failed Memory.

First one I got for $23.99 (minus cashback) from buy.com.

I got a 2nd one for my Hava on eBay for $21 (minus eBay bucks).

#8 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Crap wish I would have checked this thread before I grabbed the Netgear router...Oh well, hopefully that works and if not I absolutely know what to get, thanks!!

#9 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

If your receiver is plugged directly into the wall you can make use of the built in HomePlug adapter. That way you only need one adapter plugged in near your router. If you can't plug the receiver directly into the wall or don't want to, you can use a second external HomePlug adapter plugged into the wall somewhere near your receiver and run an Ethernet cable from it to the receiver. With that technique you need two adapters. Another option is to get a power strip that has a specific outlet that supports HomePlug devices. They are not easy to find but do exist. With one of those you can plug your receiver into the HomePlug outlet and use just one external adapter.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#10 OFFLINE   saiyan

saiyan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

I recommend D-Link DAP-1522 which can be used as either a wireless AP or bridge and has a 4-port switch. I use one in my living room to connect my ViP622 and a VoIP phone to my wireless home network.

#11 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

I use an Asus WL-330gE, set to ethernet adapter mode, connected to a switch mounted in my AV cabinet:

Posted Image

http://usa.asus.com/...H8EmdWucHDpYOb8

This allows all the devices in my AV cabinet to connect online.

PS: the thing is ridiculously tiny. An amazingly versatile little device, as I'm only using it in 1 of the 4 ways it can be used.

#12 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

I recommend D-Link DAP-1522 which can be used as either a wireless AP or bridge and has a 4-port switch. I use one in my living room to connect my ViP622 and a VoIP phone to my wireless home network.

Brilliant piece of kit. I use one to connect not only the 722 but also the BluRay DVD player to my network. Easy to setup and very secure using WPA2.

Have another one connecting several desktop PCs and a third connecting the XBox360, because they are all in rooms too far away from the router and I didn't want cables trailing through the house.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...