Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Direct TV New Jersey locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_........_*

Guest_........_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:19 PM

I live in Newark New Jersey and I was wondering why Direct TV does not give me all of New Jersey's television stations.

I do get WWOR 9, WNET 13, WXTV 41, WNJU 47, WNJM 50, WMBC 63 and WFUT 68.

I do not get WNJS 23, WMGM 40, WGTW48, WNJT 52, WWAC 53, WNJB 58, WWSI 62 and WUVP 65.

Is there a reason Direct TV doesn't offer all New Jersey stations? How do they pick and choose who to carry?

I would rather have more of these New Jersey channels than some of the ones I have now like WLIW 21 (Long Island) WLNY 55 (Long Island) and WRNN 62 (Albany).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:37 PM

WRNN is actually now located at the Palisades Center Mall in Nyack - they used to be centered in Kingston, NY. I do believe they still have a studio there, though. WLNY 55 is probably the best of the "mustcarry" stations, they've got a lot of popular syndicated programming as well as Knicks/Rangers/Devils/Islanders/Nets games when they're pushed off of YES or MSG/FSNY. I'm surprised you don't like TV55.

As far as those other NJ locals, they probably didn't ask for mustcarry coverage or the signals aren't strong enough to transmit to Directv's POP in the area. As far as the supposed bias against NJ coverage, I'd argue that the Hudson Valley is largely ignored by the networks. I can't tell you the last time a reporter from WNBC, WCBS, or WABC has come into Dutchess County in New York. Anything north of Yonkers they don't seem to care about, so we're largely ignored and rely on the paper for local news, even for weather. New Jersey OTOH gets their own bureau on many of those stations as well as about half of the news coverage.

#3 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 01:03 PM

I live in Newark New Jersey and I was wondering why Direct TV does not give me all of New Jersey's television stations.

I do not get WNJS 23, WMGM 40, WGTW48, WNJT 52, WWAC 53, WNJB 58, WWSI 62 and WUVP 65.

I belive almost all of the stations mentioned above are in the Philadelphia DMA, and as such will be carried only with the Philly locals. There are no "New Jersey" locals per se, each one is included in one of the two DMAs (Philly or NYC) that cover the state.

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:28 PM

Remember Not All Channels in All Area's are available on Direc Tv. There are a great many cities on Direc Tv that don't carry all the networks. (i.e. UPN, WB, and PAX TV Stations) For The most part Direc TV trys to get most area's major network stations ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox affiliates.

spam firewall